Hotline or through HR? Filing complaint against an ETL

I am wondering what the best way to handle filing a complaint against an ETL for a hostile work environment is, calling/emailing the hotline or doing something through HR channels? Any advice?

Trying to keep identifying details out of this post, I won't go into too much detail, but my store has an ETL who is brutal on TMs, has been since day 1. Multiple people have reported issues with them. They will hound TMs relentlessly if the TM is one they don't care for. I've watched this ETL ream TMs out on the salesfloor in front of guests and other TMs. I've watched as they said they were going to get TMs out of the store. I've watched hardworking TMs get their hours cut to next to nothing by this ETL. And always speaking to TMs in a condescending manner, harassing them for just about everything. The way this ETL talks down to people is astounding.

I am not on this ETL's "good list" (not many people are) and have taken issue with how they've treated me before. There is literally no winning with this ETL...I can work myself to the bone, get things done despite the odds, and there will still be criticism. Never, ever a positive word. I have never done anything to show that I'm incompetent or don't know how to do my job. I've shown that I will give my best, that I care about doing a good job and that I care about my team. Yesterday things came to a head, with something they said to me leaving me angry, then in tears. I don't deserve to be treated like garbage. No one deserves to be talked to the way that this ETL does. Additionally, I believe that this ETL created an unsafe work environment that resulted in a TM getting injured.

My SD hates conflict and is not necessarily someone you can go to. Though at this point I'm not sure that I have anything to lose with him. I asked another TM that I know filed a complaint and they just told me that they emailed our HR TL. As I was in tears yesterday, I was encouraged to call the hotline. I'm not sure what the best procedure is for me to follow. Is calling the hotline considered a formal complaint or should I go through HR? Any advice is welcome!

I am wondering what the best way to handle filing a complaint against an ETL for a hostile work environment is, calling/emailing the hotline or doing something through HR channels? Any advice?

Trying to keep identifying details out of this post, I won't go into too much detail, but my store has an ETL who is brutal on TMs, has been since day 1. Multiple people have reported issues with them. They will hound TMs relentlessly if the TM is one they don't care for. I've watched this ETL ream TMs out on the salesfloor in front of guests and other TMs. I've watched as they said they were going to get TMs out of the store. I've watched hardworking TMs get their hours cut to next to nothing by this ETL. And always speaking to TMs in a condescending manner, harassing them for just about everything. The way this ETL talks down to people is astounding.

I am not on this ETL's "good list" (not many people are) and have taken issue with how they've treated me before. There is literally no winning with this ETL...I can work myself to the bone, get things done despite the odds, and there will still be criticism. Never, ever a positive word. I have never done anything to show that I'm incompetent or don't know how to do my job. I've shown that I will give my best, that I care about doing a good job and that I care about my team. Yesterday things came to a head, with something they said to me leaving me angry, then in tears. I don't deserve to be treated like garbage. No one deserves to be talked to the way that this ETL does. Additionally, I believe that this ETL created an unsafe work environment that resulted in a TM getting injured.

My SD hates conflict and is not necessarily someone you can go to. Though at this point I'm not sure that I have anything to lose with him. I asked another TM that I know filed a complaint and they just told me that they emailed our HR TL. As I was in tears yesterday, I was encouraged to call the hotline. I'm not sure what the best procedure is for me to follow. Is calling the hotline considered a formal complaint or should I go through HR? Any advice is welcome!

If you check your MPM app store info, it will give all your district leaders email from HR-BP to district director. The more TMs that can email them with similar situtation the more serious they'll take it probably. Seems like your SD or HR person aint gonna do shit if its been like this for so long.

What's your goal? To get rid of the ETL, or for the ETL to change their behavior?

Neither route will check the ETL. If you're going to address it, you're going to have to push through until the ETL is fired or relocated. Otherwise you will likely be retaliated against.

Depending on the severity of the injury, my first call would be to OSHA. If the ETL caused the injury, it'll come out in the OSHA investigation.

The hotline protects the company, not you. So calling the hotline only helps if the situation is dire and easily proven, and also illegal.

No one should be subjected to a hostile work environment by their boss, but in my experience, Spot generally backs up the ETL, and as far as ETLs go, the worse they are the longer they seem to last. The hotline is there to protect Spot, not you, and I wouldn’t call unless I was ready to leave. Spot seems more interested in smothering dissent than in correcting problems, unless, of course, government oversight/fines or bad publicity rear their heads... Good luck!

I want to say right up front I know how jaded and cynical this post is going to sound.
In no way am I not suggesting that you stand up for yourself and fight for better working conditions.
Nobody should have to work under inhuman conditions and I am the first say that.

However, ask a few questions before you start this battle in order to get a clear picture how it will turn out.
After all having a clear picture of the field is the only way to win a fight.

Is the store making money?
Is it making its daily, weekly, monthly goals?
What is the turnover like?
Is it so high that they are constantly having to hire just to keep running or are they managing okay?

If the answers are the store is making money and turnover is low, beware.
Unless the ETL is doing something blatantly illegal and I mean something that means a lawsuit or law enforcement, Spot will look the other way.
HR and the Hotline are not your friends, they are there to protect Spot.
If what the ETL is doing is a danger to Spot then they want to know.
Otherwise they will look the other way until it costs them money.

If you have have a good DM and they catch the ETL being an asshole there might be repercussions.
I have actually heard of that happening a time or two, but it is so rare I would never count on it.

By all means, report crappy and evil behavior to HR, just don't expect it to change.
If you get repercussions, i.e. attacked by the ETL then you have a reason to report them to the Hotline because that is illegal.
Do you want to go down that road?
It's the one you have.
Know the battleground, is all I'm telling you.

My store has one ETL who is so miserable to work for that every TL in one of her work centers quit in less than a year, and a replacement TL quit as well. Guess who is still there?🙄

Thanks for all the replies :)

I want to say right up front I know how jaded and cynical this post is going to sound.
In no way am I not suggesting that you stand up for yourself and fight for better working conditions.
Nobody should have to work under inhuman conditions and I am the first say that.

By all means, report crappy and evil behavior to HR, just don't expect it to change.
If you get repercussions, i.e. attacked by the ETL then you have a reason to report them to the Hotline because that is illegal.
Do you want to go down that road?
It's the one you have.
Know the battleground, is all I'm telling you.

Jaded and cynical are fine, with me, lol. I know how things are, I don't really expect for anything to happen to the ETL as a result of my complaint. I have little faith in the powers that be taking action. However, I just can't let this go on without saying anything, it's about taking a stand. The ETL already doesn't like me, so it's not like that's ever going to change. But the SD and the HR-BP need to hear it (again, there have been others who've reported on this ETL and many have quit because of them). The ETL needs to hear there was another complaint against them, as they see nothing wrong with their behavior (not that it will do any good). And I need to report the way they created an unsafe work environment because I know they're going to try and pin it on another team member. If the ETL tries to retaliate, it won't be good. But they have had to back off of some of the people who've made complaints against them because they know they're being watched, so there's hope I'd catch a break. I'm in a position where I can walk away if I want to, unlike some of the other team members, so I'm in a better position to take a stand.

I have decided I will contact both HR and the hotline.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Jaded and cynical are fine, with me, lol. I know how things are, I don't really expect for anything to happen to the ETL as a result of my complaint. I have little faith in the powers that be taking action. However, I just can't let this go on without saying anything, it's about taking a stand. The ETL already doesn't like me, so it's not like that's ever going to change. But the SD and the HR-BP need to hear it (again, there have been others who've reported on this ETL and many have quit because of them). The ETL needs to hear there was another complaint against them, as they see nothing wrong with their behavior (not that it will do any good). And I need to report the way they created an unsafe work environment because I know they're going to try and pin it on another team member. If the ETL tries to retaliate, it won't be good. But they have had to back off of some of the people who've made complaints against them because they know they're being watched, so there's hope I'd catch a break. I'm in a position where I can walk away if I want to, unlike some of the other team members, so I'm in a better position to take a stand.

I have decided I will contact both HR and the hotline.

Write up a resume while you're at it...just to be safe. HR isn't there to help you, it's there to help the company.

8f6c629cdf8494a64942ad8a4fe5f8d6.png

When you play fire with an ETL...make sure you are not alone.

If this is not your direct ETL, and you trust yours, direct the issues to them. Just by following the chain of command and having your own ETL back you up and monitor any future instances will give you credibility.

I had this one ETL in training that was a complete asshole. One instance he pulled me off the lanes to work the zone. My TL then pulled me off the zone to cover breaks and put back on the register. The ETL was pissy and rude at me for the next month. I reported the issues to my ETL and TL and they made it known they had my back.

If this ETL is one you can't avoid and you know its going to get ugly. Then make sure you have a gathering behind you. Make sure you have witnesses or other complainants. And make sure you have documentation; what/where/when was said and who was witnessed it.

But be fore warned your HR doesn't always have your back. Sometimes they will disregard your privacy for store politics. I have had HRs stab me in the back. So make sure you have documentation, witnesses, and other complainants before acting.

Complaints made to the Hotline will go to the district. But unless there is a large collection of similar complaints, nothing will be done.

Last edited:
Honestly it’s probably not worth barking up this tree. There’s no rule that says an ETL can’t be an asshole. A lot of times, the SD and DTL ENCOURAGE the behavior. Unless this person is blatantly doing something wrong then you’re probably just picking a fight with the wrong person. My advice is to just stay under the radar and don’t let this asshole get to you. Or quit if you hate it bad enough.

If an ETL is a big enough asshole, people don’t have to quit, the asshole can performance them out, deserved or not. And some of them seem to have no reservations about doing it.

3FEC680B-8755-46D8-A57E-28F297C26FEE.jpeg

From a labor rep standpoint: Nobody will care if the person is an ass. If they get the job done, so be it. How they make it happen is a personal style. I personally will not yell or berate somebody in public, but it is not illegal to do so. You may feel it creates a hostile work environment, but it is NOT against the law. No real case there.

If you go after them for creating an unsafe condition and it was their direct action that caused an injury, you better have iron-clad proof. Otherwise it is he said-she said, and that is a VERY unpleasant road to go down and the arguments can go on for a very long time.

Just being up front, if you hotline the ETL because they chew TMs out in public and TMs don’t get recognition for hard work, that call will go straight to the SD. You need multiple TMs who will account to mistreatment and injury as a result of their direction, with evidence, and you need to make the SD out to be incompetent to make the HRBP get involved.

If your store/the ETLs departments are comping you’re going to fight a very steep uphill battle if you go toe-to-toe with an ETL.

Also remember that the phrase "hostile work environment" onyl applies to a protected class. They can be an asshole for the sake of being an asshole. They can't be an asshole because you are black or female or Jewish.

Also remember that the phrase "hostile work environment" onyl applies to a protected class. They can be an asshole for the sake of being an asshole. They can't be an asshole because you are black or female or Jewish.
i have seen very few Jews work in big box retail. Do you think it’s because they are discriminated against?

No it doesn't. Straight white men have successfully gotten legal protection and redress from a hostile work environment because coworkers bullied and hazed.

Then redress was not officially due to "hostile work environment." Per the US Department of Labor, "
In
United States labor law
, a
hostile work environment
exists when one's behavior within a workplace creates an environment that is difficult or uncomfortable for another person to work in, due to discrimination." How is the behavior described being discriminatory? That is the key question. If they are an ass to most/all, then discrimination does not apply, thus DOL would not recognize it as a "hostile work environment" under current labor laws.

Then redress was not officially due to "hostile work environment." Per the US Department of Labor, "
In
United States labor law
, a
hostile work environment
exists when one's behavior within a workplace creates an environment that is difficult or uncomfortable for another person to work in, due to discrimination." How is the behavior described being discriminatory? That is the key question. If they are an ass to most/all, then discrimination does not apply, thus DOL would not recognize it as a "hostile work environment" under current labor laws.

Because straight white men can’t be discriminated against in the workplace?

i have seen very few Jews work in big box retail. Do you think it’s because they are discriminated against?

I think it’s because demographically there ar
No it doesn't. Straight white men have successfully gotten legal protection and redress from a hostile work environment because coworkers bullied and hazed.

Do you have a link?

Also straight white men can and are illegally discriminated against regularly. It just doesn't make the news.

Back