Hey all! New fulfillment TM

original.gif

Welcome-Aboard-Devid-Tennant-On-Doctor-Who.gif

The job is pretty easy. I'd even argue that it's the easiest job you could ever have at Target, haha. You literally walk around the store and shop. The only things I would consider hard about fulfillment is that you will have to dig to get the items you need, so you need a lot of patience. You have to keep your INF% low or else your TL or ETL will coach you for it. You also have to be quick on your feet, so no lazy walking at 1mph. You have a time limit to get your orders done, and if you go past that time limit, you pretty much affect the entire teams score, and you don't want to be the one to drag the team down. If you're a hard worker, you'll notice some things like how much you are picking compared to your other team members, or how much fast you're getting your picks done than they are. Don't worry about any of that, just do you and keep your head down. The packing stuff is relatively easy once you know how to work the wat tape machine, bubble wrap machine, and learn the box codes. Palletizing boxes is easy if you know how to stack. I did OPU and SFS for 4 years, and I loved doing it. Had the best numbers on the team when I was a regular picker and if other TMs didn't pull their own weight, it just gave me a reason to not be bored at work or do other stuff like autofill, truck unload, etc. Good luck and have fun, and welcome to TBR!

The job is pretty easy. I'd even argue that it's the easiest job you could ever have at Target, haha

Ummm.....no. This is the attitude that causes my ETL to schedule some rando from Tech, Style, Seasonal GM, or Beauty for OPUs and then wonder why INFs are in the red. It's because fulfillment is only easy in theory if everything else is done right in the store and right on time. In reality, being good at fulfillment requires a lot of fast thinking and knowledge about the store. We're currently reprofiling all of our backroom (ugh!). As I told one of our DBOs who was complaining, "You need to relearn your aisle and memorize it. I need to relearn every single aisle in the store and memorize it so I can spot a single item out of place in less than a minute. At the same time I have to do that, I need to relearn where everything is in Style as they are moving everything around to make up for the overall lack of product coming in. I also, have to know where all the damn pool supplies have been flexed to from day to day. I have to know the size and amount of every box of freight that comes off the truck just in case I need something still in receiving. And really so much more." (Note: this was a new seasonal hire "DBO". The regulars at my store don't challenge me as having an easy job.)

Doing fulfillment is easy. Doing it well....not so much.

Ummm.....no. This is the attitude that causes my ETL to schedule some rando from Tech, Style, Seasonal GM, or Beauty for OPUs and then wonder why INFs are in the red. It's because fulfillment is only easy in theory if everything else is done right in the store and right on time. In reality, being good at fulfillment requires a lot of fast thinking and knowledge about the store. We're currently reprofiling all of our backroom (ugh!). As I told one of our DBOs who was complaining, "You need to relearn your aisle and memorize it. I need to relearn every single aisle in the store and memorize it so I can spot a single item out of place in less than a minute. At the same time I have to do that, I need to relearn where everything is in Style as they are moving everything around to make up for the overall lack of product coming in. I also, have to know where all the damn pool supplies have been flexed to from day to day. I have to know the size and amount of every box of freight that comes off the truck just in case I need something still in receiving. And really so much more." (Note: this was a new seasonal hire "DBO". The regulars at my store don't challenge me as having an easy job.)

Doing fulfillment is easy. Doing it well....not so much.
The job itself is extremely easy IMO, but you're right, it's easy if everyone else is on top of their game as well. I knew the layout of my store and knew where to dig. I did deal with like 80% of my orders not on the shelves and not located in the backroom. I guess I just found it to be extremely easy because I knew the layout and knew the stores bad habits like the back of my hand.

The job is pretty easy. I'd even argue that it's the easiest job you could ever have at Target, haha. You literally walk around the store and shop. The only things I would consider hard about fulfillment is that you will have to dig to get the items you need, so you need a lot of patience. You have to keep your INF% low or else your TL or ETL will coach you for it. You also have to be quick on your feet, so no lazy walking at 1mph. You have a time limit to get your orders done, and if you go past that time limit, you pretty much affect the entire teams score, and you don't want to be the one to drag the team down. If you're a hard worker, you'll notice some things like how much you are picking compared to your other team members, or how much fast you're getting your picks done than they are. Don't worry about any of that, just do you and keep your head down. The packing stuff is relatively easy once you know how to work the wat tape machine, bubble wrap machine, and learn the box codes. Palletizing boxes is easy if you know how to stack. I did OPU and SFS for 4 years, and I loved doing it. Had the best numbers on the team when I was a regular picker and if other TMs didn't pull their own weight, it just gave me a reason to not be bored at work or do other stuff like autofill, truck unload, etc. Good luck and have fun, and welcome to TBR!

Um... prepping, packing, and back stocking cases you open are pretty easy until you start back stocking two gallon jugs of Tide or 40 lbs of dog food. And picking is "easy" to stay in the green, but a good picker walking for an eight hour shift walks 8 to 11 miles. 🤯

Edited to add: and keeping INFs low means being an investigator and remembering all the end and side caps that products magically aren't tied to!

Um... prepping, packing, and back stocking cases you open are pretty easy until you start back stocking two gallon jugs of Tide or 40 lbs of dog food. And picking is "easy" to stay in the green, but a good picker walking for an eight hour shift walks 8 to 11 miles. 🤯

Edited to add: and keeping INFs low means being an investigator and remembering all the end and side caps that products magically aren't tied to!
When I was an OPU TM, I always found this stuff to be pretty easy, even when the salesfloor TMs made a mess in the backroom and aisles. I think it was because I would treat OPU like a video game. I was always focused on my score, wanting to be on top, and also being able to find items in places they're not tied to, or finding them in random vehicles in the back. I probably got too used to that, which made the job feel easy for me. Sorry, but I disagree about OPU being challenging. It has challenging tasks, no doubt, but I always felt OPU was criminally easy. It was just frustrating when too many dropped in a short amount of time. Have you ever had shifts where you were the only closing OPU TM for an entire shift? I used to be exactly that, and for almost an entire year, and I worked at one of the highest volume stores in my district.

When I was an OPU TM, I always found this stuff to be pretty easy, even when the salesfloor TMs made a mess in the backroom and aisles. I think it was because I would treat OPU like a video game. I was always focused on my score, wanting to be on top, and also being able to find items in places they're not tied to, or finding them in random vehicles in the back. I probably got too used to that, which made the job feel easy for me. Sorry, but I disagree about OPU being challenging. It has challenging tasks, no doubt, but I always felt OPU was criminally easy. It was just frustrating when too many dropped in a short amount of time. Have you ever had shifts where you were the only closing OPU TM for an entire shift? I used to be exactly that, and for almost an entire year, and I worked at one of the highest volume stores in my district.

I don't do OPU much. I primarily do SFS. It's fun, but walking 10 miles a day is challenging physically, at least for me! I walked 68 miles last week, just at work. I power walk while picking.

I don't do OPU much. I primarily do SFS. It's fun, but walking 10 miles a day is challenging physically, at least for me! I walked 68 miles last week, just at work. I power walk while picking.
How old are you? I used to be 130lbs overweight and did not struggle with the physical labor at all. I did come from warehouses though, so I was/am used to walking, lifting, and rushing all the time. I'm in my early 30s. Our bodies are not always the same though. When I was big, I had joint pain and back pain and was still ok with doing all that work. When I lost the weight, that pain went away. I know some people who are light but have joint pain and other problems, so I understand their struggles when it is health related. If you are just not used to the physical labor, you will eventually get used to it and you will laugh at walking 10 miles a day.

The most important part of that is having the right shoes.
Working signing I swear I walked the store 100 times in a day.

Having good shoes makes all the difference in the world.

Back