Archived How likely am I to stay after seasonal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebluej

Sr BR TL
I'm a new seasonal hire, this is my third week of work (softlines). I like Target, like working here, and I really want to stay on as a regular after seasonal is over. I've impressed the assistant HR, a GSTL, both my TLs, an ETL, and several TMs. My main TL even called me the "Reshop Queen" because I do it so quickly lol

My store regularly employees ~225 people, and was looking for ~90 seasonal hires this year. People in my store apparently like me. Next week I'll be crosstrained in hardlines (I was told by asst. HR that many SL people will do this).

I just want to stay as a regular employee. What are my chances? Any ideas?

To tell you the truth, it all depends on your store's sales during the holidays, next year projections, volume head count requirements, and any permanent hire turnover. There are years where stores might hire 25 seasonals and only keep 10, other times they might hire 30 seasonals and only keep 1, and other times hire 40 seasonals and not keep any. There will probably be some turn over for kids finishing college as well.

What you will need to do is have an outstanding performance record. Ex. Red card conversions, transaction speeds, attachment scores, attendance record, button times, survey scores, learn different work centers, take on extra shifts, communicate often with your area TL, area Exec, and STL to start off with (just don't be a face in the crowd; be at the front of the line waving your arms type attitude).

Many stores (particularly ours) use holiday hires as a way to replace deadwood.
If they see someone who is dependable, prompt, eager to learn & cares about their job, they'll likely be kept on. Then they start looking for the deadwood to "performance out the door."
It's also a good way to get rid of higher-paid TMs who aren't pulling their fair share.

But remember come 2 weeks or month after Christmas, you can start seeing a reduction in hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back