Archived How does your store schedule consumables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sr. Human Resources Team Leader
New in role Sr.CTL here and just wondering how our store schedules the consumable team. Like how many closers? How long? If you know how many hours you guys use that would be great as well. Right now I only have a person to open and a person to close, thats it. So it is pretty hard to close and do it 100% when you are going up for guest first and also doing pulls for half the shift. Looking to get creative with scheduling people.

Opener at 6 am, mid comes in between 9 and 10 am, then 2 closers who usually come in between 3 and 7 pm.

Opener at 6 am, mid comes in between 9 and 10 am, then 2 closers who usually come in between 3 and 7 pm.
Are they 8 hours shifts? Are you a Super? High volume?

1 opener: 6:00 AM to 2:30 PM,
1 Closer 3:00 PM to 11:30 PM. (Our store is open till 11PM.)

We are a high volume, probably an AA+ pfresh store.

We have 4 PAs. ALL PAs are to get every other weekend OFF.
On FDC Truck days 1 PA is scheduled under that Department along with 3 or 4 other TMs, at our store the FDC Truck is called "Inventory" not sure why.

We only do Pfresh valley produce and meat, dairy and freezer.

Dry grocery and paper fall under hardlines.

Last edited:
A+ volume PFresh here. I don't work in consumables, but I have a few friends in Consumables so I have fair idea.

Usually 1 opener from 6AM-2:30PM. 1 "Mid" from 10am-7:30pm. On weekends, we'll usually have a second mid from 12pm-8:30pm. 1 Closer from 4pm-12:15pm.

On FDC Truck days 1 PA is scheduled under that Department along with 3 or 4 other TMs, at our store the FDC Truck is called "Inventory" not sure why.

At my store we have 2 PAs and we get every other Saturday or Sunday off, not full weekends. My ETL told me that PA is not a leadership position so we can't get a full weekend off unless you request one of those days off.

I think my store is B+ volume.

1 Opener: 6:30 am -2:30 pm
1 Mid: 11:30 am-7 pm(on Wednesdays and weekends only).
1 closer: 2:30 pm-10:30 pm

Sometimes a 12 pm-5-pm hardlines mid helps out in P-fresh.

B Volume PFresh, 3 FDC/week

1 opening 0600 - 1430
1 closer 1430-2230

Of this, ~ 31-39 is for a "PA", another ~ 14-16 is for a "PA/FDC" , 8 hours is "CTL role" which is actually just the 2 TL's who deal with Market as part of their duties. :) What ever is left is split between a "semi PA/HL" TM and a few of the market qualified HLTM who don't refuse to work in market. PA is off every other weekend, split with the semi PA. PA/FDC works all weekends.

No mids, except during Q4, and it was mostly weekends.

~ 112 hours is the allotment for the next 6 or so weeks. We shave a few hours here and there to fit this. So you might have 1 hour between the opening and closer, which I have no clue who picks this hour up should something need to be done... as not every TM can work there.. IOW if a guest pushed the call box closest to market which there is NONE in market would get a HL TM who most likely has no clue how to help them, unless that happens to be the like 2-3 HL TM who have on occasion been dragged to work market.

I'd love to see some better schedules.. I just don't know that getting more than the 112 which is the absolute min you can do it with via the above, is going to happen unless there finally is a realization that putting MORE into Consumables ie: Market would actually help sales... but it also means we need to fix somethings in market too. The STL came from a Super and is "engaged" with market, but we could do better if we had simple basics versus grass clipping pulp.

Some of what I want to see something like 0600-1430 and an OVERLAP of say 1200-2200, and PA's/market leave with the cashiers at 2200. The DRY HL team member can complete dry zone, and clean up the last of dry reshop. I am not sure that would happen here, as that means that dry needs 112 hours too...making consumables 224 hours... I don't see that happening here even if it would be better for the store, ie: ZONE! Steritech!!!! HELLO! Hours needed to clean!!!! You pick SPP or CLEANiNG?! Guess which wins.

So post those schedules.

Non truck days 4 days out of week
1 opener 6am-230(pa)
Ctl 8 am-4
Pa 10-6
mid 1 till 6
Closer 630-12

Truck days
Opener Pa 6am-230
2 openers at 7 till 230 sometimes Ctl also
Pa 10-6
1 mid 1-6
Closer 630-12

The two pa get 32 hours each Ctl 40 the other 4 team members get 25-30 hours each

On a typical day, we get an 8-hour opener (6AM) and an 8-hour closer (until 11 or midnight on Saturday). The closer is expected to push P-Fresh, zone the entirety of market, and if time allows, help push dry. When hours get slashed (i.e. February), it's not uncommon for HR to "forget" to schedule a closer.

I remember when we used to schedule 29.75 hours worth of market coverage (2 openers and 2 closers) every day, even during Q1. It meant that all the push was finished, the zone looked fantastic, P-Fresh actually got culled on a regular basis, and even the cleaning tasks were completed.

I wish my store with 2 PAs and 1 CTL got a weekend off. That'd be nice. I mean, CTL gets one off, because she's TL.

Anyways, A vol Pfresh here, we are VERY close to A+.

We get a truck on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. When the truck comes, we have a few backroom guys (if they're caught up on their workload) push produce and frozen or produce and dairy, sometimes meat.

We schedule most of the truck push on the next day. So truck is actually pushed Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. It seems to work best for scheduling, since instead of having some guys wait around for the truck to get there, we have them scheduled and immediately start pushing. On a side note, I love Sundays because they push the truck, produce is completely full, and the ordering goes so much easier.

Backstock is done...whenever, tbh.

Same here for the valley. Produce meat dairy bakery and freezer.

What the heck do you guys do all night? You dont even have to zone dry market?

My store is lower volume.

Get 3 trucks from C&S a week.

Our Market Coverage is USUALLY

6-230 For Opener
2:30-7 For Closer

So about 85-90 hours total for the week.

Opener has to fill carts, reshop, SDA both SF and BR, help receive in C&S, Push out pulls, backstock pulls, fill milk/eggs/bananas/ice, order, vendor survey/vendor help, 30-40 min huddles, backup cashier, sometimes cover electronics breaks, ordering, working out Mcclane Candy, doing own cardboard, grab carts from outside. And clean i guess haha..thats a good one

Closer works out pulls, backstocks pulls, works out reshop, backup cashier, help all the guests on the entire side of the store where market is, fill baskets, helps C&S on freezer days otherwise they would never finish with backstocking after they push or even the push to begin with, oh and Zone ALL of Market which means Dry part of Market along with coolers and freezers.

My STL told me that Market gets all these hours....they graciously schedule 80+ hours for market every week so it should always look great......

At least with the new pull process there is only the 1pm pulls so opener or closer can finish those off and then its just zoning

What the heck do you guys do all night? You dont even have to zone dry market?
When I was a PA, we didn't zone dry market either.

I mainly opened, but when I did close I spent my time culling, cleaning, and constantly EXFing product to keep the pfresh area full. We also repushed whatever milk didn't go out in the morning and filled eggs. Towards the end of the night, I'd zone through the rest of the coolers, coupon meat, cull a rack in BR produce, sweep and wipe down the ambient room, and whatever else. Occasionally we'd help with zoning on a night with light coverage.

I've had some concerns with our new CAF rollouts. At our store, market no longer pushes anything unless it's a false out. Now our focus is reshop, zone, and QMOS.

the backroom team member has six hours to pull myFAs, back stock the morning team's mess and toss cardboard and pull CAFs and then push them. All.

It seems slightly lame to have this much stacked on one person for six hours. With payroll being like it is, it's strapping them to not push the market stuff which then leaves me running back and forth filling the outs that don't get restocked until the morning.

I like the new CAF rollout if we keep it out of the cooler pulls. Let the coolers be coolers. Not to mention market closers are getting pinched by payroll too. Usually we have 7-3:30 opener and 3:30-9 closer now due to payroll.

We are B volume:
6am-2:30pm opener
9am-5:30pm or 10am-6:30pm mid shift
5pm-10:30pm closer
9am-5:30pm C&S three days a week

4th quarter the CTL often helped out on her mid shift scheduled for consumables as well

We've had this for ages now and I'm not sure how they justified it first quarter with the hours so thin.

Opener does not do reshop unless forced, and only zones the pfresh valley. Midshift pushes cafs/helps fill and sets salesplanners for market. Closer does reshop and zones dry grocery as well as the valley, paper and shares seasonal with electronics if they get that far. C&S person pushes from truck, backstocks and sets salesplanners if they have time (which never happens anymore). We've gone back and forth from rotating weekends, working one weekend day and working every weekend (by my own request).

The new CAF schedule doesn't seem to be helping anything get done more efficiently from the pfresh side...but thats just our store.

B volume store with no CTL position. One opener, 6-2:30 and one closer, 3:30-10:00.

AA+, we usually have 3-4 throughout the day.
Opener from 6:30-1:30
11:00-7:30 (TL)
1:30-7:00
Closer from 7:00-12:30

We are B volume:
6am-2:30pm opener
9am-5:30pm or 10am-6:30pm mid shift
5pm-10:30pm closer

Are ALL of these PA(s) in actuality and a CTL , or a CTL, x PA(s) and some TM who can do "market?" What I am getting at by the book...errr. ORG chart how many PA(s) are you really allowed to have and have and getting the actual PAY as a PA and how many TM(s) are you sticking in that WC as "paper PA(s)" but they don't get the pay bump etc.. but have all the same duties, if applicable etc..

Ummm.. ONE TM for FDC? Or you have other TM(s) from other WC who make up a FDC team? And these TM(s) work only that schedule too???

Opener does not do reshop unless forced,
pfresh valley.

Not heard that one.... Where did this term come from ?? ? We call it "open market." Hmmm :) ;)

Opener does not do reshop unless forced, .....Closer does reshop

Ummm.. you let reshop sit ALL DAY??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Opener is expected grab what ever was collected and not worked during the closing shift, and should be going up to get it periodically as well. Closer should come in and grab it and then do the same to periodically go back and collect it.. Ideally only the "foreigns" should be there at night for the opener. Opener and closer should be doing this as part of their routines at start of shift.

paper and

Ummm.. thats not consumables ie: you can't eat paper, ok, you can, but its not really food... Paper = HL.

shares seasonal with electronics if they get that far.

:eek: :eek:

NYET! Consumables/Market TM(s) are for market.

C&S person pushes from truck, backstocks and sets salesplanners

Interesting... umm ONE person for B Volume FDC???
Who is pushing this stuff????

The new CAF schedule doesn't seem to be helping anything get done more efficiently from the pfresh side...but thats just our store.

Nope, not just your store... myself and my peers of PFresh are deciding what our plan is going to be going forward with this "improvement." Whether we go back to what did during the pilot or something new...

At my store, consumables does all of grocery-dry, pfresh, coolers, freezers-, plus paper, pet, and chemicals.

Shifts are usually 6-2:30 or 8-4:30 for the opener, sometimes a mid 10-6 or 11-7, and then closer anywhere from 2-5 until close.

It's awful. I feel really badly for them. They are always understaffed and behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back