Archived I can't back up the lanes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, my back room operates the same way. First come, first serve. If you want something done faster, I recommend you learn how to do it yourself, or don't get all pissy when you have to wait your turn.

Yup, my back room operates the same way. First come, first serve. If you want something done faster, I recommend you learn how to do it yourself, or don't get all pissy when you have to wait your turn.
I've learned to pull and backstock myself anyway. Our backroom team lead is notoriously unresponsive for basically everything so if I need an item pulled for a guest I just get it myself. It's really not that hard and I've even showed other people how to do it

Eh...guests can wait in line for five minutes. Don't want to wait in line? Don't come in on Saturday afternoon.

Try telling this to your leadership team! Guest checkout speed is HUGE! It is one of the major company focuses at the moment.

Try telling this to your leadership team! Guest checkout speed is HUGE! It is one of the major company focuses at the moment.
The only way anyone above store leadership will see long lines is By visiting or online complaints. The cashier speed metric is only for individual transaction speeds. Retention is also a HUGE focus but we all see how much they're contributing to keeping that down.

And that's fine, but it shouldn't take away from other important aspects that keep a store running. That's a big reason why other areas of the store are in shambles: TMs spend half of their shift on backup.

Oh, but it should. Because the number one priority will always be servicing the guest when they need it, and that includes the check lanes. I was speaking with our GVP and he mentioned this in detail. It's something upper leadership and DTL's notice that's currently a major opportunity for stores. If TM's are spending half their shift on backup, there is a scheduling problem, they'll have to schedule shorter shifts and more cashiers to cover the heat. Or ETL's should help out once and a while (I do it often, even my STL).

Ya Right@#$% That is why hours were cut during back to school.

Every department, you can only do what you can with the payroll you're given. There are scheduling tactics that can be used to maximize scheduling effectiveness, that'll be an HR/GE issue.

Still fresh eh?

You can always pick out the new ones. You'll learn, eventually.

Not fresh, I've been in a leadership position for over a year and a few months, specifically salesfloor/ge, now transitioning into an ETL Log position. Trust me, when I was Salesfloor/GE, I ensured our backup was managed.

The only way anyone above store leadership will see long lines is By visiting or online complaints. The cashier speed metric is only for individual transaction speeds. Retention is also a HUGE focus but we all see how much they're contributing to keeping that down.

While I wasn't specifically pointing out that metric, it plays it's part in getting guests out the door quickly.

Some of the biggest focuses right now revolve around Checkout speed/Guest servicing, some major store deptarment revisions (specifically market/logistics), DC revisions, and a more intense focus on digital sales.

Oh, but it should. Because the number one priority will always be servicing the guest when they need it, and that includes the check lanes. I was speaking with our GVP and he mentioned this in detail. It's something upper leadership and DTL's notice that's currently a major opportunity for stores. If TM's are spending half their shift on backup, there is a scheduling problem, they'll have to schedule shorter shifts and more cashiers to cover the heat. Or ETL's should help out once and a while (I do it often, even my STL).

Every department, you can only do what you can with the payroll you're given. There are scheduling tactics that can be used to maximize scheduling effectiveness, that'll be an HR/GE issue.

When you have a continuous guest first at the front check lanes because there is not enough cashier staff scheduled because of hours being cut, this is a problem corporate has handed the stores. By creating this atmosphere for the guests and employees, you have created problems in the rest of the store. The responders are not able to do their work and the guests cannot get the help they need. Plus, the store looks like crap and the lines are long. Doesn't matter how fast I scan because of the amount of people in line just grows.

Not fresh, I've been in a leadership position for over a year and a few months, specifically salesfloor/ge, now transitioning into an ETL Log position. Trust me, when I was Salesfloor/GE, I ensured our backup was managed.

While I wasn't specifically pointing out that metric, it plays it's part in getting guests out the door quickly.

Some of the biggest focuses right now revolve around Checkout speed/Guest servicing, some major store deptarment revisions (specifically market/logistics), DC revisions, and a more intense focus on digital sales.

Be glad anyone responds to backup at all. ASANTS, and having one operator, one SL, no HL TMs and all the ETLs means the GSA is outta luck. I don't even bother calling for backup at SD anymore.

Lordy I hope I haven't jumped onboard a sinking ship.

I just started my 3rd year.

"I need assistance in guest service, seriously, my line is blocking the door." Ten minutes after the GSTL radioed the GSA to come over to which she responded "I'm covering so and sos meal, I'm the only one here, I can't leave."

We were calling cashiers to the front all day. The one Hardlines team member who is also trained in guest service? Refused to come up, either "on a break" or was "doing a priority job" whatever that means. :rolleyes:

But I work Electronics, so that's none of my business. -sips tea-
Yeah, we had an intern who was a training LOD at our store and she asked me to back up and our STL just told her Electronics TMs can't back up at the lanes unless there are two of us, which is rare. I hate backing up, it's nerve wracking for me. I feel stupid when I can't look up a produce code fast enough since there are 87 versions of certain things lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back