Archived I applaud all the Target Veterans....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out recently I've been capped on vacation for who the hell knows how long. Time to take a vacation. It really sucks coming back, though. Alcohol and cigs have been my saviors for the past two years. Target was great before that, but that's just a memory. It's hard after a while, you start thinking in terms of years: "oh maybe next year will be better." "Wow, this past year has sucked ass." "I can't wait for this dickhead who has been here for the past three years to be fired." "This horrible STL has been here for five years, when is she rotating to the next store??" Maybe when I hit ten years I'll be thinking in terms of decades. "Maybe this CEO will make things better..."

Seriously though there is an alcohol store right across the shopping plaza from my store. I love the convenience!

It really sucks coming back, though.

Tell me about it! Everybody at my store is under the impression that "Oh, Oath will zone cosmetics, don't worry about it, just do healthcare!" I only did one vacation and I was afraid to come back like "oh fuck this is going to be horrible".

After 18 years I realize either I am crazy as hell or dedicated. If I was betting man ( which I have been known to do, if nickel slots count :) ) I would say its a mixture of both. On a serious note..when I started with Spot it was a really nice place to work. I loved going to work every day....I would work 10-12 hour shifts and had fun while doing it . Now...the whole culture in the company has changed and not for the better. I have come to realize that I cant wait for Spot to change...I have to change. Sometimes I feel as tho I have wasted the last 18 years...I have spent it working my ass off and have to still fight for hours and worry about insurance etc. However, I also know that my time with Spot has taught me so much about life and people in general so I am thankful for that . I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason.

For me, hell, three years in retail, I would view as something good on a resume. Shows future employers that no matter how difficult and annoying the job and customers may be, I still stick it out and will stay with the company.

If I hadn't moved to the DC and slowly moved up the little ladder I had... I couldn't have stayed.... Six years. At least I've moved up the ladder and learned something along the way and done much better then those who have been here longer then I.

I stand on the backs of giants, for only with them can I even stand.

I can imagine doing it for years if you progress up the ladder. But 10+ years as a TM, how do you do it?

Went to Spot last night, planned on getting my son a cake pop at SB because he's been awesome all day. Boom, forgot it was end of month and Target doesn't know how to manage payroll. SB and FA were closed (6pm) store closes at 11. There were 2 Cashiers and the lines were packed.

I don't usually get a burnt out feeling when I'm working in a logistics work center. If I had to guess, I think the major factor there is guest interaction. When I first transferred to my current store, I was hardlines and it was quickly pulling me down. Moved to backroom day over a year ago and I've been alright most of the time.

I can imagine doing it for years if you progress up the ladder. But 10+ years as a TM, how do you do it?

Went to Spot last night, planned on getting my son a cake pop at SB because he's been awesome all day. Boom, forgot it was end of month and Target doesn't know how to manage payroll. SB and FA were closed (6pm) store closes at 11. There were 2 Cashiers and the lines were packed.

That is that store can't do payroll.

It's been my opinion that Target overly manages the payroll. Half of the time, they'll freak out in the first week of the month because we're missing by like 100 hours or so, gut the budgets of the next 2 schedules that will be written (the ones for the end of the month). Then, payroll will naturally catch up due to call ins (there's ALWAYS callins in flow and front lanes, every fucking day) and sales catching back up. Next thing you know, they're calling everybody up on the last week trying to blow the flex we've accumulated. This happens almost every fucking month and holy shit it gets old.

I once saw 2 newbie ETLs freaking out because we missed payroll by 50 hours for the month. I have worked for 5 different retailers/grocery stores and only Target put this much emphasis on payroll budgets.

Only way I've found to deal with getting burned out is to quit. I've burned out twice on Target now lol.

If you have a decent amount of experience and work hard, you can hit up most Temp Agencies and get jobs that pay $15+/hour (and this is Minnesota where cost of living is much lower than some areas)

Thank you. I am not sure if am exactly a veteran although this year will be my 6th year so I guess I could be considered a veteran in Target world I guess. I sometimes wonder why am I still here?? I even get people who are noobs saying how long have you been working here? I say ( mumbles six years) woah that long? Yep......... I always remind myself hey it's a job and I should be thankful I have one because some people do not have them......

Thank you. I am not sure if am exactly a veteran although this year will be my 6th year so I guess I could be considered a veteran in Target world I guess. I sometimes wonder why am I still here?? I even get people who are noobs saying how long have you been working here? I say ( mumbles six years) woah that long? Yep......... I always remind myself hey it's a job and I should be thankful I have one because some people do not have them......
When anyone asks me how long I've been working at Target, I give them a wild grin and tell 'em I'm working on my 7th year. Not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to stick around without going insane, though.

Only way I've found to deal with getting burned out is to quit. I've burned out twice on Target now lol.

If you have a decent amount of experience and work hard, you can hit up most Temp Agencies and get jobs that pay $15+/hour (and this is Minnesota where cost of living is much lower than some areas)

Yea if I had a car I would've been did all that.

Y

Yep and some ppl can't at all. Thanks to petty criminal offenses

When I left at the end of April last year I was going on 8 yrs. Went to another job that paid more but got let go there. Now I'm retired. Sometimes, looking back, I don't know how I lasted that long.

I remember after my first Back-to-School, working on the sales floor, and thinking, "this will be the last time I do this!" I said the same thing about Black Friday. Here I am, six years later, with no end in sight. I honestly never thought I'd be here as long as I have.

^This.
Any time there's a chance to move around, do it.
Keeps it fresh, less likely to go postal & it's hard to hit a moving target ;)

It's been 8 years for me and watching it shift from what it was to what it is devastates me. I used to love my job and was excited to go to work. Now I dread every day. I've been a TL for the last 5 years. I used to want to be an ETL and eventually an STL but have decided that as soon as I find a job that my degree will land me, I am out. I hate going into work being disrespected and can't even get a "hello" from my etl. My old HR used to say "expect more from your team members, pay them less" and he was right.

Also it's really sad because I love what I do and wish I could look forward to going to work. The way I deal with it all is to go online and realize that I'm not the only TM that feels the way I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back