Archived How are we doing up north?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaz

Canadian Member
Hey All,

Getting to join Target Canada as an ETL and i was wondering how we are doing here in Canada?

Got some interesting pieces of information to share?

Never good to hear that. Especially doesn't help to know that Target Canada has to have higher prices.

While I'm not at a "border store" we still get a few Canadian checks a week and the occasional Canadian guest who tries to use their Target Canada RedCard. The Canadian guests that do come in always say they don't like the selection or prices of their Targets.

Growing pains... Many growing pains.

Unfortunately our DCs didn't really understand the "Target Way" of DCs and totally messed up our freight flow which subsequently messed up our instocks and transition freight and many other things.

On top of that, most of the Canadian population doesn't understand how the U.S. and Canadian economy differ.

Thankfully the negative backlash from social media aren't as bad as they were a few months ago, and I think the Q4 freight we have been getting is finally getting out instocks from good to great.

In a year or so, I think we will be in better shape.

Are we profitable? Yes. Are we efficient? Hell no, but in time we will be.

Unfortunately our DCs didn't really understand the "Target Way" of DCs and totally messed up our freight flow which subsequently messed up our instocks and transition freight and many other things.

This.

"Hey, this store has been out of a certain brand of soap for two weeks! Let's fix it by giving them half a trailer of oreos!"

At least, that's what it feels like.

On top of that, most of the Canadian population doesn't understand how the U.S. and Canadian economy differ.

This, too. As much as it doesn't sound professional of me I'm starting to get tired of the rap that our "prices suck compared to US targets." Well, of course they don't. If you go shopping around there's only one major chain that seems to have slightly cheaper prices. Everything else is on par.

Other than that, it's getting better. Aside from changes in process we're hitting our goals now.

Last edited:
I work at a store in HI. I get people every day who tell me how much more expensive everything in our store is. Yes, that's because we live on an island in the middle of nowhere, in the most remote city on the planet geographically speaking. It takes a lot more money and time to move product here.

I have a feeling that's also what's happened in the Canadian stores. A lot of people whining before thinking. Haven't they looked at the back of a novel? A book always costs more in Canada vs. the U.S. Sweet baby Jesus, people.

Yeah I don't think Target thought out a good Supply Strategy for Canada when they just went and dove in....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back