Holiday Pay

Nauzhror

Service Advocate, Formerly GSA
How is holiday pay calculated? Earlier last week I checked Kronos and it seemed like I was being paid for 6.5 hours on Thanksgiving. This was based on Kronos showing I had worked 6.5 hours during the week than I actually had. Today I double checked Kronos, and it shows that I worked 57 hours and 45 minutes last week. If I actually do the math though and add all my shifts up I worked 49 hours and 43 minutes, which seems to suggest that I was paid for 8 hours and 2 minutes of work on Thanksgiving. When I saw it was 6.5 hours I'd assumed that meant I was getting 1/5 of my weekly average or something along those lines instead of a full 8 hours, but since it went up as the week continued, is it somehow related to the amount of hours you work on the week the holiday is in?

I think that if you're eligible for holiday pay, you automatically get 8hrs. If you check Kronos, you can tap the little... grid? button on the bottom left of the "My Timecard" page and it will show you your totals for the week.

Oh even I see in my Kronos around 8hrs . I thought it’s just Kronos playing tricks with me . But the timeclock shows only the actual hours worked .

How is holiday pay calculated? Earlier last week I checked Kronos and it seemed like I was being paid for 6.5 hours on Thanksgiving. This was based on Kronos showing I had worked 6.5 hours during the week than I actually had. Today I double checked Kronos, and it shows that I worked 57 hours and 45 minutes last week. If I actually do the math though and add all my shifts up I worked 49 hours and 43 minutes, which seems to suggest that I was paid for 8 hours and 2 minutes of work on Thanksgiving. When I saw it was 6.5 hours I'd assumed that meant I was getting 1/5 of my weekly average or something along those lines instead of a full 8 hours, but since it went up as the week continued, is it somehow related to the amount of hours you work on the week the holiday is in?
What is your current average hours?

Divide that by 5 days and it comes out to 6.2.
But I got 8 hours and 2 minutes of pay on Thanksgiving. Hence the confusion about where that came from. It shows as 6.5 hours earlier in the week, but changed as the week went on.

I worked 49 hours and 43 minutes, Kronos says I worked 57 hours and 45 minutes.

I'm not a TL. I got 8 hours of holiday pay. It also lists my cumulative hours as 48, but I only worked 40. It freaked me out when I saw that I had 40 hours and I still had one more day to work. Then I clicked to see the break down.

I know this is an old thread but I figured it better off to revive it than start a new one.

I'm a TL, if I work on a Holiday like Memorial day, I get paid 8 hours holiday plus time and a half. Now what happens if I have Friday off, can I use vacation pay and get paid for 48 hours the same as if I worked on Friday? Or will that 8 hours of vacation pay get "refunded"?

^^ I don't know about that but I do know that my store, at least, isn't allowing the usual extra hours this year. In the past, you could work up to 50 because the holiday is paid from a different bucket.

I know this is an old thread but I figured it better off to revive it than start a new one.

I'm a TL, if I work on a Holiday like Memorial day, I get paid 8 hours holiday plus time and a half. Now what happens if I have Friday off, can I use vacation pay and get paid for 48 hours the same as if I worked on Friday? Or will that 8 hours of vacation pay get "refunded"?
You should be able to use vacation hours up to 40 worked hours for that week. The holiday pay shouldn't affect your worked hours so whatever the difference between 40 and what you actually worked can have vacation hours applied.

You should be able to use vacation hours up to 40 worked hours for that week. The holiday pay shouldn't affect your worked hours so whatever the difference between 40 and what you actually worked can have vacation hours applied.
I just seem to remember one year I got my vacation hours kicked back to me after using them on a holiday week.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

You can still only use vacation up to 40 hours worked that week. This does not include the 8 hour holiday pay for TLs, meaning you can end up getting paid for 48 hours.

But the real way to do it is to work a long shift on the holiday and then work 40 hours the rest of the week. If you work a 10 hour day on the holiday and 40 hours on the other 6 days combined, you’ll get 40 hours of regular pay, 10 hours of time and a half, plus the 8 hours of holiday pay.

What gets really confusing is the difference between "Holiday Pay" (in non-retail jobs, a literal paid day off from work) and "Holiday Premium Pay", an incentive pay issued to retail workers who work on a recognized holiday. I do not know if Memorial Day is a "recognized" holiday at Target, I recall that companywide Target has only seven "recognized" holiday days. Further, most store TMs are Grade 35, for them the only "Holiday Pay" days are Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It would help if we had a current list of Target's seven "recognized" holidays for Holiday Premium Pay. Juneteenth was added a couple of years ago, the others include Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I don't recall if Martin Luther King, President's Day or Memorial Day receive Holiday Premium Pay.

^^ I don't know about that but I do know that my store, at least, isn't allowing the usual extra hours this year. In the past, you could work up to 50 because the holiday is paid from a different bucket.
Same. According to our HR, he said “no” to working extra on Monday, or any of the other days. This is the first year this has happened (that I know about)

Same. According to our HR, he said “no” to working extra on Monday, or any of the other days. This is the first year this has happened (that I know about)

Probably because they are saving costs. With all the crap going on, they are going to have to tighten the belt. I don't know about your store, but we are "over posted"

Back