Archived I'm an electronics team member, but I'm scheduled as a cart attendant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Confused

As the title says, I was scheduled outside of my workcenter. I've only ever been scheduled in electronics and hardlines in the 2 years that I've been here. When I brought this concern up to my STL, she stated that scheduling for cart attendant shifts is "luck of the draw," since our store doesn't have dedicated cart attendants. I asked another electronics team member that has been working here longer if they had ever been scheduled as a cart attendant. They hadn't.

It's still hot here in Arizona, and I don't feel comfortable working the shift. I did not apply for this position and I definitely don't want them scheduling me for shifts in this position. I called corporate and the integrity hotline, but they were no help in answering if this is something they are allowed to do. I'm hoping someone with some insight, possibly a leader, can shed some light on what my options are.

Thank you in advance.

Your store is absolutely allowed to do this. Not to sound mean but it’s a retail job? Suck it up! They should have asked you first but they don’t have to, just a courtesy. Calling the hotline was kinda an overreaction... why didn’t you talk to your ETL first? Maybe put it on the board? Try to switch?

Your store is absolutely allowed to do this. Not to sound mean but it’s a retail job? Suck it up! They should have asked you first but they don’t have to, just a courtesy. Calling the hotline was kinda an overreaction... why didn’t you talk to your ETL first? Maybe put it on the board? Try to switch?

I didn't file a report with the hotline. I didn't know who else to call, but they told me that they don't have the capacity to answer those questions.
I purposely applied for and accepted a position in the electronics department to avoid being a cart attendant. I would've spoken to my ETL, but my ETL is the person in charge of electronics and this is regarding the front end, so it wouldn't be their problem.

How are they allowed to schedule me for something I didn't apply for? I'm specifically asking what allows them to do this and what's stopping them from doing it from this point on.

Put on swap board & communicate to your tl & etl on your concerns.

I'm going to post it, and I spoke to the STL as I stated in the OP. Not sure it gets any higher than that in terms of scheduling authority.

Maybe you’ll love it and be the best cart attendant ever

Ha.

How are they allowed to schedule me for something I didn't apply for? I'm specifically asking what allows them to do this and what's stopping them from doing it from this point on.

I get scheduled in different work centers all of the time and I'm a cashier. I personally am thrilled to be able to work different areas and be "global." Sometimes a change of scenery is a good thing. Also...needs of the business. Maybe your store is really hurting for CAs right now. Would it kill you to do one shift because your store needs you? IMO, it goes a long way with management to be seen as flexible and a team player.

Put it in the swap book. Otherwise call off. It's not your fault/problem that your STL chooses to not have CAs. It's a legitimate Target position!

You aren't trained to use the cart pusher, so that means schlepping in carts manually. Just bring in 1 or 2 at a time... that should send a clear message.

With that all said, if you do call off... don't be surprised if they retaliate and cut your hours in future schedules.

I get scheduled in different work centers all of the time and I'm a cashier. I personally am thrilled to be able to work different areas and be "global." Sometimes a change of scenery is a good thing. Also...needs of the business. Maybe your store is really hurting for CAs right now. Would it kill you to do one shift because your store needs you? IMO, it goes a long way with management to be seen as flexible and a team player, willing to sometimes bend for the good of the store.

I'm sure that your store is appreciative of that. I'm electronics and enjoy working hardlines shifts, but when you aren't willing to work the position, it's a different story. If the scenery wasn't over 100 degrees Fahrenheit or if it were any other job INSIDE the store, I wouldn't have posted here. If the business needs cart attendants, they should hire people who apply for the position of cart attendant. If you read the original post you would see that I said our store doesn't hire CAs.

Put it in the swap book. Otherwise call off. It's not your fault/problem that your STL chooses to not have CAs. It's a legitimate Target position!

You aren't trained to use the cart pusher, so that means schlepping in carts manually. Just bring in 1 or 2 at a time... that should send a clear message.

With that all said, if you do call off... don't be surprised if they retaliate and cut your hours in future schedules.

I'm going to post it and hope I don't have to call out. I will if nobody takes it.

Typically ETL-GE won’t schedule sales floor and especially electronics TMs without checking with the sales floor ETL first so I’m sure he/she knows something about it and why not just talk to your GE? Sometimes my GE schedules random salesfloor TMs for carts but if they speak up she doesn’t do it again unless absolutely necessary. Chances are you just spoke to the wrong person. Your STL oversees the whole store and probably just gave you an answer to move on with his/her day. If you have a problem with your schedule talk to the people who actually write and not try and tattle to their boss or the hotline.

Typically ETL-GE won’t schedule sales floor and especially electronics TMs without checking with the sales floor ETL first so I’m sure he/she knows something about it and why not just talk to your GE? Sometimes my GE schedules random salesfloor TMs for carts but if they speak up she doesn’t do it again unless absolutely necessary. Chances are you just spoke to the wrong person. Your STL oversees the whole store and probably just gave you an answer to move on with his/her day. If you have a problem with your schedule talk to the people who actually write and not try and tattle to their boss or the hotline.

I didn't call the hotline with the intention of "tattling." I called with the intention of determining if they were allowed to do what they did. I didn't even provide them with either my or the store's information. My store has an oddly flat management hierarchy and I know that I communicated with the two people responsible for creating and editing the schedule.

Good for you man, I don’t blame you for not wanting to work in 100 degree weather. Let some other sucker, suffer. You got to look out for yourself only. Screw business needs. Hang em out to dry, literally. You don’t need them they need you.

Good for you man, I don’t blame you for not wanting to work in 100 degree weather. Let some other sucker, suffer. You got to look out for yourself only. Screw business needs. Hang em out to dry, literally. You don’t need them they need you.

Maybe if enough people call in they'll find it necessary to hire somebody who is willing to work the position.

Also, you may want to look up the definition of the word literally, because they would definitely be doing the exact opposite of drying and would instead be sweating their bongos off. I appreciate the concerted attempt at sarcasm, though.

Edit: The only person that decided to say 'screw business needs' is the leadership for deciding we don't need a dedicated CA.

Are you saying that you are too good for a cart attendant shift?

It's a good experience. Helps you to appreciate the grease that helps the gears turn

I'm only saying what I said, otherwise you'd see different words on the posts I've made that you are currently looking at. That's just common sense.

It is not a good experience. I used to be a cart attendant at a previous employer. I am not ignorant to the experience and I'm here to work in the position for which I applied for and was hired for, a position that I am proficient at, not to learn life lessons. If I wanted a harder job I would have applied for one.

Maybe if enough people call in they'll find it necessary to hire somebody who is willing to work the position.

Also, you may want to look up the definition of the word literally, because they would definitely be doing the exact opposite of drying and would instead be sweating their bongos off. I appreciate the concerted attempt at sarcasm, though.

Edit: The only person that decided to say 'screw business needs' is the leadership for deciding we don't need a dedicated CA.
It would be easier to go in for your shift than complain to the whole store, corporate , and all of internet. Good for you though.

It would be easier to go in for your shift than complain to the whole store, corporate , and all of internet. Good for you though.

Calling two phone numbers and typing on a keyboard for less than an hour in total is harder than pushing carts for 8 hours in 90 plus degree weather?

If that's how you really feel, why not come over and cover my shift? It seems like you know enough about it to do a better job than I would, big shot.

While I dont agree with the hotline thing but if it's not your usual workcenter, you have the right to ask why. I wouldn't do it

I'm only saying what I said, otherwise you'd see different words on the posts I've made that you are currently looking at. That's just common sense.

It is not a good experience. I used to be a cart attendant at a previous employer. I am not ignorant to the experience and I'm here to work in the position for which I applied for and was hired for, a position that I am proficient at, not to learn life lessons. If I wanted a harder job I would have applied for one.
Why do they cashier train non-cashiers?

I think this is a good life lesson lol If being thrown a softball like this riles you up enough to call the hotline, you might as well just pack it up and go home, because if you expect to get what you want 100% of the time and to never be inconvenienced... spoiler alert... that's not how life works.

You mentioned in your original post that you're an electronics team members but that you get hardlines shifts occasionally. Why don't you complain about those hardlines shifts too? That's a different workcenter.

Why do they cashier train non-cashiers?

I think this is a good life lesson lol If being thrown a softball like this riles you up enough to call the hotline, you might as well just pack it up and go home, because if you expect to get what you want 100% of the time and to never be inconvenienced... spoiler alert... that's not how life works.

Because they need backups. Guests are waiting to check out to leave the store. What's your hangup with life lessons? You sound like my grandpa. I deal with inconveniences in my work-center and do what I need to to solve problems. I deal with swing shifts, call outs, and rude guests. That's my job.

You mentioned in your original post that you're an electronics team members but that you get hardlines shifts occasionally. Why don't you complain about those hardlines shifts too? That's a different workcenter.

Because the work flow is similar to that of Electronics. I answered this a few posts up. Do you not see the difference between working in air conditioning and hot weather, or does that not fit your narrative?

Calling two phone numbers and typing on a keyboard for less than an hour in total is harder than pushing carts for 8 hours in 90 plus degree weather?

If that's how you really feel, why not come over and cover my shift? It seems like you know enough about it to do a better job than I would, big shot.
No thanks, thats not how it works. You can’t just offload your responsibilities on other people. In two years , you get scheduled for 1 CA shift, which causes you to “talk to STL” and ETL, call the hotline, and complain to the whole internet. I can’t do your shift for you. Just call out. But quit complaining man, it’s embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back