Archived I call out because

I will call out if...

• I am clopening

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Scheduled too early (but still in my availability)

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Scheduled too late (but still in my availability)

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I need two days in a row and haven't got one

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I was scheduled in a workcenter I hate

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciating the insights this far. Is there anything a schedule writer can do to make you more or less likely to come in?

Reactions: NPC
Appreciating the insights this far. Is there anything a schedule writer can do to make you more or less likely to come in?

Clopening, I've never called out because I had to clopen but I've debated it. Not sure how ETLs and GSTLs/GSAs can do it so often without breaking immediately, but they do it and then there's me who complains about it the moment I see it on my schedule.

I think the worst case of clopening for me would be clopening in a work center that's not mine(specifically cashiering)

I just want to feel like I'm able to be productive with my time. My number one preference is consistency. Second would be consecutive days off. The opposite of that, inevitably leads to a call out after a few months.

Being scheduled 5.75 hours is a killer shift, because usually if I get scheduled that kind of shift, it's cashiering, and they make you take your breaks according to a schedule and last time I worked that kind of shift they had me take my 15 only an hour and a half into my shift so I spent the last 4 hours having to pee. o_O:D

I called off at Target once in the last 18 months, because my daughter could not safely be left alone (she was in the midst of a massive psychological break that led to a hospitalization).

At other jobs, it's been a variety of myself being sick, a child being sick, a couple mental health days, and 2 or 3 transportation days when I worked downtown, took mass transit, and the entire train line was shut down for a pedestrian fatality, which sadly happened far too often.

I don’t ever call off unless I’m truly really sick, but I prefer a consistent schedule, especially considering I have open avalibltity, it can be annoying to have my schedule be Monday, Wednesday, Friday for like a month or two, and me get totally use to that schedule and start to plan things like when I do my schoolwork etc around that and then have it be totally screwed up and be Monday, Tuesday, Saturday or something. Consistency is nice.

I'm in price change and so almost always have weekends off. If I'm given a weekday off and then given a Sat or Sun cashier or ad set shift I'm gonna first try hard to swap it but have called out. I think scheduling tms outside their normal shifts, either by day of the week or time of day, will increase call outs. I've maybe called out once or twice for those reasons but will almost always grudgingly work them.

But thinking of tms I know that call out fairly regularly its usually for a work center they hate (cashier usually), they have either too many days straight and want a day off or they are barely on the schedule and figure why come in for one shift if they could have a week off instead. And these are decent tms who do good work and aren't lazy and the type I suspect you are inquiring about.

I can't imagine what it's like to look at a bundle of hours to schedule and a large group of people who need to work them and make it fair, avoid conflicts with availability, placate any issues tls might be having with tms, and make a schedule that makes the majority happy enough to not call out. Whew!!! My hat is off to all hr etls and tms who wrestle that beast every week!! :)

I almost never call out unless too sick to muddle through....but even though I don’t, I do prefer having a consistent schedule like @HLN13 said. Especially since I have 2 jobs. It’s nice for planning.

I have never called out because of any of the options you listed. I have only called out due to illness. Pisses me off when the usual co-workers call out or no show; it just makes it harder on those working that day.

I've never called out, but I did get written down as a NCNS once because I found someone to cover a shift the night before and the LOD forgot to change it in the schedule. I went to my brother's college graduation.

Yes!! Biggest thing I would say is to get to know your TMs and actually ask them what kind of shifts they prefer. For instance, I am SO not a morning person but kept getting 7am-4pm shifts when I started. Then I talked to other cashiers who were complaining about having to work late hours...um yesss please! Let’s swap!!!
Another cashier (who had young kids) and I both had open availability but she was always scheduled nights and I was early mornings...turns out there was no reason other than that had worked so far so HR just stuck with that.

Talk to people and ask how their shifts are working. Often I’m sure there’s nothing you can change, but sometimes just paying attention can help so much!!
Would be impossible to keep track of everyone’s preferences like that, but if there’s a way to default stuff in your scheduling software that would be ideal. So you could add in notes/notifications that come up whenever you schedule Amy for a clopen or Paul for late-night (same as I’m guessing it shows when you try to schedule a minor against their time?) or Laura for a 5.75 when she’d rather work a 5.5 scheduled as a 6...
In college I did the scheduling for my on-campus IT help desk and we had those abilities in our scheduling app years ago, so I’m sure something lol that is available now to use!

ETA...sorry got distracted. To answer directly, just schedule then follow up at some point individually to see if the schedule is working for that TM. Also, not sure if this is allowed, but schedule fewer hours for the TMs who consistently call out. Not to punish them necessarily, but more like to reward the ones who do show up...

Last edited:
I have only called out when actually sick, but I chose "clopening" because if I were to ever call out for another reason, that would be it. That abrupt jerking around of the body clock makes me feel sick, so it wouldn't be too far off the mark.

ETA: I saw your question about anything a schedule writer can do. My situation is a little different because only a handful of people are authorized to do what I do, and sometimes that gives HR little to work with. That said, peek at the previous week's schedule to make sure we aren't pulling a long stretch with no days off. (I realize that's not always possible, particularly when other TMs in the same job are off/on leave/what have you.) Try to keep an eye on clopens. Individual convenience aside, we're more likely to make mistakes and less likely to have much patience when we're exhausted, regardless of workcenter.

Last edited:
Called out once when I broke out in hives and had no allergy meds. Whole body ballooned beyond functioning.

Also, while ago we had a series of call outs every Friday because our SrTl was physchotic when she was pregnant and that was her closing night. :rolleyes:

I've called out maybe twice during my time with Spot and both was family emergencies. I just don't call out even though I've had several times where I wished I did.

I can tell you a lot of team members call out on paid weekends...I wonder why lol

I've only called out once in 5+ years and it was for the death of a pet (discovered literally as I was getting ready for work).

But while there are always going to be callouts for unexpected life issues, I've always felt that when there are people who call out habitually (which tend to be the people with excuses like in your poll, imo, and department leads usually notice the trend), they should just not be scheduled those days and their shifts/hours given to more reliable workers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It seems logical to assume if they're willing to call out for reasons of inconvenience that they don't need the money that much, and fair to the others always being scheduled with them and having to do twice the work.

I've called out maybe twice during my time with Spot and both was family emergencies. I just don't call out even though I've had several times where I wished I did.

I can tell you a lot of team members call out on paid weekends...I wonder why lol

in the PNW it will be any weekend it is sunny and dry outside you can look at the schedule and see the kids that will call out.

and graffiti, thanks forgot this one - pet illness - that has happened three different times. Dog severely ill and a three day stretch when he was dying. Dog injury as well. Big dogs come with big injuries.

For me, I have to agree with everyone else, a consistent schedule. My brain is unstable enough on its own and doesn't need help. An exterior schedule that is consistent creates an exterior frame that is helpful in stabilizing my brain. An exterior schedule that is chaotic feeds and worsens the internal instability.

I joked with my ETL on the third weekend in a row she was covering electronics because of call outs that they might as well stop scheduling a closer in electronics on weekends and assign those hours to the floor. At least there's an extra body to help cover the floor or electronics so she's not stuck there the whole night.

I know my ETL tries to be consistent about schedules, now that we're out of the holiday season, and wants to know if people have other preferences than what she's scheduling. She also gets salty if people up and schedule her people in other workcenters without checking availability, max hours or the rest of that person's schedule. That doesn't happen so much now, but HL was being scheduled in SFS by someone else during the holiday season fairly regularly.

Being scheduled 5.75 hours is a killer shift, because usually if I get scheduled that kind of shift, it's cashiering, and they make you take your breaks according to a schedule and last time I worked that kind of shift they had me take my 15 only an hour and a half into my shift so I spent the last 4 hours having to pee. o_O:D

HKFYWFg.gif

Call out more, sure, keep scheduling a 5.75 hour shift (6 hour state), especially during busier times. Also, Do Not schedule for more hours than my availability. I think this could be quite important to folks who have another job. Over scheduling leads to burnout, and that makes it more likely someone will need a break, whether it's their day off.

Also, weekends. Depending on the staffing levels, try to ensure TMs get some weekend time off. I understand it's retail, but very few people want to work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday EVERY weekend. We have families, plans, activities. ..

Call out more, sure, keep scheduling a 5.75 hour shift (6 hour state), especially during busier times. Also, Do Not schedule for more hours than my availability. I think this could be quite important to folks who have another job. Over scheduling leads to burnout, and that makes it more likely someone will need a break, whether it's their day off.

Also, weekends. Depending on the staffing levels, try to ensure TMs get some weekend time off. I understand it's retail, but very few people want to work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday EVERY weekend. We have families, plans, activities. ..

^^Why I have one of those days as unavailable. I don't care really which weekend day I work but will not work both. I consider that fair, and that was how a TL of mine did the schedule for years. She said it was something in her power to do and other than the people who only work weekends it allowed everyone to have a life and that kept people from calling out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back