Archived How to be a good Team Lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demonstrate to your team that you’ve got their back, and that you’re at least trying to see it their way. A lot of us have drank more of the koolaid than we’d like to admit, but most TMs still know better, so be straight with them about changes. Fight for payroll for them. A high performing team feels recognized and valued. Let them know that you represent them to higher leadership, but that the team’s work represents you.

What @blacksheep214 said. I'd add a couple of things. 1) Trust your TMs to know their jobs and work accordingly. Be observant and if someone seems to be struggling, see how you can help. But don't hover or micromanage, constantly checking to see what they're doing. 2) Get your own hands dirty. If you expect to never clean up a spill or make a bale or do the electronics re-shop or whatever is the least liked task your team deals with, don't expect your TMs to say "how high" when you say "jump." 3) Be sincere in your appreciation. So instead of saying something generic, specifically say something like "I noticed how you dealt with that difficult guest on your check lane" or "Thanks for responding so quickly to numerous calls for OPU help" or whatever. 4) Don't play favorites. I've been a favorite and a non-favorite. The first is more pleasant than the second, but neither is good for team relationships.

Don't forget the human angle. People aren't machines. Empathizing and offering workplace assistance when things are bad in a TM's life will pay dividends when things get better for the TM and they can be more productive at work. They'll remember and they will work much harder for you than if you turned a blind eye.

Fair treatment. Even if you have favorites, don't openly show it. There's times to forgive and conveniently forget when a reliable person had a dumb moment, but make sure those times are off stage and out of everyone's eyes.

Never forget to say "Thank you."

A great team lead does not bother me one the walkie with "Are you doing OK?" when they get a goal time approaching alert. Kind of a bad time to chat. They open epick, look for themselves and act accordingly.
Holy shit yes this! If I needed help I would radio ahead, please fuck off.

Holy shit yes this! If I needed help I would radio ahead, please fuck off.
Yes, and to that certain ETL, calling on the walkie every 10 minutes to ask if we’re done picking orders yet and when will we be is not helpful, especially since orders are still dropping and stopping to talk on the walkie only slows things down. Dumbass.🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back