Archived How does your store get section A/B zoned really good each day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i got my review today because i am a TL for hardlines, i had a great review but the only thing she said i should work on is making sure my area is always green. I have A/B which is beauty, health, pets, stationary and small appliances. and when we have store visits section A is always called out no matter what. Are there any tips/tricks your store does to get certain areas of the store zoned each day? for example, my store has a mid day market zone everyday and hardlines/softlines and electronics come over to zone every isle.

Last edited:
Oh lol, goes to show how many targets ive actually been in. But thank you i updated that in the description

I have the same areas. B usually gets shafted, quickly zoned at the end of the night, then again in the morning. We usually have one team member in market, one in A, one gets B/C/D, and Electronics will do Elec/toys/Infant hardlines. There's usually a senior and ETL on my nights as well and they'll zone through C or D. Smart huddle in pharmacy/paper. Its rough nowadays. You can't afford to keep headlines team members that can't pull their own weight now.

A/B at my former stores are

A:Mini-Seasonal/Market/HBA
B:Cards/Party/Office/MMB

We would do mini quick zones of Mini and Market at midday. Then concentrate on HBA for closing zone. Then go back to Mini/Market after closing.

In our store hardlines closers are:
1) for HBA/Paper/Chemicals
2) for Pfresh/Market
3) for Pets/Toys/Sporting Goods
4) for Stationary/Domestics/Home Storage
5) for Electronics/Seasonal

If we have an extra person they get Paper/Chemicals/Pets

We are currently really focused on HBA and paper (sometimes toys too) cause HBA isn't a green area.

In our store hardlines closers are:
1) for HBA/Paper/Chemicals
2) for Pfresh/Market
3) for Pets/Toys/Sporting Goods
4) for Stationary/Domestics/Home Storage
5) for Electronics/Seasonal

If we have an extra person they get Paper/Chemicals/Pets

We are currently really focused on HBA and paper (sometimes toys too) cause HBA isn't a green area.
You have 5 hardliners closers?!

If you count electronics and a market person scheduled under consummables, yes. On weekends, it's typically 6.
Do you work in like an A++? I work at a high volume A+ and we have 2 hardlines one for domestics toys and sporting goods and one for pets plastics and HBA then our food team zones a majority of grocery before they leave and our electronics does seasonal and stationary

We're an overnight flow store, and flow zones dry market and OTC/HBA/cleaning supplies/pets. The key to success is dedicated stockers! If you stock and zone an area each shift, you get through the pretty quickly.

Also to chime into the tangential conversation, AA volume here with 4 HL closers each night plus electronics and market closers.

A for us is paper, cosmetics, and HBA. Cosmetics is always a mess. Everyone avoids it. B for us is stationary, which is usually ignored. Maybe it'll get a bit of a touch up, but otherwise it's not important.

Oh right, infant hardlines is B too. Softline's problem I dunno if they bother too much with it.

Last edited:
So i got my review today because i am a TL for hardlines, i had a great review but the only thing she said i should work on is making sure my area is always green. I have A/B which is beauty, health, pets, stationary and small appliances. and when we have store visits section A is always called out no matter what. Are there any tips/tricks your store does to get certain areas of the store zoned each day? for example, my store has a mid day market zone everyday and hardlines/softlines and electronics come over to zone every isle.
Nope, but our payroll is so poor right now that are days on the coming up schedules where he have no electronics coverage. Today we only had an electronics person from 12-7, a fitting room person from 3-8, and myself the softlines TL from 2-10.

Our economy has started to go down hill, as a few major employers in the area have had massive layoffs. Most recently around 500 or so folks where laid off between big businesses about 100-150 miles away. Really don't see our payroll getting any better.

Just glad that our DTL has not come in a while.

Do you work in like an A++? I work at a high volume A+ and we have 2 hardlines one for domestics toys and sporting goods and one for pets plastics and HBA then our food team zones a majority of grocery before they leave and our electronics does seasonal and stationary

No, we are A volume. But we have only been having a hardlines TL and a softlines TL working dayside, so I guess we can afford to have more help at night.

We are A+ volume store. I closer for market 1 closer for hba/otc 1 for paper/Chem/pets 1 for sporting good toys 1 for domestics/stat 1 for home improvement/ small appliance 1 electronics and 4 Softlines plus 1 hardlines tl and 1 Softlines tl

Mandatory zoning for glory of store is enforced nightly. Whining and half ass efforts are discouraged by threats of sending to back room labor camp. Backstock is in great amounts, work never ends.

We are A+ volume store. I closer for market 1 closer for hba/otc 1 for paper/Chem/pets 1 for sporting good toys 1 for domestics/stat 1 for home improvement/ small appliance 1 electronics and 4 Softlines plus 1 hardlines tl and 1 Softlines tl
Wow. That's a lot of people and some very small zones.

Lately we've been focusing on recovery and using 5 hardlines closers (including electronics and market) in our A volume store.

At my store, we typically have one Electronics closer, one Market closer, and two to three hardlines closers. One will take HBA/Pet/Office/Stat, the other Home/Domestics/Bed/Bath, and if there's a third they will split it up further or have two people in Home.

The zone is "complete" each night at my store but I know it's not thoroughly zoned. When we have more closers A will be separated from B and the zones are better. (A is pets/Chem/cosmetics/HBA/healthcare and B is stationary/small appliances/housewares).
My other suggestion would be assigning 4x4s to team members during the day or mid-day zones so the zone holds better for the closing team.

When we don't have enough closers to zone all of hardlines, either A or B goes to whoever is scheduled mid-day. Of course, they only get a few minutes to actually zone because they spend the vast majority of their shift back-up cashing.

At my store, the backroom team is responsible for pushing CAFs, and whenever I'm on the floor pushing, I try to touch up the items I push and whatever else sticks out to me; I figure it's that much less the hardlines team has to worry about.

When we don't have enough closers to zone all of hardlines, either A or B goes to whoever is scheduled mid-day. Of course, they only get a few minutes to actually zone because they spend the vast majority of their shift back-up cashing.

At my store, the backroom team is responsible for pushing CAFs, and whenever I'm on the floor pushing, I try to touch up the items I push and whatever else sticks out to me; I figure it's that much less the hardlines team has to worry about.

Your backroom has to both pull AND work the CAFs?

Damn, I just pull them and backstock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back