Archived If you could re-write the orientation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!
I was hoping to get your input about a new project I am trying to work on. After a recent visit from HR BP I finally expressed my thought that the orientation that is now used for new hires, is utterly useless. To my surprise HR BP agreed with me and invited me to write a new one that would work for our store.
The general goal is:
  • Reduce turnover among the new recruits
  • Improve performance
  • Improve attendance
  • Make expectation more clear (what to expect/what is expected)
If you were in charge of welcoming new TMs, what would make a tremendous difference in their on-boarding process and help them be more effective/helpful while working with the rest of the team?
I am open to suggestions, experiences, tips, tricks, thoughts, and any input that you feel like sharing. I want to enrich the orientation with games so I am open to suggestions about that too.
Anything you can give me will be much appreciated.
Thank you!

Stop cheer leading.

It seems every single orientation video uses someone who uses exaggerated head motions and cadence like a try-hard news anchor. People see straight through it, and it always seems fake.

I'd love to see a more conversational tone that treats people like people.

I think having the new folks wrote down a goal they want to accomplish at target in the 1st 90 days is a good idea. It lets you know what they are expecting out of target and lets leadership know what to focus on. Then at the 90 days, they look at their goal and if they didn't make it review it with them. Did their goals change now that they saw everything? I think its a good idea to get to know the new team members.

Stop cheer leading.

It seems every single orientation video uses someone who uses exaggerated head motions and cadence like a try-hard news anchor. People see straight through it, and it always seems fake.

I'd love to see a more conversational tone that treats people like people.
I agree 110%. I find this orientation too cheesy and I feel like it just goes around the subject instead of putting things out there.

I think having the new folks wrote down a goal they want to accomplish at target in the 1st 90 days is a good idea. It lets you know what they are expecting out of target and lets leadership know what to focus on. Then at the 90 days, they look at their goal and if they didn't make it review it with them. Did their goals change now that they saw everything? I think its a good idea to get to know the new team members.
That's something that I didn't think of. Great suggestion. Own your development from day 1. LOVE IT

That's something that I didn't think of. Great suggestion. Own your development from day 1. LOVE IT

I know there will be those people who will be like I just want a job or I dont know thats when they might need some ideas from HR like if you hired a cart attendant, you can cross train in these areas do any of these interest you? Okay lets make it your goal to learn :::insert work center::: then if it doesn't happen it will give a bigger picture of whats going on...

"Hi, I'm HardlinesGuy from Asset Protection, aka, store security. When you get out today, take a walk around the store and look at all the black spots on the ceiling. I will send your ass to jail for a candy bar. Don't steal. Good luck."

"Hi, I'm HardlinesGuy from Asset Protection, aka, store security. When you get out today, take a walk around the store and look at all the black spots on the ceiling. I will send your ass to jail for a candy bar. Don't steal. Good luck."
I've been in a relationship for quite a while now but I can say with certainty that I LOVE YOU.
Btw, how would you approach purchase guidelines during orientation? I try to be empathetic and say things along the lines of "Nothing in this store is worth you losing your job. And nobody in this store steals/consumes food/breaks guidelines without facing the consequences".

I've been in a relationship for quite a while now but I can say with certainty that I LOVE YOU.
Btw, how would you approach purchase guidelines during orientation? I try to be empathetic and say things along the lines of "Nothing in this store is worth you losing your job. And nobody in this store steals/consumes food/breaks guidelines without facing the consequences".

Everything has a consequence weather it be a positive or a negative one.

Aside from the abysmal videos, I think the pamphlets and other literature could use some updating. I know that we have to cover our asses, but I think some things should go without saying. I hate being talked down to like a child, and that's exactly what I felt was happening. It was like watching Dora The Explorer, and the questions all lead to a painfully obvious answer that leaves us saying "well yeah, don't steal. No shit."

Emphasize that just because there are other TMs working in the same workcenter, and we're all a team, everyone has an individual workload that they can expect to be held accountable for. No other TM should have to pick up another TM's slack. Basically, emphasize sense of urgency, because I would say more than half of the recent hires at my store simply don't have it.

Generally speaking I'm the same way whenever I'm around during orientations, I try to be empathetic but with a firm finish, be it in regards to theft or purchase guidelines.

"Look guys, the small reward from stealing from us is not going to be worth the punishment. I don't want to see you guys get caught up in the wrong thing. So if you take away anything from my little ramble here today, remember... If you steal from us, I WILL catch you. And you WILL be prosecuted."

If you had a really fun ETL team wouldnt it be great to make your own 5 minute DVD? Have them introduce their area in a really fun way. The new people could put a face and voice to position.You could have a lot of fun with this
Take a photo and blow it up poster size. Make it a "What we think is wrong with this photo" the photo could be shot from the checklande but you could see the sales floor. Have some one with no name tag a few not smiling two TMs chatting and 8 people in the checkout line. You could then emphasize guest service, uniforms, friendly and what happens when you call out.
Type out a generic letter.Hi welcome to Target, give them the date their first check will be there and where to pick it up. Tell them when they show up on the schedule. Reiterate the attendance policy. Just basic stuff to remember. They are thrown so much information at orientation this is very helpful. At the bottom put a sentence or two about how they "may" have the opportunity to become a permanent team member based on attendance and performance, Grab a skeleton from halloween and dress it in what is allowed for dress code, complete with name tag.
Get some training done in a big group- do ladder safety & Right to know hazardous chemicals for flow. For cashiers do those plus Alcohol quiz. This will allow for more floor time during training. Sitting at a computer to do these for a 8 week team member is wasteful imo.

Orientation is dull you need to make it upbeat and fun. Have a bottle of water for each person. Keep them hydrated and awake.
I think you lose team members at orientation. If they leave thinking that was 4 hours of my life I will never get back! Then you lost them

Mine was slotted for 4 hours and took about 2. All I can remember about it is the goofy videos where they can't seem to talk like normal people and a lot of paperwork signing. I honestly have no idea what I signed. That bothered me later when I thought about the orientation. My orientation was about 6 months ago so it's pretty recent but really just a blur of a memory. I thought then about talking to someone about it, but I like the tm who did it and don't want to get them in trouble.

I got hired on to plano but had no clue what that meant. I get that orientation is for all team members but it would have been helpful to go over each team and what they do not only to help us know what we were hired to do, but it would help us know more about how the whole store works. Actually, a rundown from the top of management down to each team, with their code (stl, etl, etc) and what they do would be great. Part of what made learning the job so huge was figuring out all of Targets lingo. I will upvote the store tour, that was a highlight. :)

I'm not sure what the intent of orientation is so I hope I'm not out in left field. :)

If you had a really fun ETL team wouldnt it be great to make your own 5 minute DVD? Have them introduce their area in a really fun way. The new people could put a face and voice to position.You could have a lot of fun with this
Take a photo and blow it up poster size. Make it a "What we think is wrong with this photo" the photo could be shot from the checklande but you could see the sales floor. Have some one with no name tag a few not smiling two TMs chatting and 8 people in the checkout line. You could then emphasize guest service, uniforms, friendly and what happens when you call out.
Type out a generic letter.Hi welcome to Target, give them the date their first check will be there and where to pick it up. Tell them when they show up on the schedule. Reiterate the attendance policy. Just basic stuff to remember. They are thrown so much information at orientation this is very helpful. At the bottom put a sentence or two about how they "may" have the opportunity to become a permanent team member based on attendance and performance, Grab a skeleton from halloween and dress it in what is allowed for dress code, complete with name tag.
Get some training done in a big group- do ladder safety & Right to know hazardous chemicals for flow. For cashiers do those plus Alcohol quiz. This will allow for more floor time during training. Sitting at a computer to do these for a 8 week team member is wasteful imo.

Orientation is dull you need to make it upbeat and fun. Have a bottle of water for each person. Keep them hydrated and awake.
I think you lose team members at orientation. If they leave thinking that was 4 hours of my life I will never get back! Then you lost them
I agree with you that orientation is so dull and boring. Personally I've been making changes since last year. I make a lot of jokes, I try to come up with cute ice breakers, and in general I try to keep it light but I still feel like there is a lot of room for improvement still!
I love the idea of the game "What's wrong with this photo". It would be very easy and fun to play. I was planning on switching the "be the guest" activity with the game of "run strays for X minutes" (keeping a score and winner gets a prize). Normally computer training in our store is done 1-2 days after orientation and it is completed in 3-4 hours and if they finish in a shorter time than the allocated time then they get to practice on cash register or in their work center.
I love the idea of dressing a skeleton up. I think it's fun and it'll give them a good idea of what and appropriate outfit looks like. My original idea was to take pics of different TMs dressed by following their personal "style" while still abiding by the dress code rules.
I also want to have an understanding check at the end of the orientation and 15-30-60 days check to make sure they know what their role is and they feel fully trained and comfortable in their new position.

Thank you SO MUCH for your feedback!

Mine was slotted for 4 hours and took about 2. All I can remember about it is the goofy videos where they can't seem to talk like normal people and a lot of paperwork signing. I honestly have no idea what I signed. That bothered me later when I thought about the orientation. My orientation was about 6 months ago so it's pretty recent but really just a blur of a memory. I thought then about talking to someone about it, but I like the tm who did it and don't want to get them in trouble.

I got hired on to plano but had no clue what that meant. I get that orientation is for all team members but it would have been helpful to go over each team and what they do not only to help us know what we were hired to do, but it would help us know more about how the whole store works. Actually, a rundown from the top of management down to each team, with their code (stl, etl, etc) and what they do would be great. Part of what made learning the job so huge was figuring out all of Targets lingo. I will upvote the store tour, that was a highlight. :)

I'm not sure what the intent of orientation is so I hope I'm not out in left field. :)

If you had your orientation 6 months ago, the paperwork you signed is pretty much similar to this list (might change depending on the state):
-Application information (lists personal information and your wage)
-Availability form (straight from your application you might have seen it during the interview)
-I9 paperwork (shows eligibility to work in the US)
-State hour and wage form (explains meal compliance in your state)
-Confidentiality and invention/creative work agreement (paper you sign to grant that you will keep confidential what is supposed to be confidential. You agree to disclose to Target any inventiom/any creation you have while being employed)
-Expectation of TMs during non business hours (don't be a di*k off the clock)
-Food safety policy (don't come into work if you got salmonella etc)
-Orientation completion form
-Protecting information at Target (do not disclose information)

Depending on your state there might be more. On top of my head I think that's all

If you had your orientation 6 months ago, the paperwork you signed is pretty much similar to this list (might change depending on the state):
-Application information (lists personal information and your wage)
-Availability form (straight from your application you might have seen it during the interview)
-I9 paperwork (shows eligibility to work in the US)
-State hour and wage form (explains meal compliance in your state)
-Confidentiality and invention/creative work agreement (paper you sign to grant that you will keep confidential what is supposed to be confidential. You agree to disclose to Target any inventiom/any creation you have while being employed)
-Expectation of TMs during non business hours (don't be a di*k off the clock)
-Food safety policy (don't come into work if you got salmonella etc)
-Orientation completion form
-Protecting information at Target (do not disclose information)

Depending on your state there might be more. On top of my head I think that's all

Thank you!! Some of that is familiar, cool. :)

So, as a tm if I invent a revolutionary new whatever I have to tell Target? Lol!! I assume that's for people in their r & d??

I like working at Target and it makes me sad when I see the younger tm's (I'm older) who are fresh to their first job not know how to be professional in the workplace. I think orientation would be a good place to start introducing them to the concept. I think it's great you are looking into this and asking for feedback. I wish that happened at the workplace even once.

At my orientation, we were given a store map & a list of things to get (a la scavenger hunt).
Some were pretty obvious but some were in the lest-expected places.
My store has a skeleton at TMSC that has been trussed up in so many ways I'm surprised it's not on leadership's twitter. It's been fun coming up with ideas for poses/attire & has been a little bit of a morale booster.

At my orientation, we were given a store map & a list of things to get (a la scavenger hunt).
Some were pretty obvious but some were in the lest-expected places..
How long ago was your orientation? And what did you like about it?
My store has a skeleton at TMSC that has been trussed up in so many ways I'm surprised it's not on leadership's twitter. It's been fun coming up with ideas for poses/attire & has been a little bit of a morale booster.
A store nearby has a storm trooper dressed in red and khakis. That thing is cute as hell! I'll have to keep my eyes open for a new mascotte!

Orientation was just over 15 yrs ago; I liked the scavenger hunt.

During my orientation a few years ago our AP person gave us a tour of the AP office. She told us what happens when she would have someone back there for stealing and stuff like that, but the part that we all thought was neat was when she had us watch the cameras. She pulled them all up to show that she could see everywhere and could zoom in far enough to read the print on a magazine. She told us even when she wasn't there that there are other people who also have access to the camera that could contact the store if they noticed anything suspicious. It was kind of like saying she was watching us and not to do anything stupid without her having to say it.

No one from the orientations when she was there got caught stealing, but people who were hired after our new AP guy started have been caught. He doesn't show them the office/cameras. It could be a coincidence, but, maybe not.

1. Ask each new hire what they want to get out of Target, letting them know that there is no shame in needing extra $$$ or just b/c their 1st job isn't covering bills. As HR, this helps you know who will be promoted down the road, who you can call on if a call out, etc. It also helps you know whose hours can be reduced in those leaner payroll months as they use their Target pay as supplemental pay.
2. Speak to each one about how their specific job can be coupled with other jobs. No one wants to stay at Target only pushing carts for 2 years...or unloading product for 2 years. For instance, after food ave closes, can they go push reshop? Can a flow person be reverted to mid-day zone? (I have seen 100s of people leave bc my 20 something mgmt team has no idea on how to manage and push people to their fullest abilities). No one stays too long at a given workplace if they feel like they are doing monkey-work. Decrease monkey work by making them more global which in turn will boost their hours and also assist them in those leaner payroll months (Jan-Mar).
3. Be realistic w/ them about the merit review. I let new hires know from the get-go that April is merit review time. Best to tell them up front that there is no increase in pay after 90 days.
4. Have a 45/60 check in w/ the new hire. Let them know what is working and not working. Perfect time to address attendance. Also, let them know what the store attendance policy is at that time.
5. Pair them w/ a veteran TM. It adds accountability to the veteran TM to show up on time, do a good job, etc. Also, it helps the learning curve. It also reduces the amount of time a HR is pulled for simple questions...like when do we get paid, etc? (Note this is like our training program but make sure the trainer is the same person.)
6. Communicate, communicate, communicate. So many TMs have no idea how they can move up. Mainly b/c a corporation needs more worker bees than chiefs. However, post the new district TL positions on the HR board. Let everyone know about a potential TL position....just not one. Also, let all types of persons do 'project work'. For instance, no one went to school to learn how to check people out on the lanes....if you got a good cashier, you should have asked for their assistance at the National Hiring Event. If anything, they could have spoken to their hired about the importance of red cards. . .
7. Note-how none of these focus on the videos.....that is b/c the videos are pretty useless. I believe it is the work done by HR/mgmt behind the scenes that causes people to stay.
8. Realize that no one comes to Target to 'vibe' or be 'fast, fun, friendly'. Pay is the reason we come to work. So just know that some people will leave as UPS does pay better. So does Wal-Mart in most areas. Just accept it and know that your pay grade cannot change that. Here's looking to you Brian. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back