Help :(

When I was called to come in for orientation back in July I was asked if I can work Thanksgiving and Christmas and I said no. I work at a location in my college town and live 800 miles away and got a plane ticket to go home for Thanksgiving week. (Mind you, I was hired for a seasonal back to school position and have gotten no clarification if I’m on board or still seasonal.) I checked my schedule last week and saw that the only day I’m scheduled is black Friday of course. I have asked every coworker if they can cover for me and it seems to be an all hands on deck situation. I tried talking to my TL about it and was basically told that I should have not been hired if I cannot work the holidays and good luck finding a cover which left me in tears. I want to approach my ETL about this but don’t know what to do. At this point all I can do is call out because it’s too late to put my two weeks in. I want to keep my job but I feel like a total doormat right now.

You need to go to your ETL Remind him that you had agreed to this time off when you were hired. Also tell him what days you will be gone over December break. Alternately, go to your HR with the same information. Explain that you couldn't find anyone to take the shift, and ask to be taken off the schedule. You may want to gently remind them that they hired you knowing this information.

When I was called to come in for orientation back in July I was asked if I can work Thanksgiving and Christmas and I said no. I work at a location in my college town and live 800 miles away and got a plane ticket to go home for Thanksgiving week. (Mind you, I was hired for a seasonal back to school position and have gotten no clarification if I’m on board or still seasonal.) I checked my schedule last week and saw that the only day I’m scheduled is black Friday of course. I have asked every coworker if they can cover for me and it seems to be an all hands on deck situation. I tried talking to my TL about it and was basically told that I should have not been hired if I cannot work the holidays and good luck finding a cover which left me in tears. I want to approach my ETL about this but don’t know what to do. At this point all I can do is call out because it’s too late to put my two weeks in. I want to keep my job but I feel like a total doormat right now.
The amount of times I have dealt with or heard this exact same problem is about a million. When you were hired im sure they just wanted to get you in the door and weren't concerned about Thanksgiving. If you have good attendance and never called off before then you should be fine to do it black Friday. I always ask when hiring people close to the holidays about their availability and we always had an availability paper for the holidays we'd have them fill out. If they couldn't work key days then they didn't get hired.

No one wants to work the holidays. But unfortunately working in retail it's a requirement and you should know what you are getting yourself in to and not ask for special treatment. I have seen many people adjust their schedule to be a team player and pull their weight, the ones that don't typically don't last too long.

Did you put in a time off request? In the future please do so, even though you told them in July a request will serve as a reminder. I would talk with Etl the worst that could happen is they say no. Are you a checkout advocate if so, anyone can take your shift so ask everyone in all departments. I gave up a thanksgiving day shift once and someone took it. Good luck. Also be sure to give up shift in the app possibly an on demand team member could take the shift.

Hey I would also talk with hr team members they can’t take you off schedule but, they may know of someone looking to pick up a shift.

Chances are everyone is on for black friday. Remind your etl of your situation and hope for the best. Remind them now about christmas because they are probably making that schedule or already have. Always put in time off requests if there are days you know you cant work.

Did you put in a time off request? In the future please do so, even though you told them in July a request will serve as a reminder. I would talk with Etl the worst that could happen is they say no. Are you a checkout advocate if so, anyone can take your shift so ask everyone in all departments. I gave up a thanksgiving day shift once and someone took it. Good luck. Also be sure to give up shift in the app possibly an on demand team member could take the shift.
I always put my time off requests in my time as soon as you are allowed, I believe it is 4 months ahead of time. This way you can plan without fear of being scheduled. Also I've found it's more likely you get approved if they aren't thinking that far ahead.

I have received off a few inventory days due to requesting off months in advance before we even know the inventory date.

Did you specifically request time off in the system? Or nail down with a leader the actual days/dates that you can't work?

Back