I hate my SD's new rules.

ADMIN POLL - Do you believe this story?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My store has a new SD after our last one quit without notice roughly a month ago. Me and this new SD actually have a good relationship. We quickly formed a solid camaraderie and he ended up being the one to give me that final push into being promoted to a GMTL. This promotion was something that I'd been wanting for for a while and I'm glad to be in the role, but my SD has set some new rules regarding how TL's interact with one another and I'm not the least bit happy about it.

Just a few days after I was officially promoted, my SD called a meeting for all leaders on duty. He basically told us that all of the TL's (not ETL's) were "living in a bubble" and that we were coming off as "an elitist club with no regard for TM's". He suddently starts laying out these new changes, one of which are that he's doing away with the room that serves as the TL offices. He says that the room is being turned into a second fixture room and that the TL's all have to start taking their breaks in the break room with the rest of the TM's.

What's more is that TL's aren't allowed to buy each other food anymore, nor are we allowed to purchase treats exclusively for TL's. We have a Style TL who'll bring in doughnuts every Friday and us TL's would sit in clerical eating our doughnuts. These doughnuts are exclusively for TL's, but our SD has told us that that's not happening anymore. Two TL's aren't allowed to pick up lunch for one another on their breaks and we're only allowed to bring in snacks and treats if it's enough to supply all TM's in the break room. I would occasionally go out to get Starbucks for me and some other leaders, but I'm apparently not allowed to do that anymore.

Our SD has gotten rid of the perks that I was most looking forward to as a TL in the first place. I hate having my breaks with the rest of the normie TM's and I think that us TL's should be allowed to treat ourselves given how much hard work that we have to put in. Is our SD actually allowed to be doing this? Is there some type of ethics violation going on here that our DD should know about?

Each SD is going to be different. I had an SD that refused to let us eat out of date bakery goods but other stores had them in the breakroom 🤷‍♀️ Sounds like your store had a holine call and being a new SD they needed to hold your peers accountable. Just follow the rules eventually they will get relaxed. I know my favorite part of a TL was when we ordered food for our meetings. It took my SD a long time to be that way.

Each SD is going to be different. I had an SD that refused to let us eat out of date bakery goods but other stores had them in the breakroom 🤷‍♀️ Sounds like your store had a holine call and being a new SD they needed to hold your peers accountable. Just follow the rules eventually they will get relaxed. I know my favorite part of a TL was when we ordered food for our meetings. It took my SD a long time to be that way.
But what could've possibly been said on the hotline call? We're not doing anything wrong.

Do your job to the best of your ability, interact when necessary and if the environment is uncomfortable, deal with it. Old donuts? Who gives a shit, you're not in middle school, it's work. Finish up then GTFO.

My store has a new SD after our last one quit without notice roughly a month ago. Me and this new SD actually have a good relationship. We quickly formed a solid camaraderie and he ended up being the one to give me that final push into being promoted to a GMTL. This promotion was something that I'd been wanting for for a while and I'm glad to be in the role, but my SD has set some new rules regarding how TL's interact with one another and I'm not the least bit happy about it.

Just a few days after I was officially promoted, my SD called a meeting for all leaders on duty. He basically told us that all of the TL's (not ETL's) were "living in a bubble" and that we were coming off as "an elitist club with no regard for TM's". He suddently starts laying out these new changes, one of which are that he's doing away with the room that serves as the TL offices. He says that the room is being turned into a second fixture room and that the TL's all have to start taking their breaks in the break room with the rest of the TM's.

What's more is that TL's aren't allowed to buy each other food anymore, nor are we allowed to purchase treats exclusively for TL's. We have a Style TL who'll bring in doughnuts every Friday and us TL's would sit in clerical eating our doughnuts. These doughnuts are exclusively for TL's, but our SD has told us that that's not happening anymore. Two TL's aren't allowed to pick up lunch for one another on their breaks and we're only allowed to bring in snacks and treats if it's enough to supply all TM's in the break room. I would occasionally go out to get Starbucks for me and some other leaders, but I'm apparently not allowed to do that anymore.

Our SD has gotten rid of the perks that I was most looking forward to as a TL in the first place. I hate having my breaks with the rest of the normie TM's and I think that us TL's should be allowed to treat ourselves given how much hard work that we have to put in. Is our SD actually allowed to be doing this? Is there some type of ethics violation going on here that our DD should know about?
What’s the problem with having breaks and lunches in the break room with team members? What makes you special? At my store team leads eat in the beak room with team members. The only one who doesn’t is SD.
as far team leads buying each other treats and meals I see no problem with it.

That's not the point. The point is that us TL's deal with a ton of crap everyday and we should be allowed to treat ourselves.

You want to be a good boss, buy donuts for your team.
They are the ones that make it possible for you to be a boss in the first place.
They are not, I repeat not "normie TMs".
You are not better than them nor do you work harder than they do.

By eating with them you are going to have a chance to find out what's going on with them and create a real team.
Getting to know your team and what makes them tick is what makes it possible for you to get the best possible work out of them.
Your current attitude will not.

Your new SD has the right idea and they are doing the right thing as a leader.
Keeping the mid-level managers from isolating themselves from the general staff is the best thing to do.
You are not special snowflakes.
Get out of the office and involved with your team.

CP, I can't believe you got the promotion and didn't come back to tell us.

I feel like I've missed an entire season of my favorite show.

Anyway, at our store as well as the one I trained at for TL we were told that everyone eats lunch in the break room. My ETL's, HR, and SD even eat lunches in the break room.

Why can you feel fine about partying with the "normies" (lol) but suddenly don't want to eat with them at work? What does this new SD think about all of the parties?

ETA: The last thread about off-the-clock events.

It sounds like the "normies" complained that the leaders in your store weren't doing anything. The perception was you TLs were always just hanging out while everyone else was working, it mat not be true but it was the perception.

Normally no one would care what you do on your lunch or if you buy stuff exclusively for TL, it happens at my store all of the time. But what was probably going on was you guys were taking extra breaks or taking too much time off the floor with this type of crap and people were pissed. I'm sure your SD was pissed and was passing on some of the blame on TM complaints. You shouldn't be clocking in for work and the first thing you are doing is eating a donut!

Technically your SD can't tell you what to do while you are off the clock, but if it is creating a bad culture in your store I would knock it off and be happy someone was willing to promote you. Given everything you have told us in this forum you are lucky to have a job.

With all that being said, I'm glad you are back to provide us with entertainment, please post more often we want to be apart of your journey you call life!

Back