Archived How many sick hours can I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an emergency dentist appointment today and had two cavaties filled and a root canal done so my mouth is in a lot of pain and I won't be going into work tonight and possibly tomorrow. And I was gonna put in for sick to pad my check.

My question is can i use as many as I want? Like, if I'm out two days can I use 16 sick hours? I would inagine no. What's the limit if there is one?

Depends on what your avg shift length is.
If you're working a solid 40 hr week, you could put down for 8 hrs each day you take off for recovery.
If less, you will have to consider your weekly hrs/avg like a 30 hr/wk would mean about 6 hrs for each day.

I think you can only use your sick time for what you were scheduled, NOT to pad hours. Example, if you were scheduled 4 hours one day, and 6 the next day, you'd only be able to use 10 sick time hours.

I have no clue if this varies by state...or how nice your HR is, but that's all I'm ever able to do.

I'm only averaging about 10 hours a week. How much can i use?

If your average hours is only 10 you can't use more sick hours than what you worked plus sick hours.

I've worked 5 hours this week, so i can use 5? Is that what you mean? Lol sorry the whole thing confuses me

That's my understanding, I am going to check with my etl. I know vacation is limited to average hours. I believe sick pay is too but I need to check

You need to call out, too.
Every day you work. Just recently listened to a TM rant about being put down as a NCNS because they called in sick the night before their early morning shift. ETL said it was OK, but it got marked as a NCNS anyway. Not the first time this has happened at my store, either.

When I had to call out, my HR told me I could put up to 12 hours as long as it didn't go over my 40.

I thought it was really weird but hey my check was hella good.

How do you get sick hours? I've been Target almost two years and only get vacation.

Last edited:
I use it to pad hours. I can use up to my average hours whether I call out or not. I have no clue if it's my hr being nice or a variation because of the state I'm in, though.

If I may revive this thread a bit. Our state past a law about wick pay and now we accrue as of january. My question is I ended up leaving ewrly due to being sick (no damned clue what I have but it needs to go). My HR said I can use the sick pay to get the hours I lost today now is that something she imputs? I honestly got forced to go home bybmy etl and tms (willingly forced of course) and since this is new I want to make sure I can get my hours for my check next week.

Depends on what state you're in but in my experience if you have sick hours you can use those to replace the hours you would have worked. For example if you call out sick for a 4 hours shift then you can collect 4 sick hours. My HR team lets TMs use sick hours to pad their paychecks, but ASANTS. Technically I think this is illegal but it's not my ass on the line if we get called out for it so I don't worry about it.

I use it to pad hours. I can use up to my average hours whether I call out or not. I have no clue if it's my hr being nice or a variation because of the state I'm in, though.

My store was doing it wrong lol. I can use it if I call out or leave early whether that week I was scheduled beyond my average or not. Nothing more than the scheduled hours though.

If I may revive this thread a bit. Our state past a law about wick pay and now we accrue as of january. My question is I ended up leaving ewrly due to being sick (no damned clue what I have but it needs to go). My HR said I can use the sick pay to get the hours I lost today now is that something she imputs? I honestly got forced to go home bybmy etl and tms (willingly forced of course) and since this is new I want to make sure I can get my hours for my check next week.

It's a paper form you fill out to request them. It's the old time off form. There's a spot on it for sick hour states. Sick hours cannot be requested via ehr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back