Archived Hours for Cashiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like we have less hours for the front end team. At least at my store with the exception on SCO. Just hoping they pick back up soon, I cant live with 8 hours

It seems like we have less hours for the front end team. At least at my store with the exception on SCO. Just hoping they pick back up soon, I cant live with 8 hours
Have you asked if you can train in other areas? You could pick up some shifts?

Sorry NPC, I was just asking and then found the 13 page thread. And I will ask Mandie, Thank you

Oh cool, this again.
Yup...its that time of year again.

Expect minimal hours and coverage guys. I saw some weeks only having 4-8 hours on the original schedule. Picked up shifts when I could and cross trained. There were days where the lanes (at my last store) were only covered by 1-2 cashiers for opening and closing shifts. Individual cashiers getting 4-6 hour shifts all week.

Last edited:
Cashier hours go way down. Swap shift is your friend. Also let HR know to call you if there are any callouts. I have a cashier I can get 36 hours easy from 20 just by him being on call.

Like we've posted before & HRZone says:
Keep a change of red & khaki in your car, answer your phone (even if you have to decline), be willing to come in early &/or stay late.
All this bolsters your reliability & puts you on the 'A' list for HR, et al.

Cashier hours go way down. Swap shift is your friend. Also let HR know to call you if there are any callouts. I have a cashier I can get 36 hours easy from 20 just by him being on call.

Yep, this++!!
I have had to worry about overtime every week because of picking up so many shifts and staying late as needed. If you’re working a shift and overhear that someone has called out for later, ask if they want you to stay and cover that shift. Tell your HR that you have totally open hours (or at least open tomorrow or this weekend or whatever it is) and that you’re looking to pick up hours and will be available if anyone calls out. Then actually pick up and come in when they call you in last-minute.

My scheduled hours have been cut as bad as everyone else’s, but doesn’t stop from hustling and picking up extra shifts if you want them!

I work on the salesfloor. I went directly to my stl, and had a talk with him. I straight up said that I don't want to get a second job if I don't have to ( I don't have a car ) and he said he would send out an email to make my hours a priority.

I work on the salesfloor. I went directly to my stl, and had a talk with him. I straight up said that I don't want to get a second job if I don't have to ( I don't have a car ) and he said he would send out an email to make my hours a priority.

I'm sure your STL is gonna little Timmy 5 less hours so you can have the most hours in the store.

I've been getting 30-35 pretty consistently, probably because I'm crosstrained in a ton of different places and am always willing to stay late or come in on my days off. Kinda hard to balance working and school, though.

In this person’s defense, we had a TM do the same thing. The only difference is that he’s an awesome worker who is cross-trained in multiple areas and is so reliable, so we want to retain him. When I’m writing the schedule, I do stretch and get him in. Does it take 20+ hours away from other TMs? Yes, but at least I know his hours won’t be wasted by him screwing around or calling in.

If you’re a really good worker who is willing to work whenever and wherever, it’s a lot easier to find hours... as opposed to someone who is only cashier trained and can only work one 8 hour gap every mon/wed/fri.

I’m not saying it’ll work for everyone, but I am saying that under the right circumstances, it can happen to simply let them know you may have to find a second job or even quit.

In this person’s defense, we had a TM do the same thing. The only difference is that he’s an awesome worker who is cross-trained in multiple areas and is so reliable, so we want to retain him. When I’m writing the schedule, I do stretch and get him in. Does it take 20+ hours away from other TMs? Yes, but at least I know his hours won’t be wasted by him screwing around or calling in.

If you’re a really good worker who is willing to work whenever and wherever, it’s a lot easier to find hours... as opposed to someone who is only cashier trained and can only work one 8 hour gap every mon/wed/fri.

I’m not saying it’ll work for everyone, but I am saying that under the right circumstances, it can happen to simply let them know you may have to find a second job or even quit.

That's exactly what I did. I have a second job on lock. All I have to do is fill out an app, and my friend is the manager at where if be applying. I went to the stl and was honest about my situation among other stuff, obviously won't get into specifics, but when I have only called out twice in the 4 years I've been with target, not to mention that all the etls consider me first when ever they have call outs, on top of I'm willing to go in at 7am after getting off at 12 the night before, I'm in a position where it has worked out for me. I wasn't trying to brag, or suggest this would work for everyone, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Yeah, there is a difference between a BS ultimatum and a "look, here's the situation, I don't want to leave but I can't live on this." If they can accommodate you, then great, but if not, leaders expect turnover for stuff like this, unfortunate though it is.

It's pretty rough lately. I'm Cashier/SCO/GS and I've been scheduled for 1-2 ~5hr shifts per week, and my availability is literally all the time - I'm also on call. The swap shift board has been empty for the past few weeks since no one wants to give up the few hours they have, and there have been call-outs, but they're not replacing people when they call out. I used to get called in pretty much every day I wasn't working (and would always say yes, I really enjoy coming into work), but not so much anymore. (Sorry about the little rant)

I have a little bit of sales floor training and have expressed interest in cross-training at Starbucks (I worked in a coffee shop for 2 years before working at Target), but my ETL has said that it's pretty much impossible right now because of the lack of available hours.

So, I understand how you feel. Hopefully things will improve hours-wise soon, hang in there if you can!

My word of caution to anyone that feels they deserve more hours. Ive seen TM be like "hours are so low" to the person that does write the schedule and they are the best TM in their department be told to pick up shifts. Ask very carefully and be respectful if you get told No. If you go in there and be like I got to get another PT job because hours are low, it shows your priorities are not set on Target. Just sayin..

It's pretty rough lately. I'm Cashier/SCO/GS and I've been scheduled for 1-2 ~5hr shifts per week, and my availability is literally all the time - I'm also on call. The swap shift board has been empty for the past few weeks since no one wants to give up the few hours they have, and there have been call-outs, but they're not replacing people when they call out. I used to get called in pretty much every day I wasn't working (and would always say yes, I really enjoy coming into work), but not so much anymore. (Sorry about the little rant)

I have a little bit of sales floor training and have expressed interest in cross-training at Starbucks (I worked in a coffee shop for 2 years before working at Target), but my ETL has said that it's pretty much impossible right now because of the lack of available hours.

So, I understand how you feel. Hopefully things will improve hours-wise soon, hang in there if you can!

Our store is similar with these hours. At this time of year we'll have a total of 6 or 7 cashiers per day so most TMs are likely to keep their few shifts.....I'm salesfloor trained, too....but like the cashiers there are very few people on the floor so they keep their shifts, too.

While it is easy to pick up shifts most of the year, first quarter really stinks. Now, last year we were short on cashiers so my hours were not really affected. I was lucky.

This year with Easter being on April 1 that means hours ought to pick up earlier than most years.

BTW......Dog.....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your dog picture!!

Our store is similar with these hours. At this time of year we'll have a total of 6 or 7 cashiers per day so most TMs are likely to keep their few shifts.....I'm salesfloor trained, too....but like the cashiers there are very few people on the floor so they keep their shifts, too.

While it is easy to pick up shifts most of the year, first quarter really stinks. Now, last year we were short on cashiers so my hours were not really affected. I was lucky.

This year with Easter being on April 1 that means hours ought to pick up earlier than most years.

BTW......Dog.....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your dog picture!!

I know I was in the GSTL office when I was on lunch and I saw it and squealed in front of my new GSA.

Reactions: Dog
Meanwhile I’ve posted like 6 shifts on Branch in the last week and no ones taken them lol

Cashier, or GSA?

My store has a lot of back up GSA trained cashiers. They may only get 1 shift a week as GSA, but they're trained and keyed in so that they can pick up GSA shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back