Archived Help with Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I started working a few months ago and I am having issues with my schedule. I use a form to say when I am NOT available and they just schedule me anyway. I have spoken to several people and all just ignore it and say I have to call out. I can't even tell them a week before my shift and tell them to take me off. I have to find someone to replace me. I can't call out a week ahead of time..
I have to wait until 2 hours before my shift to call out.. which I am sure will be used to fire me since I am within my 90 days..
What can I do? I have tried to discuss with my supervisor and others..

I was told that within my first 90 days I cannot change when I’m available or request any time off (other than what I needed off as of when I was hired)

I was told that within my first 90 days I cannot request any time off (other than what I needed off as of when I was hired)

I could be wrong, but that sounds like it's probably illegal. You sure they they didn't say you cannot call off during your first 90?

I could be wrong, but that sounds like it's probably illegal. You sure they they didn't say you cannot call off during your first 90?
I’m sure that’s what I was told. I was just hired so maybe it has to do with the holiday season

They don’t have to give time off at all. There’s nothing illegal about not allowing time off
Jury duty? Incapacitating illness/injury requiring time in a hospital? There are plenty of reason's why someone can call off and not get fired.

It's usually that you can't change your availability in your 90. Also, can't request certain days (black friday, cyber Monday) or vacation before the new year. Individual days should be fine.

Jury duty may be the one exception. Family medical leave actually doesn’t provide protection until you’ve workedat least one year and a certain number of hours. Individual states may provide additional protections but my state does not. That’s not to say they should fire you or will fire you but they can

Sorry.. I should point out that I am part time and still in high school.. so I had a few Saturdays I was not available due to school events. I said I was not available and they scheduled me anyway.. It feels like the process sets people up to fail..

When I was hired it was in September and I let them know at the interview that I had a vacation planned for and paid for in October over Halloween. Had no problem at my store for that.

If you gave them proper notification at the interview process, in writing as Yetive said, it could be just a mistake. That happened to me once. No one took my shift, so I was told to call out the same day as my shift, and telling the LOD that reason kept it from showing up as an attendance problem.

Sorry.. I should point out that I am part time and still in high school.. so I had a few Saturdays I was not available due to school events. I said I was not available and they scheduled me anyway.. It feels like the process sets people up to fail..

Did you give them specific dates during your interview? If so point that out to your HR. If you didn’t then they don’t have to approve your requests off. At least in my store we try to accommodate as many time off requests as possible and it’s on a first come first serve basis. Side note: you can request day off during your first 90 but you cannot change your availability during your first 90 days

To be honest stores were specifically told not to hire people unavailable on Saturdays and Sundays. When you were hired you signed an availability sheet. Which allowed you to list days you cant work. Were your dates on it? If not you are SOL

Let this be a life lesson. Get everything in writing.

Yes.. I did all that. For example, at my interview I said I was unavailable during band camp and they scheduled me anyway. I fill in some form and say when I am available and I get scheduled anyway.

The part I do not understand, is how I am unable, even a whole week out, I can not tell them I am not available and get taken off the shift. I have to wait until 2 hours before and call out. How is that helpful to them?.. I guess I need to find the store manager since no one else is able to help me understand.. As it happens, this coming Saturday is the last weekend I can't work.. so maybe if I survive this last call out, I should be good for the rest of the year..

Yes.. I did all that. For example, at my interview I said I was unavailable during band camp and they scheduled me anyway. I fill in some form and say when I am available and I get scheduled anyway.

If you signed a form that listed your availability and any dates that you needed off, then simply go to HR and remind them that you informed them in advance during the interview but was accidentally scheduled. That form is an agreement between you and the store so they have to uphold it.

Go back to HR and ask to see the availability commitment you signed. And if the dates are on there it’s politely point that out. Did you give specific dates or did you just say something like “I have band camp at the end of October, I’ll need off then.” Because if you didn’t give specific dates and didn’t put in a time off request in time that’ll still be on you.

Why only 2 hours? I've had days where I had an evening shift and I knew by mid-morning I'd be too sick to make it through the shift. I'd call out 6 or so hours in advance, so if they wanted to ask someone to come in they had more time to find someone.

If you signed a form that listed your availability and any dates that you needed off, then simply go to HR and remind them that you informed them in advance during the interview but was accidentally scheduled. That form is an agreement between you and the store so they have to uphold it.

This. Ask to see the availability form *you signed it you have every right to* If the dates are on there they will take your shift off, no questions asked.

Otherwise it's on you.

Why only 2 hours? I've had days where I had an evening shift and I knew by mid-morning I'd be too sick to make it through the shift. I'd call out 6 or so hours in advance, so if they wanted to ask someone to come in they had more time to find someone.

This is an asants thing. At my store if you try to call that far in advance they will tell you to call back later in case you feel better. Dumb in my opinion but some leaders are too lazy to try to get your shift replaced honestly

Last edited:
I can't quite remember how it went when I first started. I was in highschool as well, but I didn't do any school events or anything so I just said "I can start at 3:30" and they adhered to it, weekends I was available 12am-12am.

I know I had slight problems when I first started out with the schedule. You just have to talk to your HR person. You pretty much need to be available every weekend already, so don't be surprised if you're going to be forced to not be able to attend some school events.

It was easy for me because I never did any school events, I just did school, did any homework, then had the day to do whatever. I did have Band class that performed at Pepfests and Football games, I was asked to join but I never ever went, just didn't want to. So when I was in school I had all the time after to just work, then my senior year came and I was able to get out of school 4 hours early to go to work at 11am. It was good.

At my store we will take call ins as early as the day before. You can tell me two weeks before that you won’t be able to make that shift and I’ll try to replace it. But I’ll still tell you to call the day of. I have 100+ TMs to deal with I won’t remember in two weeks that you “called out” and you may get marked as a NCNS. Plus if you give me a heads up and I replace your shift I’m still counting you as a call out. If you know a week ahead of time that still gives you time to utilize the swap board and talk to your coworkers and possibly get it covered then it wouldn’t go against your attendance. The 2 hour thing is you have two hours to call in after the scheduled start of your shift for you’ll be a NCNS

For new TMs under 90 days, your availability sheet you signed when hired is concrete for these 90 days unless there is some accepted circumstances such as school schedules or other matters approved by management. If you are getting scheduled outside your availability, then keep harassing your ETL and HR.

If your schedule changes greatly from week to week, then Target or retail in general is not your place.

I am not sure what the time off rules for under 90 days are now. But you need to have them submitted before the schedule is posted (usually 2.5 weeks in advance).

Last edited:
For new TMs under 90 days, your availability sheet you signed when hired is concrete for these 90 days unless there is some accepted circumstances such as school schedules or other matters approved by management.

If your schedule changes greatly from week to week, then Target or retail in general is not your place.

Yeah I had a lady come in with a 60 day calendar of days she can be scheduled and days she cannot. It was pretty much 4 random days she could work and 3 she could not.

I feel like on call jobs are better for people like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back