Archived How to properly apologize to management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Recently, I messed up and had a theft happen due to my carelessness and received a PDD (I think it was called that). Anyways, even more recently I accepted a fake bill. I used the marker to check it and it didn't smudge, but the GSA informed me it was a fraudulent bill. I am very regretful and worried I will be fired very soon. I feel awful that I let this happen and feel like I am a liability due to my lack of common sense. However, I really need this job and want to do whatever it takes to keep it. How should I apologize to the store and AP so they can forgive me and let me stay?

I wouldn’t say anything. Sometimes it’s better to let sleeping dogs lie. If they are going to let you go an apology won’t help and if they are keeping you an apology is not necessary. I’m sure you let the GSA know that you were sorry when she told you the bill was fraudulent and during the PDD, so they already know you regret your mistakes. Good Luck!🍀

We aren't even allowed to check/question the bills given to us so I'm not sure why you'd get in trouble for accepting it. It's basically against target policy to confront criminals, they can steal right in front of us and all we can do is smile and call for AP to handle it. If they do call you in make sure you ask for proper procedure at your store for what to do when handed counterfeit bills, how to spot them if the pen fails to, etc.

We have the machines you can put the bill through and markers. If the bill does not pass the test we do not accept it.

Hello everyone. Recently, I messed up and had a theft happen due to my carelessness and received a PDD (I think it was called that). Anyways, even more recently I accepted a fake bill. I used the marker to check it and it didn't smudge, but the GSA informed me it was a fraudulent bill. I am very regretful and worried I will be fired very soon. I feel awful that I let this happen and feel like I am a liability due to my lack of common sense. However, I really need this job and want to do whatever it takes to keep it. How should I apologize to the store and AP so they can forgive me and let me stay?

I think it's better to learn from it and don't do it again than to apologize.

If they call you in to talk to you, head it off by first asking them what you can do in the future, so it doesn't happen again. Don't lead off by apologizing. They will at least see that you want to be careful. If they are going to fire you they will; maybe they won't.

Back in the day, we were told to accept bills no matter what except if they are visibly counterfeit. Insurance would cover any loses.

Anyway....
1. You are not a counterfeit bill expert.
2. Did your store provide you and the cashiers training on identifying fraudulent bills?
3. Did you follow all store procedures when you accepted the bill?
4. You are not allowed to confront the guest except for stating that you are not able to accept the bill.

Counterfeit pens and bill scanners are pretty common so not really a closely guarded Target security secret.
Whether we use them, and under what circumstances, and our responses to counterfeit bills, those are Target security issues and shouldn't be discussed in a public forum

Target has been testing counterfeit bill markers for years now, think my store was one of the first at over a decade now. If it didn't smudge how would you be able to check at the register otherwise?

I'm curious as to how they even knew it was you that accepted the bill.

My one question is how does theft happen due to carelessness? Did you put something in your pocket and forget?

As for fake bill, if you checked it, you should be fine.

As AP, I wouldn't ever get upset with someone because of that lol. Counterfeits are getting better and better these days. Don't apologize but instead ask for help. A good AP team member will want to make you more knowledgable around the areas where you are susceptible to theft/fraud/scams etc. I don't think you'd be fired especially since it was only a PDD(depending). I wish you good luck!!

We aren't even allowed to check/question the bills given to us so I'm not sure why you'd get in trouble for accepting it. It's basically against target policy to confront criminals, they can steal right in front of us and all we can do is smile and call for AP to handle it. If they do call you in make sure you ask for proper procedure at your store for what to do when handed counterfeit bills, how to spot them if the pen fails to, etc.
As a former gstl that’s not true, it’s targets policy to test every $20,$50, and $100. Obviously $20s is a stretch but we are supposed to check them all and just inform the guest that you are unable to accept the bill.

As a former gstl that’s not true, it’s targets policy to test every $20,$50, and $100. Obviously $20s is a stretch but we are supposed to check them all and just inform the guest that you are unable to accept the bill.
yeah that's what my AP says but no one checks 20s, but 50s and 100s are a must

it depends on your district and your individual store's risk level. not every store has (or even is ALLOWED to have) bill checking machines or counterfeit pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back