Archived How can I get weekends off? Should I say i have a weekend job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the TM perspective it seems easy to shift the two days off to Saturday and Sunday. But from the ETL view, you are one of 75 who want the same schedule. We can't give everyone weekends off or we'll never have coverage over the weekend. We also can't hire more people than allowed. So two things would happen - not enough coverage or working the same TMs every weekend - not fair for the leaders or the TMs who have to work every weekend. Take a look at projected sales and notice that the weekends are always higher than the weekdays. More sales = more Guests = more work = need for more TMs.

The ETL prior to me screwed me. She authorized a lot of availability changes so I had about 6 people with Friday and Saturday availability. My solution - those people got 4 hours a week until they changed their availability back. I denied all weekend off availability changes - regardless of the reason.

Making the schedule isn't easy when you have a lot of TMs with specific needs. If you have myTime it may be different but with MAX, scheduling took some time if you wanted to be fair and consistent.

I'm not sure why everyone on here is acting all superior. I can understand where you're coming from.
I'm 21 and I start at 4am, which means I can't really stay up too late without wanting to die the next morning.
I recommend that you talk to your ETL or TL about switching your schedule a bit. It will probably be impossible to get every weekend off, unless you want
to reduce your total hours. You might be able to request a weekend or two each month and I'm sure they will approve, assuming you give them enough notice.
You're in logistics which makes swapping shifts a bit more difficult, but you can still try swapping shifts with other TMs.

Ask your ETL or TL if you can come in at a later time, instead of coming in at 4 try 5 or 6. Seriously that extra hour of sleep makes a huge difference.
Lastly if you guys can't come up with an agreement try switching workcenters or try working two workcenters.
Getting weekends off is much easier when you're in the salesfloor, you have more TMs willing to swap. It's also easier to fulfill requests since you have
more team members available to fill in the shifts.

In the end just know that you probably won't get every weekend off. You will have to come with an agreement with your ETL/TL. What about going out on
nights when you're off the next day? I usually hang out with friends on Wednesday night since I'm off Thursday. I mean it's not as fun as
going to parties on Saturday night and going all out, but it's something. Alternatively you could go out anyway on Friday or Saturday and just stay up all night and go straight to work. Just don't go in drunk or reeking of booze.

Why should you have weekends off so that you can party, when other people at your store can't spend time with their kids on the weekends because they're forced to work?
If you're in your 90 days and I was your TL and you asked for weekends off, I would give you every weekend and weekday off by firing your ass.

How are other people's kids more important than this dude's life? It's also rather sad that you would fire someone who would ask you
for a possible schedule change. Oh well.

Sit down with your ETL and be honest. Everyone is different so your ETL might work something out. Won't know until you ask.

Enjoy being young but balance it with reality. I had my TMs on alternating weekends so everyone could enjoy time with friends and family.

**** I will start off by saying that I started with Spot when I was 19...I am nWt in my mid 30s...so, I do know that working weekends, hinders your social life, family liked etc****Personally, I wouldn't lie about having a weekend job , just to get weekends off at Spot. The hassle of having to keep your stories straight just wouldn't be worth it to me. Weekends are part of working retail....it sucks but it comes with the territory. Spot doesn't care how old you are, what parties you are missing, etc etc,,,,all they care about are the needs of the business. I would recommend putting in for weekends off. Maybe start off by asking for every third one off...then go to every other weekend. That is what I do ( unless its fourth quarter).

Last edited:
I'm not sure why everyone on here is acting all superior. I can understand where you're coming from.
I'm 21 and I start at 4am, which means I can't really stay up too late without wanting to die the next morning.
I recommend that you talk to your ETL or TL about switching your schedule a bit. It will probably be impossible to get every weekend off, unless you want
to reduce your total hours. You might be able to request a weekend or two each month and I'm sure they will approve, assuming you give them enough notice.
You're in logistics which makes swapping shifts a bit more difficult, but you can still try swapping shifts with other TMs.

Ask your ETL or TL if you can come in at a later time, instead of coming in at 4 try 5 or 6. Seriously that extra hour of sleep makes a huge difference.
Lastly if you guys can't come up with an agreement try switching workcenters or try working two workcenters.
Getting weekends off is much easier when you're in the salesfloor, you have more TMs willing to swap. It's also easier to fulfill requests since you have
more team members available to fill in the shifts.

In the end just know that you probably won't get every weekend off. You will have to come with an agreement with your ETL/TL. What about going out on
nights when you're off the next day? I usually hang out with friends on Wednesday night since I'm off Thursday. I mean it's not as fun as
going to parties on Saturday night and going all out, but it's something. Alternatively you could go out anyway on Friday or Saturday and just stay up all night and go straight to work. Just don't go in drunk or reeking of booze.
I don't think anyone on here is acting superior...I just think they are giving honest feedback. Sometimes its helps to have other people give their viewpoints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back