Archived I was fired...here's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. I asked them why they didn't tell me not to do it and they said it didn't matter. I didn't overhear the gay marriage talk, 2 coworkers did. I've never even had a coaching or write up.

You could speak to the hotline about it. Target can only fire you immediately in a very small amount of circumstances. Even using your own cartwheel for friends is not an offense at all because everyone has access to cartwheel and its all the same offers.

Pretty sure something is missing here.

They wouldn't garnish your paychecks for savings on cartwheel.

I mean, ASANTS but I'm sure some stores probably encourage you to show off Cartwheel. Why else would it be on the MyDevice?

I tried to talk to a lawyer. They said that Tennessee was a right - to - work state and there wasn't anything they could do. It was a big mess.

Why right-to-work is bad: Exhibit A right here

I mean, ASANTS but I'm sure some stores probably encourage you to show off Cartwheel. Why else would it be on the MyDevice?

Why right-to-work is bad: Exhibit A right here

Right to work state AND there are no federal protections against LBGT discrimination in federal laws, with th exception of federal contractors. (Citation: Sexual Orientation Discrimination: Your Rights | Nolo.com). Although Target DOES have statements that prohibit sexual orientation discrimination, you would only get them on breach of contract IF you can prove discrimination, pattern of discrimination, and can prove that you made reasonable attempts at reporting it to the employer prior.

The coworkers were probably fired for other reasons.

If you really want to 'get' Target, report to the EEOC commission. Again, you'll have a hard time because, and I say this as a gay man, Target is one of the more progressive companies in terms of LGBT acceptance in the workplace... At least on paper

Before I conclude the possibility of discri nation, I would ask;
1) how did the supervisors know you (and coworkers) were gay?
2) did they make any remarks or nasty statements prior?
3) did they engage in any discriminating behavior before?

I don't believe it. You're leaving out details. While I am not familiar with AP, the fact they had an investigator there would point you did something major.

I feel like others do there is something missing here. You don't get termed on an internal case willy nilly and they can't fire you for using only cartwheel for others.

I don't believe it. You're leaving out details. While I am not familiar with AP, the fact they had an investigator there would point you did something major.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody picked up on that. The only reason they would have an investigator is if they suspected or had proof of theft, like if you were stealing giftcards. I suppose they may have had him for the cartwheel usage, but I highly doubt it.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody picked up on that. The only reason they would have an investigator is if they suspected or had proof of theft, like if you were stealing giftcards. I suppose they may have had him for the cartwheel usage, but I highly doubt it.

When I was a GE-intern we ENCOURAGED people to share cartwheel with guests, especially since my store had a lot of elderly guests without smartphones.

When I was a GE-intern we ENCOURAGED people to share cartwheel with guests, especially since my store had a lot of elderly guests without smartphones.

ASANTS I suppose. I don't see a problem with using our smartphones or myDevices to use Cartwheel for the guests, but our DTL told our ETL-GE not to let us do that.

ASANTS I suppose. I don't see a problem with using our smartphones or myDevices to use Cartwheel for the guests, but our DTL told our ETL-GE not to let us do that.

This was in 2013, so that could have changed lol. Back when it was first becoming a really big thing.

Look guys, I am telling you exactly what I went through and I don't know how much I have to say it. I can't make up stuff just to make the story more believable. The investigator said they were there because I had been using cartwheel to give discounts to friends. These friends were coworkers that used to work in that store. That was what they had the problem with, even though I have treated every guest the same. The way they knew I was gay was because I've been with the same guy for over 5 years and even asked off for the wedding last year. Again, I'm not leaving any details out. Just wanted to share my experience with this company

I probably shouldn't have checked out anyone I was friends with but I didn't think it was a big deal because I wasn't doing anything wrong.

I've seen our LODs (including our STL) use their personal phones for guests & i've used mine as well when a guest couldn't connect to the wifi to add offers. There's definitely something more than just the cartwheel that someone left out....I wonder if they thought you were also giving them your employee discount??? Can they actually track the cartwheel discount???

They can pull every transaction you used your cartwheel for if they were trying to build a case.
If they were worried that you were using your TM discount for them, it wouldn't fly because 1) if you've logged in on a register under your TM#, the register will NOT accept your TM discount on ANY transaction & 2) if you were using someone else's speed slip, your TM discount would show up in your friends' trans.

They can pull every transaction you used your cartwheel for if they were trying to build a case.
If they were worried that you were using your TM discount for them, it wouldn't fly because 1) if you've logged in on a register under your TM#, the register will NOT accept your TM discount on ANY transaction & 2) if you were using someone else's speed slip, your TM discount would show up in your friends' trans.
But if they were using cash, a name wouldn't be associated with it under scenario #2, which is what I was thinking....I know you can't use your TM # if you're logged in

TM discount shows up in any trans it's used regardless of whether they used cash, red card, target debit, check. When you pull up the EJ (electronic journal) it shows the TM # the trans was rang under (AP can look at the vid to confirm if it was the right TM or someone using another TM's #), it shows coupons applied (including cartwheel) & it shows if a TM discount was used (& whose it was).

Working in AP myself, I can personally say that this story just does not add up. The amount of info we can get from a transaction is crazy, but the amount of info the investigators get is borderline scary. Something is left out here. Are you positive it was cartwheel and only cartwheel you were using? Because if so, they would have known that. You using a TM discount is clearer than night and day, and will not be mistaken for cartwheel. Just my professional opinion.

TM discount shows up in any trans it's used regardless of whether they used cash, red card, target debit, check. When you pull up the EJ (electronic journal) it shows the TM # the trans was rang under (AP can look at the vid to confirm if it was the right TM or someone using another TM's #), it shows coupons applied (including cartwheel) & it shows if a TM discount was used (& whose it was).
Right, I just meant it wouldn't show up as TM Joe Schmo but CC Jane Doe ;)

Ah, got it.
Yeh, a cash trans won't have a name attached unless a TM disc was used. Even then, it just shows the TM# but that can be looked up on POS as well.
As @garbage said, AP can pull up every detail of a trans & put surveillance video with it.
Having an investigator ready & waiting seems like overkill unless it was meant to intimidate you.

Ah, got it.
Yeh, a cash trans won't have a name attached unless a TM disc was used. Even then, it just shows the TM# but that can be looked up on POS as well.
As @garbage said, AP can pull up every detail of a trans & put surveillance video with it.
Having an investigator ready & waiting seems like overkill unless it was meant to intimidate you.
One of our TMs was busted for "sharing" his TM discount with friends. He was using someone else's speed code to login & they had his TM# associated with 12 different names/red cards. Of course, he was stupidly signing them up for red cards too & trying to take credit, which is probably how he got caught, since none of them were actually under HIS login.

Well if we take the OP at his word and they decided that he was going out of his way to give legitimate discounts to only his friends how would that play.
Lets say you found out that there was a deep discount on bags of chicken and that with cartwheel they came out to almost nothing, so you called all your friends to come buy the chicken.
Then you found out about a game, and then other items.
If they noticed that you were hitting items hard and had friends coming in to buy them and you were making sure they got the discounts...
None of that would look like it was against the rules but I suspect they can make it against the rules.

When there was a cartwheel 25% off Starbucks tumblers after the holidays, we'd mention it whenever someone was buying one. They'd go back & grab 3 more & use their cartwheel. Several baristas had it loaded on their smartphones so whenever someone wasn't on cartwheel, they'd demo it by letting them use it on their purchase.
Nearly everyone we demo'd to signed up for cartwheel & we cleared out a LOT of post-holiday clearance.
My STL said it was a win-win & a great way to drive sales.

I am sorry but something isn't adding up here...... I know people help guests use cartwheel all the time at the service desk if their phone isn't charged or something they simply don't have cartwheel ( all about vibe!) so suddenly you got fired over cartwheel?? Something just isn't adding up...... They wanted you fired and made some sort of lame excuse ( let's toss out they used cartwheel excessively) and boom you are fired. I mean they could of fired you over using your phone at the register because it really isn't supposed to be on the floor but again like they do at guest service you do have to vibe so.....I say something isn't adding up and they just wanted you fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back