Archived I remember when i was excited to work, excited to say yes to phone calls to come into work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now i fucking hate it. Working two days a week to keep my insurance, but every shift i work i bust my butt off and get nothing but shit.

I think - i'm done with pursuing ETL-AP after college.
I strongly doubt they'll even give me ETL if there's a opening in my district and if i have a four year.

Throughout this year, i have signed myself up for three different programs. Personal Trainer, Real Estate Agent and this week i will be signing myself up to become a Firefighter.

Last edited:
Throughout this year, i have signed myself up for three different programs. Personal Trainer, Real Estate Agent and this week i will be signing myself up to become a Firefighter.

While there is nothing wrong with having multiple interest and changing your mind you are kind of all over the place with what you want to do.

Take my advice don't be the jack of all trades and master of none and end up not getting any of those jobs. Set a realistic goal and go get it.

We have a tm at my old store who would talk about how he was going to get his master's and leave, or go to the police academy and leave or get into the stem field and leave and a year later he was still our cart attendant.

Last edited:
Fuck yea! CA RAWKS!!!
dude.gif

They speak truth. Try to master one area rather than dabble in others.

However, I totally support the firefighter route. If it doesn't work out, look for a volunteer fire company and still work a regular job if you're that interested.

That's true - I've heard multiple times people were going to quit. I still do, but I've actually signed myself up.

I've paid for a personal training course, paid for real estate course & finished and waiting to take test in late June. And I will be signing up myself up for the firefighter test within the week. Not sure what I want to do- but if I can successfully complete them all I'll be happy.

you start to kind of lose steam the more you work there so i completely understand. it sucks.

I remember the Beatles on my little 45 rpm record player.

Tiny 'lil suitcase-looking thing.

Worst case scenario, shoot for APTL. If you land APTL in a TPS store you'll have a great time.

Now i fucking hate it. Working two days a week to keep my insurance, but every shift i work i bust my butt off and get nothing but shit.

...I know this is totally off topic, but how are you keeping your insurance if you're only working 2 days a week?!? Insurance is 90% of the reason I'm still at Target, and I've been going through a pretty rough patch and have wanted to significantly cut back on my hours, but I'm too afraid to do it due to fear of losing insurance (or having my position taken over by someone who can work more and then I'll never get scheduled enough to still qualify for benefits)

Or is this a super short-term solution for you? Like, were you averaging 40hrs a week and now you're only working 2 days a week, fully knowing that your average will drop below benefit level, but that that'll take a while to happen so you're okay with it??

You might get it back. We all experience some burnout. Take a mental health day if possible. I recommend a good quality orange sherbet. :D

Worst case scenario, shoot for APTL. If you land APTL in a TPS store you'll have a great time.
I could try that. Maybe... I'd probably enjoy it the same, just depending on who I work with. The APS and ETL-AP I both worked with wanted me on the team as a TPS but I passed.

...I know this is totally off topic, but how are you keeping your insurance if you're only working 2 days a week?!? Insurance is 90% of the reason I'm still at Target, and I've been going through a pretty rough patch and have wanted to significantly cut back on my hours, but I'm too afraid to do it due to fear of losing insurance (or having my position taken over by someone who can work more and then I'll never get scheduled enough to still qualify for benefits)

Or is this a super short-term solution for you? Like, were you averaging 40hrs a week and now you're only working 2 days a week, fully knowing that your average will drop below benefit level, but that that'll take a while to happen so you're okay with it??

I make enough hourly to cover my insurance (health and Dental). I used to do one day a week (so two pay periods) and they were always closing shifts, Saturdays. They usually were 8-10 hour shifts.

I don't know how much hours i used to average, but i know it wasn't 40... I didn't really think about the future, until you said that actually. I'm okay with it for now - because after the last couple months of Target, and my ideas for my future i'll want to move on.

You might get it back. We all experience some burnout. Take a mental health day if possible. I recommend a good quality orange sherbet. :D

I took like two weeks off - plus i switched my availability because i felt like i was going to insane (not literally). Didn't work.

I actually did the exact same thing op is doing. I averaged 40 hours, and then switched to part time after getting insurance and another job.

Your insurance will last all the way until you leave Target or the next enrollment period. Whichever is first.

I took several 2-5weeks off during that stint, and insurance remained active. When returning from those stints, I had to back pay all insurance fees. Not a bad deal, but my check had been 0 many times.

All in all, it was nice. You earn the right for insurance, take all you can get.

Firefighting is a very admirable career. I started a volunteer fire academy a few years back but didn't get to finish because of school. It's one of those things where you need to be super invested to get through the academy. I don't know what the ETL-AP situation is like in your area, but if you think you might enjoy that line of work, have you considered law enforcement? Security is a great gateway to the profession. I know that's what I plan to do on at least a volunteer basis on my free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back