Archived How does your store handle no receipt "exchanges"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I haven't posted in a while, but I was a GSTL for several years until I quit a year or so ago. As far as I can remember, Target never really addressed no receipt exchanges in their policy. The only time you could get the register to prompt for them if the guest exceeded the limit. I know there are various ways to get around it, but I just wanted to see how different stores handled that situation.
I received a gift from target.com and I had thrown the packaging away before I realized it was defective. I came to the store to get a new one, but the no receipt return price was 50 % off (not clearance, just a good sale, I guess). When I asked if the be willing to let me get another one, they said I would have to pay the difference. I didn't argue it b/c I couldn't remember the policy addressing this, but my old store would have done this without question for any guest...So guest service peeps, what would you have done?

For our store, it depends on who is working guest services. If I'm up there, or either of these two other girls, then we just adjust the price of the replacement one so that it balances out. Some people make the guests pay the difference. There's no set policy as far as I know, and no one seems interested in making one, so it's really all about hoping that you come on a day when someone is being nice.

I always follow the prompts when doing a no receipt return. Some of my stores stated the return limit while others said never to mention it because you never know if it will go through or not.

But if you are returning a Target.com item with no paperwork. You can always try to contact Target.com to request a copy of the shipping statement. But for in-store, as long as the item was defective and the guest was getting the exact or like item, I adjusted the price.

It depends, sometimes I'll take them, sometimes I won't. If I'm told the item is over 120 days old, then ownership is completely relinquished. It's no longer in the hands of Target, at all even with a red card. It's in the manufacturer's hands after that. Most of the time if you come up with a no receipt return, and if you're not being an ass, and it's not 120 days+ old, I will happily accept it and for exchanges, I will adjust the price no problem. As long as you understand that this is my job, and not my life to satisfy you, we'll be just fine.

If there is a problem with the original item and it doesn't look like it's been used for a billion years, or if you just need a different size/color, I will do an even exchange of the exact same item. I will have you get the new item, and they have to be the same...not a guest's definition of the same but actually the same, and I will return the first one and then sell you the second one at the reduced price. And I will remind you to hold on to your receipt.

It's common sense. It's what I would want done, so I would do the same. But no...if you just want to walk out with store credit, then you're getting whatever my register tells you you are getting.

Here is what I do:
  • Swipe any credit/debit card
  • Choose K1 Even Exchange
  • Scan the item they are returning
  • It obviously won't come up under card lookup, and prompts for ID
  • Scan their ID
  • Choose whether anything is wrong with the item
  • Press Total
  • Scan the item they are getting
  • Press Total again
  • As long as the items are eligible for even exchange (only different sizes/colors/exact same item) the prices will zero out, even if the item is currently selling at more than the no receipt return value
That's the only method I've found to force the POS to accept an even exchange in this case. I don't know why the K1 Even Exchange doesn't appear after scanning an ID.

Here is what I do:
  • Swipe any credit/debit card
  • Choose K1 Even Exchange
  • Scan the item they are returning
  • It obviously won't come up under card lookup, and prompts for ID
  • Scan their ID
  • Choose whether anything is wrong with the item
  • Press Total
  • Scan the item they are getting
  • Press Total again
  • As long as the items are eligible for even exchange (only different sizes/colors/exact same item) the prices will zero out, even if the item is currently selling at more than the no receipt return value
That's the only method I've found to force the POS to accept an even exchange in this case. I don't know why the K1 Even Exchange doesn't appear after scanning an ID.

I have no idea why you can't even exchange via ID return either. Also, definitely gonna try the method you posted out next time. Thanks for the tip.

I received a gift from target.com and I had thrown the packaging away before I realized it was defective
---------------------------------------------------

You just find the exact same item in the store, buy it at whatever price they charge, using your credit (not debit) card, wait a few days and take it back to that store or any of their stores with the receipt and all the packaging, BUT you (ie: the customer) sub the broken item for the new item and return the broken one and keeping the 'new' one. By using a cc you also have the protection of the card company who would side with the customer if the store gave them a problem on such a return.

I would've done this if I had thought there was a chance of them not doing it, but it caught me off guard when they told me 'no'. They knew me and knew I was a GSTL, and I felt like they thought I was trying to pull one over on them. It was just awkward.

I never knew about forcing the exchange by swiping their card though, I wish I had figured that out a couple of years ago!

@TSs The policy now is that you'll get up to $70/year in returns without a receipt, and for those items you get the lowest selling price in the last 90 days onto a gift card. After you hit that limit you can only exchange items from the same department, and the exchange has to be of equal or greater value to the original item (the register won't give money back on these exchanges). The only reasonable reason someone has to make use of this is either that they got the item as a gift with no gift receipt, or they paid with cash and lost the receipt. We can lookup receipts on any credit card, and about half of the ones that I get on a typical day have their receipt.

The thing is, we don't have to take every return. We don't have to take them after 90 days (go ahead and try to chargeback, the limit is 60 days for that), we don't have to take them if we can't find the item on your card or on a receipt, and we don't have to take food back that you have eaten (yes this happens often). Expecting stores to take back every return is unreasonable, and having valid proof of purchase is a basic requirement at many places if you want any kind of refund. We do ID returns as a courtesy, and we do attempt every return, but if policy prevents us from taking a return for some reason then tough tits, find your receipt, keep the item, or sell it on craigslist.

Now I don't have any delusions about the amount of money target makes, but if you were running your own store you probably wouldn't take returns without a receipt either. They create logistical problems, because after you run out of stock you may order a bunch of a product, but if a bunch of people return said item then you now have a surplus that you have to store somewhere. It might not be a problem for just one item but if you multiply it then it will create problems. They waste time, and it's annoying when someone is returning an item because they "didn't like it" (read the box/online reviews) or "it didn't fit" (try the fitting rooms next time). Many stores refuse to do business with amex because in their mind "if the store has the item they must return it" and if the customer leaves an item at the store and contests the charge, they will win if the store has the item (regardless of whether the store wants it or not).

You'll also have the scammers that will take product off the shelf and "return" it, the ones that buy huge amounts of health and beauty items with manufacturer coupons and return them (this turns the coupons into cash), and the dumb ones that say that they paid more for the item than is stated on the receipt, and just expect us to change it, I could go on...

I like what you do, but you clearly have never been a retail employee and have always been on the side of the customer. The customer is not god and stores have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason other than discrimination.

you clearly have never been a retail employee
You must have had a much different experience than I have then. Good on you for keeping your soul and humanity intact.

BTW you can use the quote button to reply to someone, or select part of their post to reply to a specific portion of it (what I have done with this post). This will let the person know you replied to them and will show everyone else who is being replied to.

....And if you don't dial down the font (bigger doesn't make you more credible, BTW) I'm more likely to skip past your posts without reading, which is a shame because SOMETIMES you do have a point.

if you don't dial down the font
------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read this baloney many times but will give you a reply this one time only, never again.

I haven't quite hit 70 yet but small type like you kids use is hard for me to read and my posts here and on my various blog sites are in one type face larger so it is easier for me to edit and for others to read.

I cordially invite all of you to just go read other people's posts and ignore mine. I am not changing how I write for a few know it alls who want to impose their editorial ideas on others.

I like how when a mod tells you to tone stuff like font size, you do.

Unfortunately Kohl's is also on my S**t list as you can see at 1 of my 4 blogs about that chain:

four blogs. jesus christ top lols

bye.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back