How bad is Halloween going to be this year?

I really don't understand why we are still using all the space for candy and costumes. They should keep 4-6 aisles dedicated to household items since that's what people are buying. I don't know if its worth sanitizing each piece of candy, hand sanitizing after each house and wearing masks.

May be just like the online/virtual bday parties of these times, Halloween treats will be virtual too . Then go and buy a party size candy bag for your own kids . Maximum safety !
I’m losing my sleep over thinking about my decision to send my kid to school twice a week this fall . 🙁

Wish the world would just admit 2020 is cancelled, accept it and move on. All this hand-ringing and jumping through hoops trying to figure out how to pretend everything is normal is taxing. No trick or treating, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years in your bubble, case closed. It is what it is.

I had heard that retailers are going to have Halloween stuff in the store even earlier that in the past. It's too late for all those orders to be cancelled apparently.

Wish the world would just admit 2020 is cancelled, accept it and move on. All this hand-ringing and jumping through hoops trying to figure out how to pretend everything is normal is taxing. No trick or treating, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years in your bubble, case closed. It is what it is.

I already told my mom we will not be joining in on the traditional holiday celebrations.

For Halloween, my son decided we are going to stay in, and watch a movie together. I might buy a special treat - donuts, cupcakes, etc. Maybe a cookie cake - since we don't get those very often.

I read what someone did on a rainy Halloween, and plan to do again this year (sorry, don't remember where I read it).

Dress kid in costume of choice. Fill his trick or treat bag with candy. Hide it very well. Turn off the lights and let kid start searching in the dark (the parent said it took the kid 30 minutes to find it). After that, candlelight dinner, spooky, not romantic, lol. Then, a scary movie. Sounded like fun to me.

One year we shut all the doors in the house - bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, front entrance, back door, cellar door....had an aunt/uncle/older cousin behind each door with bags of candy - all the little cousins knocked on doors, said trick or treat, got a treat. Only rule was one child per door, they had to move on if there was already a kid there, (to allow for the knocking part). Lots of laughs because the adults answered the doors in costume as a surprise - kids loved that as much as the candy.

Also had a ghost hunt - kind of like Easter egg hunt - but with ghosts .. in the dark .. with flashlights. Painted the ghosts with glow in the dark paint.
Kids loved the flashlights more than anything else.

Frosted And decorated sugar cookies in Halloween shapes.

Instead of tail/donkey played “pin the nose on the witch”. Used 3D glasses instead of blindfold - still couldn’t see well but not as scary.

craft store has lots of ideas for crafty Halloween activities.

Last edited:
One year we shut all the doors in the house - bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, front entrance, back door, cellar door....had an aunt/uncle/older cousin behind each door with bags of candy - all the little cousins knocked on doors, said trick or treat, got a treat. Only rule was one child per door, they had to move on if there was already a kid there, (to allow for the knocking part). Lots of laughs because the adults answered the doors in costume as a surprise - kids loved that as much as the candy.

Also had a ghost hunt - kind of like Easter egg hunt - but with ghosts .. in the dark .. with flashlights. Painted the ghosts with glow in the dark paint.
Kids loved the flashlights more than anything else.

This is exactly what we ate thinking of doing this year!

When my boys got too old to trick or treat, they did a Halloween play list for their disabled brother: Corpse Bride, Nightmare Before Christmas, Igor, Coraline, ParaNorman & Frankenweinie to name a few.
Hot dogs for dinner with popcorn & candy during movies.

That just gets us to 2021. Pandemic will still be "a thing" next year as well, sadly.

My hunch is that Halloween will be very weak for retailers, and a huge failure for those who want to participate. Reason: many Americans view this COVID-19 pandemic as a nightmare which refuses to totally go away. People are becoming increasingly paranoid about catching this illness from strangers, particularly if your local community just had a big outburst of new COVID cases - i.e. the 1000+ new cases at the University of Alabama.

So between COVID-19 health fears and anxiety about violent people pretending to be "trick-or-treaters", a lot of homes will simply refuse to answer the door on Halloween. Many people don't want to be confronted at their door by strangers who might - just might - be carrying the virus.

Halloween sales could also be rotten because one heck of a lot of Americans have lost their jobs. When a family has a sharp drop in income and the job market stinks, you know how it goes.....

Heck if it's not too cold out, I'll socially distance outside and toss candy to the kids.
Probably one of the few holidays this year that we can kinda celebrate in their normal way. TGiving and XMas could be lost causes.

Last edited:
I don’t think sales will suffer too badly. even without actual ‘trick or treating‘ parents will probably buy candy, pumpkin carving kits, decorations for their own kids.

if schools allow costumes, they will sell. No kid wants to be the only one with no costume if it’s allowed.

I think a lot of the swarms of kids travelling to that one neighborhood in town will be discouraged. There will probably be more "trunk or treats".

Back