Archived I don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allow me to introduce myself I am the cart king. I've been with spot for a year in that year I've mastered Cart attending, cashiering, guest services, Starbucks and food Ave. I have a great understanding of self checkouts and the sales floor. I even know how to do a few things in the backroom. I'm trusted with covering GSA/gstl lunches and get asked to stay if the closing GSA/gstl calls out or has to leave. I've applied for the gsa position because my team lead says I'd excell in the role. Went through the interview and got shot down because my answers weren't up to par even tho when talking to my gstl she said my answers were better than her current groups. Next time I applied i was shot down because the etl GE said I wasn't a team player so I decided to ask some of my fellow teammates what they thought of me and everyone I asked said I was hard working and a role model for others. Talked to other team leaders for feed back on what my wins and opportunities were my two top wins are I'm excellent with guest service and I'm a team player and none could really name an opportunity that would keep me from advancing. In fact the new hltl had to get training as gstl so he knew how to run the front end in case of call outs or breaks and the etl partnered him with me. The sltl regularly covers the gstl breaks thought I was a gsa with how I handle guest. After being here a year and giving it my all I don't see any chance of advancement and I'm sick of being a yes man and working harder so my core responsibilities don't suffer so I can learn as much about the store as possible.

Unfortunately someone is lying to you.

It sounds like these people don't have the courage to tell you what you really need to do in order to develop into the role you desire.

Being a hard-worker doesn't necessarily translate to a leader. I'd talk to the ETL who turned you down claiming you were not a team player and ask what you should do to change that perception.

It sounds like these people don't have the courage to tell you what you really need to do in order to develop into the role you desire.

Being a hard-worker doesn't necessarily translate to a leader. I'd talk to the ETL who turned you down claiming you were not a team player and ask what you should do to change that perception.

It also might be worth applying at another store if one is close. Downside is you may not get the best recommendation.

Your second point was also really true, people saying "Oh you would be great at that position," doesn't always mean a whole lot, what are they going to say? "Nah, don't apply all you can do is carts."

Some here will tell you, the fact you got turned down is a blessing. GSA is a tough gig.

Whatever the reason is, don't let this make you worse. Getting shot down sucks and it can give people bad attitudes because they think they deserved something and didn't get it. If you still want to have even a chance at a promotion with this company, learn from this. When asking for feedback, don't approach it as "Why wasn't I promoted?" Try asking "How can I improve myself to have a better shot at it next time?" Stay positive. Everyone will remember your reaction to this when you try again.

From a former GSA, I agree getting shot down was a blessing. You seem like you have great freedom on the front end without having added responsibilities of GSA/GSTL shoved at you.

Honestly, it gets tiring, "Let's get 15 RedCards even though were at 2!", "We have 15 tubs of candy from the truck. Even though you're closing on a weekend, we need it done.", "The morning GSA didn't finish One Spot, can you finish up the 12 repacks and whatever is left from the truck?" I was lucky to have more than 2 closers on weekends... :confused:

My theory is you keep getting rejected because you are excellent at what you do. It might be more hassle to find someone half as awesome as you are to replace you if you become a permanent GSA. I would keep just doing what you do, don't take any rejection too personal. Keep up the good work! :cool:

I average 10 redcards per 100 transactions and have around 500 RC YTD. When I asked for feed back I went to the TLs and etls I don't see eye to eye with as well as the straight shooters. The etl ap and etl log both gstls the hltl, sltl, the srbrtl and roughly 80% of the team want me moved up and honestly feel I'd do great in position I even reached out to a etl GE at another Target met them when they were covering lod and they approached me and said they see my determination and I should try to move up

To me that means I'm on register way to much
To me, that means you get 1 out of every 8 people (who don't have a redcard already) to sign up, if you take out the approximately 20% of guests who have them, and you get 10 redcards every 100 transactions. The best of the best cashiers get 1 every 100 transactions, but you're doing 10x that.

So if you have an 8 hour cashier shift, you might get somewhere around 30 redcards in that shift alone. You can get the whole store's weekly goal in 1-4 shifts, depending on the store. My store has ~1300 redcards YTD, but you have 500 and you don't even cashier very much.

If any of this is even close to being true, then they wouldn't promote you because you're too good at your job. But there's no way that it's true unless you're giving massive discounts to each guest, which means you should be terminated, not promoted.

My store believes in not scheduling cashiers or sales floor only backroom and flow so I'm called in for backup multiple times a day and there are times where I'll get 3 rows of carts out of 5 then be on register until we are down to 10 carts. I heard a rumor that the stl doesn't want to promote me because he doesn't want to train a replacement. This is coming from a former gstl who retired after 20 years with spot

Being a hard-worker doesn't necessarily translate to a leader. I'd talk to the ETL who turned you down claiming you were not a team player and ask what you should do to change that perception.[/QUOTE

I'd look into stores close by and keep doing what you're doing until i actually get the promotion. Also try and "prep" for interviews with a trusted tl or etl as they should want you to excel as well

And I'm doing that as well as applying elsewhere a former hltl who was fired because he was too friendly to the team. Works across the street as an assistant manager and I bumped into him and he told me the hiring manager and store manager asked about me and that I should definitely apply

We often tell nice things to people who want to be promoted and are reliable, hardworking, etc.

But that doesn't mean we will promote them. It means we know the STL has said "not a chance in hell" but they always come in when needed, do as asked, work hard, stay when we need it, etc. so they would be a loss.

You have to judge the reaction. If they actively start working with you to develop you, then you're good. If they keep saying they will try to help you out and work with you but nothing comes of it, you're in the Target version of the friend zone.

Well guess I'm in the friend zone hopefully something comes up so I can be gone before hours drop in a couple months

I average 10 redcards per 100 transactions and have around 500 RC YTD. When I asked for feed back I went to the TLs and etls I don't see eye to eye with as well as the straight shooters. The etl ap and etl log both gstls the hltl, sltl, the srbrtl and roughly 80% of the team want me moved up and honestly feel I'd do great in position I even reached out to a etl GE at another Target met them when they were covering lod and they approached me and said they see my determination and I should try to move up

You get red cards on 10% of your transactions? No BS?

Well guess I'm in the friend zone hopefully something comes up so I can be gone before hours drop in a couple months
And like the friend zone you're not entitled to something just because you're nice or in this case a hard worker.

Tbh all I see from you is bUT IM A HARD WORKER I DESERVE THIS despite valid reasons everyone is giving so you strike me as that guy who expects the girl to bang him just because he was nice.

You get red cards on 10% of your transactions? No BS?
No bs I get them all the time. Some of them are dumb luck like I'm on GS and they just come up to me most are by asking guest.

And like the friend zone you're not entitled to something just because you're nice or in this case a hard worker.

Tbh all I see from you is bUT IM A HARD WORKER I DESERVE THIS despite valid reasons everyone is giving so you strike me as that guy who expects the girl to bang him just because he was nice.
I guess my mind works how the real world is where you don't have someone cover the breaks if you're not trying to see if they are capable. I seek advice from the gstls about what they like to see me improve on and have multiple times been called in to cover the GSA/gstl who has called out. If I need supervisor overrides or money I partner with the fatl, sbtl, or lod depending on who has keys. Both gstls have told me they support me in a gsa role because I do take the feed back given to me and run with it. All I can do in my current role is listen to feed back and apply it as needed. If I'm coming off as you say that I have the I work hard so I deserve it it's not how I ment to come off.

I'm sure others on here would agree as well and I too have been told, in order to get the promotion, you have to be "aggressive" in regards to development. Pull those GSTL's, TL's and ETL's aside. Hound them in preparing you for your interview. Work just as hard on your promotion as you get "Red Cards" They then will have no choice but to "crown" you. It all depends on how much you really want it. And still check other stores as well if your own store won't "bite"

Self promotion.
You know what you can do, what your record for red cards is, etc. but there is a good chance the ETLs don't know you from Adam if you haven't stepped up.

The fact is you have sell yourself.
Yes, it looks a bit like brown nosing and in the wrong hands it can be, but if you are making sure that the people in charge know you are capable and ready to step up then you have a chance of moving up.
This means volunteering for whatever comes up, going above and beyond, in general being the guy they notice.

So update.
I've officially became a gsa last week. After the etl log came back from loa a month ago I asked him for help developing. I've always had a better relationship with him than the etl GE/SF. I also think they started to panic since we just lost both gstls and another gsa. The gsa got fired after he let a guest leave with $500+ in items after the power went out and the registers crashed he told the guest not to worry the payment had processed. The gstls got fired one for fraud return and the other for marking down an item to mere pennies then buying it for themselves. But I do want to thank everyone for their advice I've used this to reevaluate myself and goals.

Thank you the etl GE is freaking out about next Thursday and Friday. I've volunteered to work 530pm Thursday and work a 16 hours go home Friday around 930am work my scheduled close and then open that Saturday. The other gsa is a single parent and can't change their schedule due to it but we told both our etl and stl if they are willing to support us we can work doubles or one of us opens the other closes until a replacement can get up to speed. We do have some strong cashiers who could help lead only problem is they have limited availability. So when I open tomorrow I should have an answer to the proposal made to the stl. I will say this will be interesting as we have a lot of new in role TLs and have no training on GS, sco, guests issues or the countless other issues the front end deals with so the rest of 4th quarter will be very interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back