Archived How do I get a job in Starbucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
So recently I discovered the benefits of working the Starbucks over being a Cashier: Higher pay, less hours, etc.
I really want to be a Starbucks Team Member but my Store hasn't posted any open positions...can I still get a job in there? I was also wondering how I would go about cross-training there...do I talk to my ETL-HR? I don't even know who the SBTL is, but I know a couple of people who are SBTM's. Also, I'm also pretty sure I'm still on probation, the 90 day thing...does that mean I can't cross-train until it's over?
Sorry I have so many questions, but I'm just overall really curious on the Starbucks now, if any SBTM's or people who have trained in Starbucks can give advice I would appreciate it! :D

Thanks!

Yeah, I know that I should probably just be happy for the Cashier job that I was offered, but I am seriously dreading going to work everyday if I have to stand for 8 hours at a register. The hours go by really slow, and if you don't get a REDcard, then you feel like an utter disappointment. Working at Starbucks sounds way more upbeat, less expectations when it comes to REDcards, and I love Starbucks and thought of applying there too when I was looking for a job. I want less hours as well, I feel like the SBTMs only come in for short shifts and fewer shifts than I have. I don't really want/need very many hours since I'm in High School right now, but I get like 30 hours every week. Even though the pay is really good, I don't need that much money, and I find little time to enjoy it when I'm in school as well. Starbucks seems to be my best option overall.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Since you are under your 90 days at Target, you may have to wait a bit. Like HLM suggests, go ahead and express interest to your GSTL. When I was a SBTL, I loved hearing that people were interested in my area-I was always understaffed.

If your excuse is that you need less hours, then you will be asked to change your availability. Cashiers don't typically get 30+ hours.

If your excuse is that you need less hours, then you will be asked to change your availability. Cashiers don't typically get 30+ hours.

Yeah, cashiers don't get that many hours because then they would be eligible for health insurance, and Spot doesn't want that! Maybe that's why they're giving you all those hours figuring that you are covered on a parents policy. Do you remember how many hours you listed in your availability? I had the problem of being scheduled for more hours than I had stated in my availability. Two friendly reminder chats with HR got me scheduled for 10 hours the past 3 weeks. Ouch! However for me a I rather have too few hours over too many hours.

Yeah, cashiers don't get that many hours because then they would be eligible for health insurance, and Spot doesn't want that! Maybe that's why they're giving you all those hours figuring that you are covered on a parents policy. Do you remember how many hours you listed in your availability? I had the problem of being scheduled for more hours than I had stated in my availability. Two friendly reminder chats with HR got me scheduled for 10 hours the past 3 weeks. Ouch! However for me a I rather have too few hours over too many hours.

Check in eHR how many hours you are available each week.

I am in school, so each weekday it's 4:00 P.M. to 9:45 P.M. and I left my availability open for the weekends. So overall, I have a picky schedule, for my ideal amount of hours I put 20 average. So far, I've been getting scheduled 30 or close to 30 every week. Also, why would I talk to my GSTL for training in Starbucks? Seems kind of the opposite of what I should be doing.

I am in school, so each weekday it's 4:00 P.M. to 9:45 P.M. and I left my availability open for the weekends. So overall, I have a picky schedule, for my ideal amount of hours I put 20 average. So far, I've been getting scheduled 30 or close to 30 every week. Also, why would I talk to my GSTL for training in Starbucks? Seems kind of the opposite of what I should be doing.

Because your GSTL and ETL-GE (your assigned leaders) will usually have the final say on whether you stay or not. I know one of our GSTLs does her damnedest at keeping cashiers stuck at the front lanes, and she succeeds at it. The most cross-training you can get under her watch is at Guest Service.

Also, why would I talk to my GSTL for training in Starbucks? Seems kind of the opposite of what I should be doing.
Starbucks & Food Ave are considered a part of front end & report to the same ETL (GE).
Working at Starbucks is def faster-paced, especially during rush periods.
You learn/memorize enough drink recipes to fill a card file, you have to be super out-going, be able to multitask & deal with EXTREMELY entitled guests.
Being a student, you won't have to deal with the week-day morning crowd.
Geez, the way some people act when they haven't had caffeine.....

Thanks for explaining that Flabbergasted and redeye58! I don't really feel like telling my GSTL that I'm already thinking about switching over so I think I'll wait until a position opens up. I don't want to seem eager to get away from a job they gave me even though I'm 16. I make almost as much as another girl who is a Cashier, and she has a degree...

Thanks for explaining that Flabbergasted and redeye58! I don't really feel like telling my GSTL that I'm already thinking about switching over so I think I'll wait until a position opens up. I don't want to seem eager to get away from a job they gave me even though I'm 16. I make almost as much as another girl who is a Cashier, and she has a degree...
You may not even be allowed to work in Starbucks because Target's policy says that Starbucks TMs have to be 18 or older to work in that department.

You may not even be allowed to work in Starbucks because Target's policy says that Starbucks TMs have to be 18 or older to work in that department.
Not true.
We've had several minors work at SB & FA over the past several yrs.
They mainly work weekends & the occ Fri night because we close a couple hrs before the store does so there was no problem with curfew.
I love it because all our weekends are usually covered.
It only sucks when prom, spring break, etc roll around.

I've been really jealous of the Starbucks Team Members lately, they get 4-6 hour shifts, and I would love to make drinks as opposed to bagging long orders for people who are couponers or bring their own bags. Plus, our Starbucks isn't very well-staffed lately, they are always needing backup people for Starbucks, I hear it over the walkies all the time. Plus, I'm comfortable enough to bring it up with my GSTL now...I think she likes me, I wasn't so sure before. My trainer said that one of the Cashiers he trained actually became a Starbucks TM and he likes it as well. But my trainer is gone now, left Target... :(
Thanks CoquiAzul and redeye58 though! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back