Archived How is your store doing with Coachings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I'm aware, the priority is guest service, period. There are no exceptions. My ETL-Log was ripped a new one by the GVP because she caught him walking by guests instead of greeting them.

What's more beneficial to the store? Having three of the highest paid employees walking around, chatting about random things, or having three of the lowest paid employees working through tasks to make sure their area is clean at the end of the day?

In my mind, it's the latter. Yet the latter is seemingly less important than the former. Both, however, take a back seat to guest service according to our GVP.
I have to wonder, does the GVP walk around the store greeting guests? I have never seen my DTL greet guests as they walk by.

And I find, generally speaking, nobody higher up who comes through our store talks with anyone, guests or tms. Not so much as a hello. It's a rude culture up there in execville.:rolleyes:
Rude, clueless,and entitled. Of course they won’t deign speak to a lowly guest or TM; it’s beneath their dignity, you know. 🤴 👸😂🙄

For all of you Team Leads that are patting yourselves on the backs for all of the coaching you are doing, I have a question.
Don't you think your execs are doing exactly the same thing to you. if you are suddenly doing 15 coachings in a week, what were you doing before. That is a failure on your part to not manage your team previously. Yes we have expectations and yes people need to be accountable. But we are also human beings and every situation is not black and white. I will not performance someone out because they are too old, mentally challenged or physically challenged. And yes we have been told to do so. I will not lose my self respect and dignity for this...

For all of you Team Leads that are patting yourselves on the backs for all of the coaching you are doing, I have a question.
Don't you think your execs are doing exactly the same thing to you. if you are suddenly doing 15 coachings in a week, what were you doing before. That is a failure on your part to not manage your team previously. Yes we have expectations and yes people need to be accountable. But we are also human beings and every situation is not black and white. I will not performance someone out because they are too old, mentally challenged or physically challenged. And yes we have been told to do so. I will not lose my self respect and dignity for this...
Having to PDD your team leads is not a good look for ETLs, as we are a reflection on them. At my store the ETLs go WAY out of their way to advise us on what needs to change in order for stuff to not become documented coachings. An example extremely relevant to what you said: email from ETL HR saying hey this is the 17th week in a row I have to tell some of you that you haven’t been doing coachings for attendance, you guys need to work on this or I’ll have to send another email next week and eventually someday it might be a coaching for you guys if you don’t improve a little! Lol

ETLS in my store are coaching TLs...heavily. They are receiving pressure from the DTL to weed out certain TLS and "put the fear of god" in the others. I know this for a fact. (Group chats are great until you forget who is in on the group....Oooops!)
ASANTS and I realize that but I suspect this is going on all over.They are going to be over on head count AND they want new blood. Just like when the VMLs were hired. They wanted outside people with no Target experience. Currently they want leaders who can be molded and won't refer to the way it used to be. I would be very careful right now if you are a team lead.

Planning and scheduling are tasks though, not guest service. I guess an argument could be made that interviewing is guest service, as the person you're interviewing is still just a guest. So 1/3.
My team members know how to manage to say hello or nod to guests without dropping what they’re doing or harassing the guest, so I don’t coach them for this BS. What they can’t seem to figure out is how to count to five hours, or simply just follow the meal breakout we provide to them to avoid hitting compliance. I literally watched someone disregard myself then the STL calling them specifically to go on meal due to them ringing for second alert on the zebra. Instead they were chatting with the fitting room TM. Next time it’ll be a conduct CCA.

ETLS in my store are coaching TLs...heavily. They are receiving pressure from the DTL to weed out certain TLS and "put the fear of god" in the others. I know this for a fact. (Group chats are great until you forget who is in on the group....Oooops!)
ASANTS and I realize that but I suspect this is going on all over.They are going to be over on head count AND they want new blood. Just like when the VMLs were hired. They wanted outside people with no Target experience. Currently they want leaders who can be molded and won't refer to the way it used to be. I would be very careful right now if you are a team lead.
I appreciate seeing a different perspective on this. We keep ending up painfully under headcount, and keeping things afloat despite crazy TM turnover (go figure as the only workcenter that can manage to retain people, I get the worst payroll cuts)

Excellent advice.

I actually find workday to be easier. I did 10 coaching in less the 15 mins.
I wish, it's gotten better but the first few weeks on workday it took 1.5 min to just look up a TM name.

Don't you think your execs are doing exactly the same thing to you. if you are suddenly doing 15 coachings in a week, what were you doing before. That is a failure on your part to not manage your team previously. Yes we have expectations and yes people need to be accountable. I will not performance someone out because they are too old, mentally challenged or physically challenged.
ETLs should be holding TL and TM accountable.

The point isn't to performance out people that are old, mentally challenged, or physically challenged it's to find a location in the store that they can excel at working in. You should be able to make "reasonable accommodation," but if speed is one of the core rolls in the workcenter they were hired for and the TM can't do a core roll that's an issue.

In my experience the mentally challenged part can be hard to not performance out, but I've had physically challenged people that do better than other TMs and many seasonal TMs so they have never been written up. I've also had older TMs that I've had to performance out because they couldn't do their core rolls and they didn't want to learn another function. If I'm trying to be accommodating and you can't do your job it's a PDD. I have asked the STL to be in the room or have the conversation when they came into work and was too sick to actually do anything. Those are hard conversations.

I wouldn’t performance them out, either. TMs/TLs are not machines. Those who are doing their best should not be performanced out because of age, or mental or physical challenges. Those who are challenged have the protection of the ADA and age discrimination is illegal. Target has not only lost its mind, but its heart and soul as well. For shame...

If you are being directed to performance out older or disabled team members, that should prompt a call to the integrity hotline. Failure to provide reasonable accomodation for the disabled is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Discrimination against anyone over the age of 40 in any part of the hiring, work, or firing process is a violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967.

These aren't minor violations of the law. They are as serious as discriminating against employees on the basis of race or gender. The EEOC can and will come down on Spot like the fist of god if they find violations. It can also result in civil lawsuits, including class action cases.

If anyone here thinks they might be a victim of this nonsense, please go here to learn what you need to do: Filing a Charge - https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

I wish, it's gotten better but the first few weeks on workday it took 1.5 min to just look up a TM name

ETLs should be holding TL and TM accountable.

The point isn't to performance out people that are old, mentally challenged, or physically challenged it's to find a location in the store that they can excel at working in. You should be able to make "reasonable accommodation," but if speed is one of the core rolls in the workcenter they were hired for and the TM can't do a core roll that's an issue.

In my experience the mentally challenged part can be hard to not performance out, but I've had physically challenged people that do better than other TMs and many seasonal TMs so they have never been written up. I've also had older TMs that I've had to performance out because they couldn't do their core rolls and they didn't want to learn another function. If I'm trying to be accommodating and you can't do your job it's a PDD. I have asked the STL to be in the room or have the conversation when they came into work and was too sick to actually do anything. Those are hard conversations.

Accountable to what? If they suddenly are not performing that is suspect. If they are not performing at the new standard, why? You don't shove change down peoples throats, Its not that hard to explain what is happening and WHY, Then you give them the opportunity to get it. This doesn't happen overnight. Some of these older team members are our best guest service people, They talk to guests, they take them to product etc. We have a team lead that is barking at 2 older team members all fricken day long. Is this done yet? Have you don't this yet? Not once in her demeaning rants does she ask about service. Target wants robots now. They want team leads that smile and say YES SIR to their ETL without batting an eye. They don't want people who think, challenge upwards or are compassionate. One ETL said "I don't care if your dog dies, you better be at work." If you are okay treating people like work animals that is fine. I personally think of the people I work with as human beings, with stories, lives, strengths and weaknesses. It was my job to get the best out of them knowing that some would be great at tasks others at service. I would find out how to use the strength to develop the weakness. There is no more development.
Right now team leads are on power trips and I think its disgusting. Not all stores and not all team leads. There are stores that are implementing Modernization with great success and little turnover. Most of the turnover is due to the new shifts not because they are old, or challenged. But anyone who tries to rationalize performancing out older workers, who were perfectly good workers only 4 months ago or challenged team members have serious moral issues.
Yes it is illegal. I live in a state where you can be dismissed from a job for no reason. Proving age discrimination is tough.

Every time someone speaks to you about performance, it isn't a coaching. Huge focus on Service now means that you are being observed more closely. This does not automatically mean documented coaching. I provide feedback on a daily basis, both positive and negative, but rarely does it need to be documented.
Right now in my store every conversation IS a coaching. All leaders carry little note pads and are expected to jot down who they spoke with and write up coaching at the end of their shift. I WILL NOT do that this is beyond ridiculous right now.

Right now in my store every conversation IS a coaching. All leaders carry little note pads and are expected to jot down who they spoke with and write up coaching at the end of their shift. I WILL NOT do that this is beyond ridiculous right now.

Too true. Corporate needs to understand that you can coach people until you are blue in the face but it doesn’t make them suddenly able to do the impossible. TLs are not corrections officers and making TMs whipping boys is counterproductive. If no one meets Spot’s productivity standards, it’s time to look at the standards, not the team.😳

Do they think tms grow on trees? There are much better ways to get good results.

@Hardlinesmaster If accommodations are made and they still aren't able to perform the work then that's not a Target issue.

If you aren't making real accommodations or are making the wrong ones then it is your responsibility to figure out what to do.
Call DVR and talk to their employer outreach program.
They will come to your store and help you.
They will explain the laws and regulations then give you good ideas for accommodations that will create win-win situations.
There are resources out there but it is your responsibility to find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back