Archived I applied to become a perishables assistant (PA) at my store

• Thread starter Pfreshbackroomguy
  • Start date
  • Replies 88
  • Views 17K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! Now you can run screaming into the night (a la "What have I DONE?!").

Congrats! Now you can run screaming into the night (a la "What have I DONE?!").

red, you are so true & funny!!

Thanks everyone. I had weird happen to me. On Saturday, primary work center changed from backroom day to sales floor. I was keyed in under backroom day and worked on the sales floor. I remember a HR tm told me that at the beginning of each year, they re key people to make sure they are in the right work center & it would be done in a few weeks at the beginning of the new fiscal year.

So today, I had a chat with our Sr TL HR (our old ETL HR is on matturnity leave while our brand new ETL HR is training at another store). He told me i was keyed under pay grade 3. With my promotion, i would be getting a dollar raise in pay (going from pay grade 3 to 9). I will be getting over $10 an hour. If they didnt change my work center from backroom day to sales floor, i would have gotten a 25 cent raise (pay grade 7 to 9).

He also said they are going to change my work centers aka promote me, this week.

Lucky me
congrats! now, show them what you can do in pfresh! drive sales & be green on your scores.

Thanks everyone. I had weird happen to me. On Saturday, primary work center changed from backroom day to sales floor. I was keyed in under backroom day and worked on the sales floor. I remember a HR tm told me that at the beginning of each year, they re key people to make sure they are in the right work center & it would be done in a few weeks at the beginning of the new fiscal year.

So today, I had a chat with our Sr TL HR (our old ETL HR is on matturnity leave while our brand new ETL HR is training at another store). He told me i was keyed under pay grade 3. With my promotion, i would be getting a dollar raise in pay (going from pay grade 3 to 9). I will be getting over $10 an hour. If they didnt change my work center from backroom day to sales floor, i would have gotten a 25 cent raise (pay grade 7 to 9).

He also said they are going to change my work centers aka promote me, this week.

Lucky me

Congrats. That's nice of them to do. A dollar is like the bare minimum one should take, though. It's tough work.

Well, there are alot of ways. On the computer, you can go under HQ signs, put in the Dept# and all the TPC (as well as every other sign avail) will come up. I batch by type, then Highlight all the TPC and print.

I know there is a way to do it by aisle, but I never do ad signs, so off the top of my head, I can't say.

Congrats!!!! Welcome to the world of PFresh Assisting!!!!

You can also click on the "create store sign" in the pop-up sign menu on the signing computer, then type in dpci and choose sign size from drop down box on bottom. That way it will automatically print the sign for the current price at your store whether that is sale, tpc, or 3x5 it will figure it out on its own.

Only annoyance I have discovered with manually typing in signs on the computer is that I haven't found a way to make "multi item" signs without a PDA.

Last edited:
I have been having some concerns with that my SR HR TL said about my pay increase. See before i was working backroom day/market, i was hardlines. I was making 8.41 an hour. Then my work center changed and i got bumped to $9.00 an hour. I believe when you change work centers with a pay increase, you get bumped to the starting pay of that position.

As a "sales floor" team member, i am in paygrade 3. The starting pay for pay grade 3 at my store is $8.75 an hour.

Now to anyone with HR experience or HR knowledge, if there a $1 difference between pay grade 3 and 9, would i get automatically bumped to $9.75 or over 10 an hour like my SR HR TL said?

I am not 100% sure how you were keyed based off of your rundown... How it generally works is if you are under the store's new starting rate (ie your 8.41 versus the 8.75) then you just get bumped up to the new starting rate and don't actually keep your previous raises! However, you got bumped to $9 instead (which in most store's would be the PG5 pay), which is where my confusion comes in with the situation! Either way, if you are actually a PG3 right now at $9/hour, I would put you at $10... If you are PG5 at $9/hour then it would be $9.75

Also as a warning, some stores will amend their paygrade charts depending on long term hiring needs! For example, if some stores couldn't support a food staff there have been times they get approved to make all food positions PG7 or higher to help stay staffed! Or I know of a store that has ALL positions PG7 because that store in particular couldn't staff!

You should be making over 10... Your merit raises should stick with you so saying that you got .41 in merit raises over the years you should make (9.75 + .41) = 10.16 per hour... At least that is how it has worked for me everytime that I have changed workcenters or been promoted.

You should be making over 10... Your merit raises should stick with you so saying that you got .41 in merit raises over the years you should make (9.75 + .41) = 10.16 per hour... At least that is how it has worked for me everytime that I have changed workcenters or been promoted.

The issue is that his store's starting rate increased... When that happens you do not keep your merit increases...

When I first got hired in August of 2009, i was hardlines. My pay rate 8.25 an hour. Then during my first merit increase, i went to 8.41. Then there was a store wide pay increase of all hardlines tms to 8.50 in my area. I then started to work in the backroom p fresh area in December 2010, so they switched my work center to backroom day. I pay went from 8.50 to 9.In Early Feburary, they switched to market aka p fresh and i have been there ever since. During my second merit increase, i went from 9 to 9.23 an hour. Then sometime in the past few weeks, they switched my work center from backroom day to Sales Floor team member.

At the time i switched to backroom day in December 2010, 9 an hour was the PG 07 rate for backroom day. I knew this because a few of the newbs during seasonal told me they all got 9 an hour. I mentioned this before but the starting pay for pay grade 3 at my store is $8.75 an hour because some sales floor tms fro this past 4th quarter told me their pay rate was $8.75.

Frontend. That makes sense. I will be happy with at 10.16 an hour. I hope you are right about this. If i do get under 10 an hour, should i complain saying i was told by hr i be getting over 10 an hour.

So here is what I am seeing and you can correct me if I'm wrong...
Start at $8.25 (PG3)
Raise to $8.41 (Merit Increase)
Raise to $8.50 (New Starting Wage)
Raise to $9.00 (PG7 Raise)
Raise to $9.23 (Merit Increase)

Now here is where I get confused...
Down to $8.75 (PG7 moved to PG3... sometime while you were in backroom starting wage moved up from $8.50 to $8.75?)
Raise to $9.75 (PA promotion PG9)

Let it be clear that NOBODY in the store is guaranteed every other weekend off...NOBODY. This is often offered up as a perk to people working in certain positions and can be changed at the drop of a time depending on several factors, staffing being the stand out among them.

the PA's .. team leads .. lods .. and our softlines brand in our store have a set schedule ( one same night to close , one same day off , and every other weekend off ) and our STL has guaranteed it .. so i guess that differs from store to store

You are still a TM, don't forget that. As such you aren't guaranteed every other weekend off. At my store I was the only food assistant (1 of 4) that had every other off and had a set schedule with same shifts and same day off.

I would say that since the person you are replacing had it that you can more than likely expect the same schedule that they had.

Got it.

So because of staffing issues, since I got promoted to pa, I have been closing 4 out of my 5 shifts with the 5th.shift being a mid shift. I didn't get learning plan until a month ago. I have been shown how to do twice. Today is my first opening shift since the promotion . I get to do the order today

On the ordering part ...
I've heard that many of the stores are going to a system much like the rest of the store where pfresh is stoked on the basis of sales and there is very little you guys can do in terms of ordering.
This means everything is going to have to be pushed quickly and right, instocks is going to have to shoot outs, etc.
Have you heard anything about this?

On the ordering part ...
I've heard that many of the stores are going to a system much like the rest of the store where pfresh is stoked on the basis of sales and there is very little you guys can do in terms of ordering.
This means everything is going to have to be pushed quickly and right, instocks is going to have to shoot outs, etc.
Have you heard anything about this?

They cut bakery out of the ordering process along with the deli items, like the burritos, tacos, the different dips, and they cut out the juices and tofu. We still order all the fresh meat, ground meat and chicken, along with all the produce. Ive ordered a couple times since they have changed it and it speeds the process up somewhat which is nice

Also on the topic of odering maybe its just me and getting the hang of it but I feel im taking longer than I should. I do what it says with checking on the promotions, the out of stock that C&S cut, and then go through the backroom to check all the dates and write them down on the perishables inventory guide. I guess id rather take the extra time to make sure everything is right than speed through it and miss a few things.

Also is anyone elses team member availablity score in the tank. ALL of our other scores are green and almost all are above 3.6 but the team member available which is like 3.29 which even though its that low is STILL 11/60ish in the region haha.

Last edited:
You guys should get out of food.. it sounds way too stressful lol.
Try to get into AP, that's where the decent wages are.
When I was still with the company not to long ago, I was a PG 11 in AP making $13.50/hr after 4 years.
From what I heard, a new TPS @ PG9 is looking at $9.50/hr and jumps up to $11.25/hr once he gets promoted to the senior role (PG11) -(Which is also the NEW pg for a starting TL)
As soon as an AP position opens up, make sure to jump on it.

Last edited:
You guys should get out of food.. it sounds way too stressful lol.
Try to get into AP, that's where the decent wages are.
When I was still with the company not to long ago, I was a PG 11 in AP making $13.50/hr after 4 years.
From what I heard, a new TPS @ PG9 is looking at $9.50/hr and jumps up to $11.25/hr once he gets promoted to the senior role (PG11) -(Which is also the NEW pg for a starting TL)
As soon as an AP position opens up, make sure to jump on it.

Eh I love it, some days are a little stressful but thats just from trying to get as much as I can done in the ammount of time I have =). I enjoy the work and it goes by pretty quick. I am making almost $11 /hr after my review wages kick in in a week or so

I have heard of the new system. My store doesnt get the spring update untill May 24th. So the ordering is like before, except no bakery, deli, blended juices, dips and tofu. We still have to use the perishables inventory guide.

I had to do the ordering, all the p fresh push from all coolers, do the SDA, do the TPCs, do the 11, 12, 1 cafs and clean up my trash and qmos by 230 all by myself. We only have two people today.

What is funny, our ETL LOG talked to me today. He asked me what my "plan" was for today. I told him it was to get my FIRST order BY MYSELF done and possibly do some monthly cleaning if possible. He then asked what about coming clean in terms of backstock. Id told him i would do it if i had time but there is always something to do. He then told me i need to be more efficent with my time. According to him, i was talking too long to do the normal sunday heavy p fresh push and i need to backstock my own push. What is funny, my etl told everyone at our last meeting that we dont need to backstock and we need to stay on the floor while the store is open.

I wouldn't worry about cleaning logs. That should be at the bottom of priorities.

I wish that were true.

Last week, our CTL had a chat with me and our other PA. She said we have to get the cleaning logs complete every day, week and month or we will get written up if they are not complete. We do the daily and monthly with ease (at least i do) but the monthly is tough.

She was said we will get written up if she finds expired products that should have been pulled in previous days. She acts and talks like she NEVER EVER misses anything on her culls, zones and closes when both me and the other pa find stuff she misses all the time.

I would probably do the ones on the checklist that you kinda have to do, but the ones that you don't just go ahead and sign off anyways. Target is in the money making business, not the cleaning business. The more time spent on cleaning is less time you can spend on driving sales. It's cutting corners, but the expectations are sometimes unrealistic when it comes to food so everyone needs to have a mental list of priorities.

And you could literally cull for two hours and you would still miss out of dates. It's just how it is when there's thousands of products to check. If your CTL really goes through with her coaching threats, then smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back