Archived I'm getting close to that point where I just stop caring

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of team members feel this way. They can't get anything else, so they are sticking this out. It kinda does depend on the people you work with and bosses though.

Yep I feel the same way. Our store pretty much went downhill last year and as time ticks by the store keeps crumbling. Team morale? Gone.....Everyone comes in and sometimes everyone is smiling but majority of the time everyone is grumpy and upset. Hrs? Those are pretty much non existent around here!!! Yesterday I worked at 9-100 shift on the sales floor when in the past on the weekends I worked 800-430 mid-shifts however lately they love giving everyone 3 ( yes they give those out) 4 hr shifts etc etc and snip out the 8 hr shifts so basically you have really crummy hrs at the end of the week or only schedule you 3 days maybe 4 days and wonder why it is light on the floor and people are going up for back-ups. It's sad so many stores are declining hmm I wonder if spot really cares.....

Its the same thing at my store...i know i shouldnt be complaining, and i know im lucky i have a job right now, but in the last years that ive worked there ive learned that target only cares about it self, they will fake it to make it, just to make their image look perfect...from the profits that target makes, the team members get the scraps. They brag how they will cross train others into other areas, and not ONE person was trained for another department. I dont even take this place serious anymore, and as for the vibe? LOL seriously? you expect me to be kicked around and b*tched at over stupid s*it, and expect me to put on a fake smile for half of these guests that are just a$$holes anyway for a really crappy pay?

Ours is the same way. I have a lot of people that I work with that I enjoy working with but the great majority of us would be out of there in a heartbeat if we could find something else.

Reactions: NOP
I know I've reached that point, especially after I told another team member on the floor "to shut his mouth and listen to what I'm saying".....the guest that was standing just up the aisle was either going to file a complaint, or die laughing, I'm not sure which based on the look I was getting....

It's been like that at my store too. I got cut to one day a week! I'm considering quitting because I do have another job that's full time. I think the higher ups have way too high expectations of their team members and our guests' spending habits.

Ours is the same way. I have a lot of people that I work with that I enjoy working with but the great majority of us would be out of there in a heartbeat if we could find something else.

I wonder how many people who say "if I could find something else" are even really looking?

I hear tons people at my store say "I'm going quit when I do X".... and then I always ask them what they have done towards doing X? And 99.9% of the time the response is always "nothing" or some (usually lame) excuse why not.

I am too old to care anymore, so I smile and go to work. But these young people I work with? The mental gymnastics they are playing with themselves is just sad.

One young guy at work dropped out of school. He is always walking around saying that he is going to go to school to get his GED soon. Actually, he just told me that again last night.... that he will be going to school to get it "soon".... well, he told me that months ago.... and from what I hear from other TMs, he has been telling everyone that for the past 4 years.

Then we have another that constantly goes around complaining that no one ever calls her for an interview. I asked her how many jobs she applied for in the last year and she says "2".... really? That's the extent of the effort of your job search over an entire year, and you are complaining no one will call you?

The list goes on.

On the opposite side, I have seen countless TMs in my years go to college, graduate, and get the hell out. These TMs were motivated, competent, didn't make excuses, and didn't quit trying. And don't say these TMs were setup in life by parents or something, because most of them weren't. Lots of them lived on their own, some got kicked out of home, and had many other problems in life. But at the same time, they didn't drink, do drugs, hang out with idiots that got them in trouble, or make any other stupid moves in life that I see lots of TMs do.

The fact is, if you are not going to put in the effort, make excuses, or not be willing to help yourself, then you will never get out of retail.

This is not directed at lovecats, but is a general message to the people who make excuses for why they can't get out of retail.

I wonder how many people who say "if I could find something else" are even really looking?

I hear tons people at my store say "I'm going quit when I do X".... and then I always ask them what they have done towards doing X? And 99.9% of the time the response is always "nothing" or some (usually lame) excuse why not.

I am too old to care anymore, so I smile and go to work. But these young people I work with? The mental gymnastics they are playing with themselves is just sad.

One young guy at work dropped out of school. He is always walking around saying that he is going to go to school to get his GED soon. Actually, he just told me that again last night.... that he will be going to school to get it "soon".... well, he told me that months ago.... and from what I hear from other TMs, he has been telling everyone that for the past 4 years.

Then we have another that constantly goes around complaining that no one ever calls her for an interview. I asked her how many jobs she applied for in the last year and she says "2".... really? That's the extent of the effort of your job search over an entire year, and you are complaining no one will call you?

The list goes on.

On the opposite side, I have seen countless TMs in my years go to college, graduate, and get the hell out. These TMs were motivated, competent, didn't make excuses, and didn't quit trying. And don't say these TMs were setup in life by parents or something, because most of them weren't. Lots of them lived on their own, some got kicked out of home, and had many other problems in life. But at the same time, they didn't drink, do drugs, hang out with idiots that got them in trouble, or make any other stupid moves in life that I see lots of TMs do.

The fact is, if you are not going to put in the effort, make excuses, or not be willing to help yourself, then you will never get out of retail.

This is not directed at lovecats, but is a general message to the people who make excuses for why they can't get out of retail.

The problem for some of the people who say that is they are going to school. I'm a full-time student who is about halfway done with my Bachelors, but I can't exactly go on a serious job hunt only to tell them I have limited availability because of school. It's kind of the double-edged sword in order to get out of retail I have to go to school, but to go to school I have to continue working my terrible retail job. Thankfully I've only got two years left, but it's not easy to keep plugging away at this dead end job.

most of my store is feeling this way as well, its relatively a new feeling at my store (within the last year) a few months ago we lost about 6 people but collectively about 40 years worth of experiance, most of them were people who were happy with their job up until our STL decided that we only need 140 hours to staff flow with push goals averaging around 200 hours. personally I am looking for something else and know of a few others both flow and dayside that are looking as well due to these same reasons our trucks are getting bigger and our staffing shrinking. at this time 2 years ago we would have on average 1 person per 100 cartons of freight on our truck, now were lucky to have over 20 people on a given night and our trucks are now averaging around 2700

The people who complain the most at my store (mean TLs, favoritism, etc) are the worst TMs (90% of our flow team), and it isn't the kids either...

I'm gone in November for a job in my trade, my store is like a shitty NA and AA meeting rolled into one, I seriously don't say two words to anybody really anymore, its a really depressing work environment.

Not all their complaints are wrong, but its like a broken record and wears on you after a while. Cant say anything either or they go to HR and I'm sitting in the STLs office.....

not directed at anyone in this thread, just how it is at my store.

Last edited:
I've been looking for something else but at my age (62) there really isn't much out there. Can't afford to retire yet.

I've been like this since my old ETL left =/ ,it's getting worse and worse.

SOT and XFlow are right. People are always talking and never doing anything to improve it, and it's normally the trash who complain the loudest. There are some who do what they can, are willing to sacrifice, plan, etc. and they end up getting promoted and/or leaving. I fucked up years ago, and I'm paying for it now, but I'm also doing the best I can to get away. If only I could speed up time or merge time periods together!

Ditto... morale is out the window, even in the Facilities Mgmt area. One of Targets favorite taglines used to be 'Expect more, Pay less"........Its now my favorite quote for what they expect out of their employees!

Reactions: NOP
It's been like that at my store too. I got cut to one day a week! I'm considering quitting because I do have another job that's full time. I think the higher ups have way too high expectations of their team members and our guests' spending habits.

The 401k & stock options are at a all time high, just work part time for that.

To anybody complaining about lack of hours - pick some up from Flow!! I always get scheduled too many. I don't need 20 hours a week, I'm already working 40 at my other job.

This exemplifies me.

[video=youtube;g2_Yi-1Ryf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2_Yi-1Ryf4[/video]

One of my teachers at school had me do a project on a job I would like to have. She asked why I wasn't wanting to do my project on trying to attain a higher job at Target:
"Uh... I don't want to work there... Target is temporary means. I already hate it there..."

So, I was watching cartoons on my day off today, when this came on (I was watching Spongebob).

They have started b*tching at us at my store when we don't go around all smiles for the guests, so I think this hit pretty close to home for me:

Spongebob: But a visit to the Krusty Krab* makes everyone happy. And what could be better than serving up smiles?
Squidward: Being dead, or anything else!

Or even this:
[video=youtube;2GQSwMCHJNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQSwMCHJNU[/video]

:24 seconds in to the clip.

I don't care, I don't care, I don't care...

I've been feeling like this a lot lately. More than I'd like to. I used to see nothing beyond target, and could see myself being here for a long time. Now I really can't stand everything and wanting to leave. There are a ton of benefits which is fantastic bit I'm wondering if it's worth staying much longer.

When I first started around 5 years ago, things were great. I could see myself with the company for a long time. I changed my major to business and started plugging away at that degree so that in a few years I would be able to be an ETL. I wanted to get as high as I could with the company, geting out of the stores and into a corporate position anyway I could. Life happens. I had to take less hours at school, take a semester off, changed concentrations to another business specific degree, not just business management. A couple years ago, I started to see the writing on the wall, but I told myself that Target could still be a good company to work for...and since I was majoring in accounting instead of just business, I might just be able to land a job at corporate. Then I got to the point in school where I just didn't like my major at all. I still had two years to go in the accounting major, so I decided to change again. After the fall I'll only be 3 semesters away from my Bachelor's in Engineering, and to be perfectly honest, I don't see a future with this company at all anymore. That's why I changed to engineering. Last year when things started getting really bad, I knew I had no future here. Maybe better to say that I don't want my future to be Target anymore. It's just at the point now where I think it is just as hard for ETLs and STLs as it is for TMs. Sure, ETL pay is better, but I don't think their pay is worth all the stress. I'm reminded everyday I go into work that I gotta finish school because I don't want to be here any longer than necessary. Whenever I think about dropping a class, or even skipping a day, I think about Target and get my happy butt to class and study harder.

This is my store as well. Hate the job but need what little money you can get.

I started as a part-timer with spot to earn a little extra while the boys were in school.
Then husband lost his job so I went full-time & I was grateful I had a job.
After nearly a yr, husband got a job - less pay, but I was working so it made up the difference. And I was grateful I had a job.
After a yr, husband got laid off but I was still working. And grateful that I had a job.
After a longer hunt, husband got temp work & I was still working. And grateful that I still had a job.
The gaps between temp work get longer & longer; husband is doing continuing ed but is getting beat out by imported (cheap) labor. My former field has been decimated so I stay at spot & am grateful I have a job.
I listen to bored housewives talk about what camps their kids are signed up for & where they are going for vacation.
And I keep telling myself that I'm grateful to have a job.

:wacko:I would love to say take this job and you know what but I have bills and jobs are hard to come by these days and yes there are days when I love Target but then there are those days when I loathe Target so I just have to grin and bear it as they say and just nod and smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back