Archived Hours cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... I've been getting about 20hrs/week for the past few weeks, even with all the new cashiers they've been hiring on.

But last week of June, I only have about ~14hrs. :(

I'm lucky if I get 15 hours in a week. And still nothing on the cross-training front...

I'm lucky if I get 15 hours in a week. And still nothing on the cross-training front...

I'm in the same boat. Been averaging 18-20 hours a week for months. Requested to be cross trained in three areas to pick up more hours but nothing on that front. Went to the GSTL and started training a bit there before my shift ended. She put the register in training, gave me the info, book, cards, etc. and walked off. I had no idea what I was doing and had questions. Of course she was no where to be found until she knew my shift was ending. I'm a trainer and that is not how I train people. :/

No tms are guaranteed 40 hours. The best thing you can do is asked to be crossed trained in other areas and pick shifts on the swap board. SOmething else I would suggest, since it is the end of the month, is that if your store was killing sales then you should have gained some flex hours, ask your tl or etl if there are extra hours and they just may add you to the schedule. If your store did poor with sales then your store would have to flex down (not good) which could mean not filling call-offs.

Well, I did manage to pick up a couple of shifts from the swap shift board for this week so now I'm up to 35 and a half hrs. My problem before was there were never any shifts posted for days that I wasn't working only for days when I was already working. It was extremely frustrating!

Well, I did manage to pick up a couple of shifts from the swap shift board for this week so now I'm up to 35 and a half hrs. My problem before was there were never any shifts posted for days that I wasn't working only for days when I was already working. It was extremely frustrating!

just work some of those fun 12 or 15 hour days!!

I was wondering if anyone else's store has this happening. We've been hiring tons of new cashiers and they've cut hours on the ones that have been there longer. I'm considered full time (got a letter from Tgt and everythin:D) and lately I'm lucky to get even 30 hrs. On the new schedule that was just posted I'm down to 20 hrs and only 3 days a week. It's very discouraging.

Yeah, I feel your pain. We are hiring a ton of new Flow Team members and my hours were cut back next week to 22 hours a week. We (Flow Team) were told that if we crossed-trained in other work centers, that we would be scheduled more hours, but next week I work 14 hours on Flow and 8 hours on In-stocks. Not much to go around because a lot of team members are crossed-trained in other areas.

I am a team trainer for the Flow Team and it is really hard training a new team member knowing that he/she is taking your hours.

I have been fortunate, though, ever since I stepped down to a team member in March. I have still been able to scrape together 38-40 hours a week since. I am very vocal and constantly ask for hours. But next week is going to be tough....

I am taking all of my vacations (approximately 5 weeks) this summer before my average hours go down. So far my average hours are at 40.

Good luck!

That's pretty much what I use my vac pay for. I told the kids that vay-cay comes whatever Mom's hrs are cut. Doesn't mean we can go any where, tho.

I did that sunday. I picked up a hardlines closing shift 5-10. I was scheduled 10am-5pm in market. It was a long day. At least i got over 30 hrs for the week and got 2 lunches in one day.

Now I have just one question for everyone.. How many meal breaks have you taken in one day?

My record is 4, granted they weren't strategically timed, but, spaced every 4 hours over a 19 hour day. (Compliance is only 5 hours in my state btw)

just work some of those fun 12 or 15 hour days!!

Working one of those this Saturday, 10 to 5:30 cashier, and 5:30 to 11 Hardlines. At least it bumps me up to 39 hrs this week.

Now I have just one question for everyone.. How many meal breaks have you taken in one day?

My record is 4, granted they weren't strategically timed, but, spaced every 4 hours over a 19 hour day. (Compliance is only 5 hours in my state btw)

I've only had two meal breaks, and that was working from 8AM (open) to 11PM (close).

I guess I'm one of the few TMs that never goes below 30 hrs. I'm normally 35 - 38, pretty much all of my hours being in electronics, with a cashier shift being thrown in once every few weeks. The average hrs for electronics TMs in my store is about 25, with me and one other TM getting above that.

Is it frowned upon at any stores to work such long shifts?

Just wondering

My record is 2 about two years ago.. Our compliance is 6hrs and I made sure I took my meal when I reached 5.75hrs. I did the same for a 12hr shift with 1meal and 4 15's

Just wondering

I guess it depends on the store and whoever asked you to stay.. If an etl approves it then it's fine. I once had the sr. merch ask me to stay until 6pm after I did a 4am-12pm.. I ended up staying until 4 once the guests reminded me why I went to overnight -_-

I guess I'm one of the few TMs that never goes below 30 hrs. I'm normally 35 - 38, pretty much all of my hours being in electronics, with a cashier shift being thrown in once every few weeks. The average hrs for electronics TMs in my store is about 25, with me and one other TM getting above that.

I take you you've been there a while though. Because my average SHEDULED hours are around 26 - 30 with mostly electronics and some hardlines, cashier or carts. Lately I have to pump them up with other hardlines and cashier swap shifts to get close to 40. Only two of our electronics TM's have hours that never go below 30 and that's because the one has been there for a long time, and the other is our MMB brand member.

Just wondering

Technically yes, however, that is usually used as an excuse to turn you down for more hours rather than saying "No, I don't think your worth six more hours of payroll..."

A couple of ETLs at my store are against the idea of long days, like 10+ hours, but, they have given up on telling me that it isn't healthy to work that much.. Reminds of Black Friday week, I hit overtime before the store opened on Wednesday!!!!

We have new cashiers as well. Our checkout is fast was green for over a month straight, and now it just took a dump into the yellow :( I suppose that is to be expected though.

I think Target is just amping up for Back to school, and before we know it we'll be back into Q4 :)

I worked an open to close (14 hrs) one Saturday (when we still closed at 10pm) because of excessive call-outs (7 in the front end alone) & no one would come in (seriously, who answers their phone on a Saturday if they see it's work?). I had 3.5 hrs OT approved by the STL.
That's one of the reasons they went on an agressive hiring binge so they'd have a larger pool to call on.

Technically yes, however, that is usually used as an excuse to turn you down for more hours rather than saying "No, I don't think your worth six more hours of payroll..."

I don't quite see why that is though...

At my store it really doesn't matter if you work a couple shifts in a row. For the past two weeks this one TM worked a double shift on Saturday. I've also had to double up on shifts quite often this past month during the weekends. As I said before I'm pulling a double this this saturday, and now I picked up an opening cashier shift for this sunday before I close in electronics. A TM's gotta do what a TM's gotta do these days to keep a decent quota.

(when we still closed at 10pm)

Ah one of the lucky few I see that have the new extended hours.

redeye58 said:
(seriously, who answers their phone on a Saturday if they see it's work?)

Lol I do actually. I'm a sucker for hours no matter what day of the week. You should have seen me this past winter, I was one of the few that consistantly came in during the winter, as I live fairly close to my store and I can take a bus even in the rougher weather. So even when hours went down in Jan and Feb, I had a decent amount due to call-offs.

Last edited:
At my store the hours are there for the top performers. The low performers might just get a shift or two, but even they could max out their hours if they cared enough to use the call me first/swap shift book.

People can complain about the pay and the work all they want, but in this economy there are plenty of people out there willing to work really hard just to have a job :)

E-man, wish we had you on our call list.
Can't tell you how many times I'd hear people whining about not enough hrs but, when they're called for evening or weekend shifts, they don't answer their phone.
Too bad, so sad....NOT!

E-man, wish we had you on our call list.
Can't tell you how many times I'd hear people whining about not enough hrs but, when they're called for evening or weekend shifts, they don't answer their phone.
Too bad, so sad....NOT!

When I used to be an Operator, I stopped calling those people. It's one thing to call someone who was looking for hours and have them pick up, politely decline because they have plans but thank you for taking the trouble to call them and request that you keep them in mind next time; it's a whole other thing to call someone who was looking for hours and have them never return your call...repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back