I think im finally ready to quit without another job lined up

hello,
im a beauty team member and Ive been working at target for 8 months and i think ive had enough. My department is really stressful and im constantly under pressure to complete push and there is a time limit in my store. Every push has to be completed by 5pm and thats also stressful because often times im the only one completing maybe 2-3 flow carts on my own. I also sometimes only get 30 minutes to complete push which they think is very reasonable. My last straw was that when I told my beauty manager that beauty gave me a lot of stress and i would like to change departments. She responded with, "I dont understand why beauty gives you so much stress?" and when i said, "its stressful to complete the push within the time limit sometimes" and she replied with, "oh so you cant do retail because every department has a time limit?" and when i said, "i would like to be at the front end as a cashier", she freaking replied with, "oh but you have to deal with customers, thats not stressful?" she just refused to understand and she isnt allowing me to change departments either. I literally dread coming to work because there is so much to do sometimes and i feel like im under-appreciated and its been 8 months but, i still feel like im struggling a lot and I am tired of it. I have no energy to persevere, but I don't know if I am being unreasonable or dramatic? I also dont have another job lined up but just applying to jobs i guess. Do other people here have similar experiences?
Thank you for taking the time read this.

Last edited:
So much depends on having a good TL and it sounds like yours isn't one of them. I've quit jobs before without having something else lined up, but I think it's wise to think it through first. Will your living situation be okay while you look for another job? In my area, a lot of employers can't find enough workers - what about your area?
Having a part-time job like at Target or working weekends and having some week days free means you can interview for other jobs before you leave. It might be good to at least have a couple of interviews scheduled or completed - you may even land one of those jobs before you give notice.
There's nothing like the relief of knowing you don't have to keep going to a job you've come to dread.

hello,
im a beauty team member and Ive been working at target for 8 months and i think ive had enough. My department is really stressful and im constantly under pressure to complete push and there is a time limit in my store. Every push has to be completed by 5pm and thats also stressful because often times im the only one completing maybe 2-3 flow carts on my own. I also sometimes only get 30 minutes to complete push which they think is very reasonable. My last straw was that when I told my beauty manager that beauty gave me a lot of stress and i would like to change departments. She responded with, "I dont understand why beauty gives you so much stress?" and when i said, "its stressful to complete the push within the time limit sometimes" and she replied with, "oh so you cant do retail because every department has a time limit?" and when i said, "i would like to be at the front end as a cashier", she freaking replied with, "oh but you have to deal with customers, thats not stressful?" she just refused to understand and she isnt allowing me to change departments either. I literally dread coming to work because there is so much to do sometimes and i feel like im under-appreciated and its been 8 months but, i still feel like im struggling a lot and I am tired of it. I have no energy to persevere, but I don't know if I am being unreasonable or dramatic? I also dont have another job lined up but just applying to jobs i guess. Do other people here have similar experiences?
Thank you for taking the time read this.
Your beauty manager has no say. You’re talking to the wrong person. Go to your etl and/or etl hr.

If seems like you don't need them so definitely leave.This place sucks and the stress is not worth it. There's plenty of places to work at. You could do doordash or uber until the next job comes along. There's also Shipt although if you hate Tarshit I don't know if you would like it. We're you close to anybody that quit and got a new job? You could ask them if their company is hiring and see if they could get a job there knowing people at the company is how people get jobs. A lot of people end up merchandising try that if you aren't scared for life by this place. Apply to your post office or mail room jobs. Good luck to ya and I hope you find job asap!!!!

I guess it matters whether you are planning to stay in retail or not.

If so I would line up another retail job first if that isn't the case just quit and do Uber, Door Dash, etc. in the meantime.

That being said I would also resign through Workday and STATE THE REASON and KEEP COPIES.

Otherwise if you just quit and give a note to the TL then Target might state you stopped coming to work and/or fired you.

It's possible that someone might call Target to verify you work there but Target would just tell them the dates you were there.

Good luck.

My 2 cents has always been if you are at the point you are willing to quit then just keep working without any care. Just do what you can and get paid for it and dont sweat the details. Not like any future job is reliant on a written recommendation from a part time retail store anyway.

My 2 cents has always been if you are at the point you are willing to quit then just keep working without any care. Just do what you can and get paid for it and dont sweat the details. Not like any future job is reliant on a written recommendation from a part time retail store anyway.
Well I ll raise this 2 cents for sure and say when working for this company, never ever sweat to complete a workload that's enough for 2-3 people. Target already has a sweat shop mentality. Clock in, work, clock out. Go have a life.

Back