I just got COMPLETELY screwed over by HR and my store. Holy crap. I think I'm gonna lose it

When I wrote the schedule and someone requested time off, unless it was during blackout dates, they got it. I always thought of that “request” as notification that they would not be available to work that day, because essentially that’s what it is. Made life easier for everyone. The team was happy because work/life balance wasn’t just a term in the Spot handbook, and we had fewer calloffs leaving us short-handed. And *gasp*, if I forgot or made a mistake on someone’s schedule, it was my responsibility get that shift covered, not theirs. Trying to run a business even more short-handed than usual because someone called off when when that shift could have been covered is more a lot difficult than accommodating a request for time off when writing the schedule.

Yeaaaah, that's not how it works. As my MIL always says, it's their shoe store. In other words, they call the shots. You work for them, not the other way around.

When you put time off requests into the system, it clearly states that there is no guarantee your request will be approved. Of course, reasonable companies will honor most time off requests and work with their employees, but they are under no obligation to do so.
Then what's the point in offering paid time off as a benefit? If you can't use it when you need it, what's the point?

Yes but if everyone told them to figure it out, they would just start managing the schedule on their own, like they should.
How does that help me or any other team member out of a job for telling them to figure it out. I need my job it’s not a risk I’m willing to take telling them figure it out. Luckily I’ve got etl who approves my requests.

Yeaaaah, that's not how it works. As my MIL always says, it's their shoe store. In other words, they call the shots. You work for them, not the other way around.

When you put time off requests into the system, it clearly states that there is no guarantee your request will be approved. Of course, reasonable companies will honor most time off requests and work with their employees, but they are under no obligation to do so.

Don't offer paid time off as a benefit. When that is offered that is money sitting on the table and guess what you are going to fucking pay me for what I fucking earned. You don't want to pay it in cash then you are going to pay my ass to sit at home. They do have an obligation to approve or deny, letting everything go to auto deny is a cop out and a flat out refusal to do their damn job. And with how they tell us we are sooooo replaceable, what is the big deal if I dip out for a month? I am not in anyway important to your store..

We, as ETLs, are responsible for approving or denying requests. Also, I don’t see a reason to deny 99.99% of the time. Auto deny is not the TMs fault. You should not be help accountable to those shifts. Try to get them covered and call out for each shift, just to avoid ncns. BS and sorry you have to deal with that.

With the current labor shortage you can easily find a job that pays better and move on. :Let them waste the time and money on replacing a seasoned employee because they could not just do the right thing. It is a workers market do enjoy it while you can.

We, as ETLs, are responsible for approving or denying requests. Also, I don’t see a reason to deny 99.99% of the time. Auto deny is not the TMs fault. You should not be help accountable to those shifts. Try to get them covered and call out for each shift, just to avoid ncns. BS and sorry you have to deal with that.
Your correct but, team members are responsible for making sure time off requests are approved. You can’t plan a vacation and assume because you put in the request it was approved. Team member should have checked prior to schedule being made that request was approved.

I always say to my team members that ultimately it's their responsibility to see that their time off is approved. Yes, the ETL doing the schedule has some onus on making sure they are checking time off requests, but alas, not always the case. I was a TL (when I did the schedule and had access to this, anyway) checked the Time Off requests on the daily, and I also had a calendar on my wall WITH everyone's time off so I knew what I was working with. I'm a little extra that way. For my own time off (and even punch corrections/vacation pay requests) I hounded my ETLs (and now SD) about any vacation requests until I saw that they were approved.

Back