Archived ICQA Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hal

Anyone else here hear about an ICQA position opening up in their warehouse? The way they made it sound, it seemed like a position created specially for our building working under the quality OM. I put in for it but I'm wondering what other people have heard about it if they have at all.

Have heard nothing at our dc. The quality om position is newish here so probably won’t be for a little bit.

Congrats, how do you like it? Sounds like something I’d go for if it ever rolls out in my building.

Anyone else here hear about an ICQA position opening up in their warehouse? The way they made it sound, it seemed like a position created specially for our building working under the quality OM. I put in for it but I'm wondering what other people have heard about it if they have at all.
I heard the pay is tier 2. Does it start at what you made as a warehouse worker or a little less?

They're just about to roll it out at my building, with the interviews for the positions starting soon. Going for ~5 ICQA TMs/key. It's a merit position with a similar scale to that of the IM clericals. So where I'm at, that works out to about a start pay in the low 20's/hr with a max top-out somewhere in the low-mid 30/hr range. The duties are pretty much the same as regular QI TMs now, just under their own OM and a merit-pay scale banner.

Congrats, how do you like it? Sounds like something I’d go for if it ever rolls out in my building.

It's bad, for the time being the vast majority of what I do is location audits, fixing hold locations, and dealing with problem freight, i.e vcp/ssp issues, barcode issues, DPCI errors, etc. We're also responsible for researching put/pull, recieving and adjustment errors and providing feedback. Once we ramp up we're going to be watching processes in other departments and trying to figure out why we keep getting repeat errors and implementing solutions. So basically IMs and IMS is suppose to be reactive and we're suppose to take a proactive role when it comes to quality. But we'll see how that goes. Depending on your shift you also generally don't have an OM in the building, and my boss is fairly hands-off, so we got a lot of latitude it we do throughout the night. Also there's no mandatory overtime, or production quotas, and if you want overtime you can still sign up in any of the departments you were trained in.

I heard the pay is tier 2. Does it start at what you made as a warehouse worker or a little less?

I went out making the same as what I was, which is fortunate because I'm capped because depending on the I wouldn't have gone out for pay cut.

They're just about to roll it out at my building, with the interviews for the positions starting soon. Going for ~5 ICQA TMs/key. It's a merit position with a similar scale to that of the IM clericals. So where I'm at, that works out to about a start pay in the low 20's/hr with a max top-out somewhere in the low-mid 30/hr range. The duties are pretty much the same as regular QI TMs now, just under their own OM and a merit-pay scale banner.

Our goal is to have 5 per key, but they'll probably do what they did to us and start at 3 per key, with the plan to add a new spot on each key every year depending on how this goes. Our pay scale is a bit higher than the other merit positions excluding TSS because unlike most of the other positions we still use equipment, but I'll be honest I have no idea what our max is, but talking to the other merit positions the average raise is usually about 3%, and I'll take a 3 percent raise every year over the chance of getting no raise and a simple bonus half of which is lost to taxes.

Hmm... sounds like something I may actually like.
You said no mandatory but what if the building is in max OT? I would assume they’d want people there during the extended shifts.

My understanding of it is, that as a merit TM, you are incapable of OT or flexing. Just like TSS or a clerical, you have a fixed schedule, and can't be told to go onto production. However, I'm guessing this means that can do shift swaps like TSS sometimes does.

I know that’s the general rule, but last fall our clericals and TSS worked OT. They didn’t want to pull people from prod functions to fill in for them so they were given the option to pick up extra shifts to cover, stay late, come in early, etc.

We didn't mandate any of our merit positions for fall season. Even mechanics weren't on mandatory, which was awful because when everyone is on mandatory 60s for months on end the last thing you want is everyone waiting hours for a mechanic to show up. There was plenty of voluntary for them. So the overtime was there but none of them were forced to work it.

Does this basically replace the quality roles that are already in use? Or is it in addition to those roles?

Yeah so it will be replacing the IMS function among other duties.

Eh, not quite replacing the IMs, more like supplementing them. The idea is ICQA is proactive to situations, whilst the IM is reactive. But the current QI roles (and likely many of the QI TMs) will be absorbed into ICQA.

Sorry. Not IM. I.M.S. That might be a unique position in our warehouse. Its this weird middle ground that's not quite IM. They mostly process ISI's and strays and fixing locations and defects.

Someone from HR called me since I am on my 2 week leave for a new baby, telling me they are opening applications for the ICQA postions at my building. Not sure if I want to apply or not, I sort of enjoy the variety of doing a couple different roles each week. Seems like doing the current quality IM role everyday would get a bit boring unless more job responsibilities are added.

That’s how I feel about it too, variety is good for sanity. Target loves to add job responsibilities as they go though...

You haven’t had a raise in 10 years? Holy hell
Not a fan of not being able to do OT in a prod function, I like OT checks...

We've been getting OT. Actually we're the only department that's currently getting OT. Either A) to cover vacations or B) we can just have 1 extra day a week.

We were getting operational OT but then they started all the other ICQA teams across the pyramid and HR said no more. But that's fine. For me operational OT meant doing specialties I didn't particularly enjoy.

They didn’t train back-ups at the same time as you to cover vacations? Sounded like that’s what they were going to be doing at the info meeting.
My biggest issue is the money I’d lose from OT, but even if there was some OT and a pay bump to make up for the rest then that would work itself out.

First post!!!
Is it against the rules to post your DC number?

We started rolling out ICQA last week on our B1 shift and B2 this week. Most of what's been discussed here holds true with us.
Our WH dept. already had a 2-3 person dedicated QI staff, separate from IM. They processed NILs, rework, holds report, Multi-slot Report, some label control and research, as well as a carton re-homing process we cooked up.

So far ICQA will continue to do all of that but is going to add bin-audits, dock (inbound) pallet audits, and will lose some of the active (current pick) label management.

We had 50 total applications with 5 chosen for each shift, plus one backup per shift, who can fill in when necessary. On our shift three from Warehouse were chosen (all previous QI), one from IB (ART + trainer), and one from OB, who was on a different key. All four teams are managed by one ICQA OM, and will report to the WH OM when he is absent. Their leader is very smart and we all have high hopes for these guys. Really everyone chosen for this department seem to be top of their class, go getter types.

It is too soon to tell how well this new department will work, but if these guys get into the kind of work they are aiming for we I think we can expect to see some much needed accountability around our numerous quality issues.

Sounds just like target, make people think there's going to be advancement but just put more work on them so management can add another 3 huddles to the day. These positions are basically what an OM should be doing on a daily basis to begin with.

First post!!!
Is it against the rules to post your DC number?

We started rolling out ICQA last week on our B1 shift and B2 this week. Most of what's been discussed here holds true with us.
Our WH dept. already had a 2-3 person dedicated QI staff, separate from IM. They processed NILs, rework, holds report, Multi-slot Report, some label control and research, as well as a carton re-homing process we cooked up.

So far ICQA will continue to do all of that but is going to add bin-audits, dock (inbound) pallet audits, and will lose some of the active (current pick) label management.

We had 50 total applications with 5 chosen for each shift, plus one backup per shift, who can fill in when necessary. On our shift three from Warehouse were chosen (all previous QI), one from IB (ART + trainer), and one from OB, who was on a different key. All four teams are managed by one ICQA OM, and will report to the WH OM when he is absent. Their leader is very smart and we all have high hopes for these guys. Really everyone chosen for this department seem to be top of their class, go getter types.

It is too soon to tell how well this new department will work, but if these guys get into the kind of work they are aiming for we I think we can expect to see some much needed accountability around our numerous quality issues.
Please dont post your dc number. We are not official spot site. We would like any details about your DC in general terms.
Welcome!

Sounds just like target, make people think there's going to be advancement but just put more work on them so management can add another 3 huddles to the day. These positions are basically what an OM should be doing on a daily basis to begin with.
Cant say I agree. Not sure how or why an OM would process NILs, location holds, Multi-Slotted locations or any of the other day-to-day quality related issues. 10 dedicated staff per day will be working on these things and more, such is the size of the problems we are facing. For instance on an average day we are seeing between 400-1200 purging labels (verified not diverted/built, printed not pulled). Ideally every one of those labels would need to be researched, item pulled, and the location adjusted. You can imagine the time it would take to tackle a task like that every single day.
Getting to the root cause will eventually be the priority and accountability, which to your point is something the current OMs are not very good at, will be the key.

Last edited:
5 per shift? Whoa, either your DC has a ton of people, or mine is piling on the work lol we have less then 10 ICQA team members total.
Ya we were told 10 at our dc as well. 3 first shit and 2 second/third. When they said that shift placement was to be based on seniority I was out. I’d only do b1

Our building is unique in that we are a receive center as well. So we actually have two ICQA teams. One on RC side one on WHS side with the eventual goal of merging them. So that'd put us at 5 on day shift 4 on night shift. We do have backups but originally we were promised operational OT and then they decided to put an ICQA team in every building so HR killed that so now our boss offers us OT by giving us first pick of covering vacations before getting a backup.

But to Kezz's point we actually use to do this in our building with just 1 IM per shift. 2 IMs during fall season and we were in way better shape. Its just now we're hiring so many people that instead of correcting their wrong behaviors we just create safety nets for the incompetents. Our team has been running for about 3 months now and the 2nd team will be starting in the next couple weeks and quality is exactly the same as it was before.

So to your point I doubt there will be as much improvement as your hoping because it still relies on the OMs giving feedback since all you do for feedback is send an email to that TMs OM and then they not do anything with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back