Archived How Target has lost its way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy to hear that we weren't wrong in saying that things changed once Bob handed off to Gregg. Sad that they are just as frustrated at HQ as we are in the stores. That article says everything we've been saying for years on here.

Mannequins? Shoot me now.
We have legs up on out hosiery wall and upper torsos on out sports bra racks. About every third shift, I have to re-dress a set of boobs (what I call the torsos) even though there are plenty of sizes hanging beneath the torsos. I honestly think we don't have the time to keep re-dressing mannequins, considering the fact that we constantly run out of various sizes of various clothing pieces.

Mannequins? Shoot me now.

Don't we already have enough mannequins in the stores? We call them TLs & ETLs. ;)

Meanwhile, frustration with Mr. Steinhafel was growing in the executive suite. Late last year Kathee Tesija, the merchandising chief responsible for relations with suppliers, stopped talking to Mr. Steinhafel entirely, according to two people familiar with the matter. The rancor was partly due to the company's dealings with Procter & Gamble(PG).

P&G had allowed Target archrival Amazon to set up shop inside its warehouses and ship Pampers diapers and other household products directly to consumers. The move hit a nerve with Mr. Steinhafel, who in 2012 had sent a letter to all major suppliers asking them to help Target fend off competition from the Web.

When the CEO learned of the Amazon arrangement, Target gave some P&G products less prominent placement in its stores for several months. A spokesman for P&G declined to comment.

Greg addressed the new reality of how America shops via the internet as if being angry at suppliers & threatening them would help bring shoppers back into the stores.

A smart CEO would have dealt with P & G in a way that encouraged them to want to do more business with Target - NOT to try to punish them for doing what was best for their company.

Target pulled another braindead stunt when they boycotted Beyonce because they were pissed off that she had an exclusive deal with Apple. So what?! You sell the album a week later & you make money then - you don't refuse to sell it & force customers to KEEP buying it from your competition!

Last edited:
I loved the part about how Kathee Tesija refused to talk to Gregg anymore.
That's a pretty good microcosm of the communication situation in Target.
Bosses who can't act like grownups and work with each other so they resort to children's methods of dealing with one another.

I loved the part about how Kathee Tesija refused to talk to Gregg anymore.
That's a pretty good microcosm of the communication situation in Target.
Bosses who can't act like grownups and work with each other so they resort to children's methods of dealing with one another.

I know right? It seems like Corporate didnt have their shit together...although not suprising considering the types of upper management they seem to be hiring these days

The Beyoncé thing wasn't personal. Amazon didn't carry it for the same reason. It's also the reason they didn't carry Frank Ocean's debut and why they didn't carry some other albums no one cares about. The bey album was platinum in a weekend (and physical copies weren't available right away.. And didn't come with hd video, so not even worth the purchase IMO). Target usually only accounts for a few percent of all album sales so it wasn't a big deal.

On another note, really happy many of our shoppers can't reach the sports bra boobs. I've never had to dress them.

I do sometimes because I get nostalgic about looking through a physical booklet, and because they're usually cheaper. I feel better about the purchase if it costs less (or the same price sometimes) and I get something to hold. I use google play all access (their spotify competitor) to listen to music, though, so I don't typically use the actual CDs. Ohhh, and Kanye's MBDTF came with cool interchangeable covers. It's cute. But yea, I like to buy albums of artists I really enjoy, and I lean toward CDs.

I've cashiered on a few Tuesdays and discovered that I'm not alone.

Tl;dr yes.

Not much a secret for anybody in the stores. We have been saying these things here for years. What is suprising is just how screwed up Corporate is. We knew will all the screwed up stuff they rolled out and how everybody cheats to make these random metrics but, damn it seems they are even more screwed up that anyone imagined. No wonder Target went from the booming up and comer to the next Kmart so fast. Gregg sounds like and even bigger idiot than I thought.

"Since Mr. Steinhafel's departure, top executives have been given more freedom to plot strategy and enact projects -- like putting mannequins in stores. Target had tested the idea in a single big-box location in January; now it plans to install dummies in hundreds of stores this year."

Well, that makes sense ... there are plenty of dummies at Corporate, so why not even things out!

so the childish high school bullshite comes from the top. huh and here I was thinking that it was just stores oh well a guy can dream cant he lolz. though seriously this is nothing more then a retread of what we all say here on a daily basis. anyone who works in the stores for long enough knows this, nice to see the rest of the world catching on

For anyone who's anti-apple and does want mp3s, amazon is another option. They're as evil as any other company, though (have you seen the fire phone!? It's just an amazon shopping device tbh). Google Play's good too and frequently has sales and such. The standard edition of the In The Lonely Hour album is only $8! And sometimes albums go on sale for $3-7!

iTunes and apple aren't the only names in digital album sales. They're just the biggest.

Side note, I hate that there are different editions of every single album nowadays. Sam Smith has a target deluxe edition, iTunes edition and google play edition in addition to the standard. I'd need target and google to have every song... Or torrents of course.

This comment (shows up on my phone but not my PC) is interesting:

When Target was introducing the grocery section, at a nearby store. I happened to notice that in the coffee section, while having an abundance of whole bean coffee brands. About a half an isle at the time. There was no coffee grinding machine to be found on the isle. After checking out I stopped by the customer service counter on the way out and informed them of over sight. They tried to sell me a coffee grinder from the appliance section. As I explained to them, I was not going to be purchasing another appliance to clutter up counter space in my kitchen. When I could go to at least 4 other close by stores. And have the coffee ground free with my purchase.

While the guest could be seen as pedantic, this is the perfect example at the Vibe backfiring. "Our store doesn't have one of those but you can pay us money for our inconvenience."

It's real fun when a guest wants us to grind a non-Starbucks brand coffee & you have to tell them no.

Super Targets used to have a coffee grinding machine on that aisle. It was taken out despite heavy usage.

It's real fun when a guest wants us to grind a non-Starbucks brand coffee & you have to tell them no.

Unless the Starbucks TL was there or we were having a visit I would always do it but explain to the guest that normally we don't and I was just doing that one a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back