Archived I hit a guest with a tub on accident--what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant tell you how many kids have ran out in front of me pushing a fully loaded vehicle...it's only a matter of time.

Did the guest file a complaint?

Are you under your ninety days?

Were you genuinely repentant?

Was the moon waxing, and was Jupiter in ascent?

You'll likely be fine. Perhaps end up with a coaching about safety at best, worst case go on final if the woman calls back and complains.

Breaks down tubs to reasonable levels though. For serious.

You're not supposed to push a vehicle you can't see over. They are probably going to take you out back and beat you senseless with REDcard pamphlets until you learn some common sense.

Or more likely, you'll be fine, and you'll start hearing leaders talk about safety at huddles.

You're not supposed to push a vehicle you can't see over. They are probably going to take you out back and beat you senseless with REDcard pamphlets until you learn some common sense.

Or more likely, you'll be fine, and you'll start hearing leaders talk about safety at huddles.
Tell that to the backroom tms who insist on repushing backstock back onto the narrow pull metros for coolers, especially if you have the iron grates welded on. It's like having to navigate a magic eye puzzle every time you work a pull.

I hit a kid running through the isle and ran smack into my tub, bloody nose screaming, screaming mother.. Accident report, statement and once the video was played - never heard another thing.. Kid had been running up and down several isles before I pulled up my tub..

If you didn't cause any damage and you and the backroom need a training on stacking tubs, you should be fine.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. All in all, things could have been much worse. Think of this as a reminder to always be prepared for the unexpected when it comes to Spot and guests.

Last edited:
you are fine, guest are dumb arses !! she should have heard and seen you coming !!

Our backroom stacks tubs and flats wayyyy too high all the time, too. I've had some close calls pushing those things around. Haven't hit anyone yet, though.

I was pulling a tub once because it was stacked too tall, had a LOD tell me I was supposed to be pushing it not pulling it, which I was aware of, but I just told them that pulling I can see where I am going, and pushing I might hit a guest, and that if he wants it to be pushed the proper person to tell off is the person that stacked it 7 foot tall.

He looked like he wanted to argue for a few seconds but then just shrugged and walked away.

I remember when an ETL coached me for pulling a meat cart... you know one of those metal ones with the handle that you... pull. I argued with her and then disregarded whatever she said.

Got with my LOD and had to fill an incident report out. The tub was stacked too high and I did not see her. She was completely fine, and even shopped after, but talked to the LOD on her way out. LOD just talked about safety, but didn't say anything else.

Am I basically screwed?

Stacked too high? It becomes your responsibility to take care of that before you wheel it out onto the sales floor.

I've had vendors complain to me about Target's push policy since evidently everywhere else they stock it's either pull (so you're the one the guest is running into) or "whatever works best". I keep telling them to complain to people who can actually make a difference in the policy but noooo.

And our backroom consistently stacks things too high but we don't always have the vehicles available to break it down. Depending on how busy (ie how crowded) the store is I'll make someone else spot me as I walk around or ...I sing when pushing around corners or near the aisles people barrel out of. It doesn't help hearing impaired people but my off tune singing is enough to catch people's attention and they will scoot out of my way or stop. It's a trick I picked up when I worked backstage at theatres--techies scurry around in near blackness all the time so we'd knock on the walls or whistle when coming around corners so we wouldn't run into each other. Obviously not an actual solution to the fact we should just be allowed to pull sometimes but...works as a bandaid.

Did the guest file a complaint?

Are you under your ninety days?

Were you genuinely repentant?

Was the moon waxing, and was Jupiter in ascent?

You'll likely be fine. Perhaps end up with a coaching about safety at best, worst case go on final if the woman calls back and complains.

Breaks down tubs to reasonable levels though. For serious.

Pretty much this. You most likely won't be fired since they didn't get hurt, but just coached on safety.

If they got seriously hurt, you could have been fired. Especially if the cause was you stacking the tub too high, and not the guest being negligent.

Got with my LOD and had to fill an incident report out. The tub was stacked too high and I did not see her. She was completely fine, and even shopped after, but talked to the LOD on her way out. LOD just talked about safety, but didn't say anything else.

Am I basically screwed?

Stacked too high? It becomes your responsibility to take care of that before you wheel it out onto the sales floor.
This. And speak to the TM who loaded the tub, or the logistics TL/ETL about the height of the stack. Whatever you have to take off the tub, try and restack it on another vehicle, or if you can't find one just leave it on the floor by the line (which should irritate the heck out of the BR team) and come back for it when your tub can accommodate it without breaking safety rules.

A team member at my store negligently plowed a metro into a pregnant woman. She complained to the LOD and he got out of trouble by crying about it. Since then he has hit me with a flat, hit another team member with a tub, and hit yet another pregnant team member with a tub as well and hasn't got into trouble.

A team member at my store negligently plowed a metro into a pregnant woman. She complained to the LOD and he got out of trouble by crying about it. Since then he has hit me with a flat, hit another team member with a tub, and hit yet another pregnant team member with a tub as well and hasn't got into trouble.
Wow, if that happens again, I'd definitely challenge the fact that they still work there. No excuse for hitting a pregnant woman not once but TWICE.....

that's taking the "Fast Fun and Deadly" to a whole new level !!

Am I basically screwed?
You might be fine with Target. The lady could sue you in Civil court though.

Am I basically screwed?
You might be fine with Target. The lady could sue you in Civil court though.
Actually no. They would have to sue Target since he was on the clock and working for Target Corporation.

You don't have personal liability while you're on the clock, now if he was Off The Clock and ran his cart into her, then yes she could sue him in civil court.

Does it change things if I'm an etl...replenishment--the hypocrisy I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back