Archived I'm really getting sick of getting chewed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see no difference in a vendor's expired coupon and an expired sign. I'll honor it and then have the coupons removed from the remainder of the product, just as I would honor the sign and then pull the sign.

Speaking of, I so intensely dislike those morons who move signs and clearance stickers to the item of their choice and think we're dumb enough to let it slide. Or use the lame excuse, "Well it was on the 90% off rack, so I want 90% off." Riiiight.

In the situation I related previously in this thread, the coupon in question was a Target coupon that came in the box not on it or so the guest said; (although I could probably go on a cruise if I had a dollar for every time a guest told me something they swore was the truth and it wasn't--and I'm not even talking about the deliberate liars--just the ones with bad memories and poor reading and reasoning skills). I have honored expired coupons that were still attached to the product at the time of check out and I don't have an issue doing that.

In the situation I related previously in this thread, the coupon in question was a Target coupon that came in the box not on it or so the guest said; (although I could probably go on a cruise if I had a dollar for every time a guest told me something they swore was the truth and it wasn't--and I'm not even talking about the deliberate liars--just the ones with bad memories and poor reading and reasoning skills). I have honored expired coupons that were still attached to the product at the time of check out and I don't have an issue doing that.

You and I agree on that point. I was referring to Retail Girls question and Naterstyx refusal to honor the coupon ON the box. I also agree that we'd have a grand time on that cruise and we'd have plenty money to spare when we returned home.

Just wait for the yelling when the new software rolls out that only lets them use a certain number of coupons and won't let anybody override it.
It will also take off the coupons in the order they are supposed to no matter which way you scan them.

I can't wait. I'm also happily awaiting the prompt regarding purchase of Amex gift cards with Target gift cards. I keep asking my SR TL why we can't enforce the rule even if there's no prompt and he insists we cannot until the prompt disallows it.

I can't wait. I'm also happily awaiting the prompt regarding purchase of Amex gift cards with Target gift cards. I keep asking my SR TL why we can't enforce the rule even if there's no prompt and he insists we cannot until the prompt disallows it.

Tell your gstl & they will stop it cold, at my store.

Getting yelled at is a weekly occurrence in the pharmacy. Last week, I had someone go off on me for 5 minutes about a past issue and that wasn't what I was calling him for....he felt bad when I told him we were calling for a completely different reason.....

Yeah, sorry...I sort of switched topics. But apparently the expired coupons in the diapers box is happening a lot because people were on Spot's FB page complaining. That's happened to me for years for various products (not Spot related). It would never occur to me to do anything but toss the coupon. Sheesh.

Maybe I'm just weird but I always check the exp date before using a coupon &, if it doesn't work, I have no problem with either tossing it or declining to buy the item without being a beyotch about it.

If it was a Target coupon on the product, I would take it. But if it is a manufacturer coupon, I would deny it.

I AM a gstl. ;) But the Sr won't let me enforce it.

It's not the Sr's call to make, it's the ETL GE's. Every store has a different culture, so maybe yours treats Sr's as if they're above regular TLs, but "by the book", they aren't. Obviously if the Sr is LODing, that's a different story (sort of, still can't over-ride the ETL GE's stated intent).

I AM a gstl. ;) But the Sr won't let me enforce it.

It's not the Sr's call to make, it's the ETL GE's. Every store has a different culture, so maybe yours treats Sr's as if they're above regular TLs, but "by the book", they aren't. Obviously if the Sr is LODing, that's a different story (sort of, still can't over-ride the ETL GE's stated intent).

Let them put their supervisor number on it, instead of yours.

We honor them. Thank the guest for pointing it out, and send someone to remove the coupons.

Its not worth .50 to tick a guest off. Just deal with it like we left an ad sign up.

Speaking of expired ads, my store does honor it the one time someone mentions it...but...do guests ever look at the expiration date of the ad? We have this one really old lady who goes in every Sunday morning just to look for expired ads. I don't know why she does it....she could have come in the day before and gotten the same deal. Maybe it makes her feel exclusive. lol

That's so weird...must make her think like she's getting some awesome deal or how superior she is to the team members. Her time would probably be better spent using Sunday to go over the current ad and getting the stuff on sale for that week, instead of waiting a week to maybe get something.

supervisor can override expired coupons... not bp but ill do it if there's circumstances in which it'd be beneficial... sure we dont get reimbursed but if it makes the guest happy. Ill only do it if there's a good reason.

Quick semi-related question: expired coupon attached to the outside of the product: honor it or not?

We honor it at our store if it's a generally non-sketchy situation, we see the guest take the coupon off the box, the cashier takes the coupon off the box etc. It's not like coupons attached to products are high-value coupons anyways (well, to a corporation $0.50 isn't high value, but to someone struggling financially, any bit helps!) so it's not worth losing business over.

I really hope the movie was The Artist.

No, it was Practical Magic with Sandra Bullock. She probably paid 5 dollars for it.

Furthermore I never accept expired coupons. I had a guest get upset at me most recently for refusing to accept an expired coupon because she was out of town at the time and it was 2 days past. She asked for a manager. I just smiled with a s*** eating grin and said: "Of course mam, but she is going to tell you the same thing." Called my GSTL over, she told her no, she stormed out pissed. Coupon ammount? 50 cents. Stupid to make such a seen for such meager savings.

Last edited:
No, it was Practical Magic with Sandra Bullock. She probably paid 5 dollars for it.

Furthermore I never accept expired coupons. I had a guest get upset at me most recently for refusing to accept an expired coupon because she was out of town at the time and it was 2 days past. She asked for a manager. I just smiled with a s*** eating grin and said: "Of course mam, but she is going to tell you the same thing." Called my GSTL over, she told her no, she stormed out pissed. Coupon ammount? 50 cents. Stupid to make such a seen for such meager savings.

Had a lady once give me an attitude about an expired coupon. "But it only expired yesterday!" I just told her the register wouldn't let me take it. This was also back when target coupons would show up as $0.00 on the screen but would take it off on down below. She commented on that and I pointed out to her that it showed it coming off below. She seemed ok with that but when she walked off she muttered, "I don't think she took off the Target coupons either.". Stupid woman!

Ugh. I hate the "can't you just scan it and see if it goes through?" when I point out an expired coupon or it's the wrong product. I hate it even more when a fellow TM is checking out through my lane and says that.

If it's a non-matched coupon, tell 'em about coupon decoding (manfs using several generic UPCs on coupons), that it's FRAUD, that Target reserves the right to refuse a coupon.
And your fellow TM oughta know better. Mention that one to AP.

If it's a non-matched coupon, tell 'em about coupon decoding (manfs using several generic UPCs on coupons), that it's FRAUD, that Target reserves the right to refuse a coupon.
And your fellow TM oughta know better. Mention that one to AP.

I had a guest from hell tonight with that. She and I went back and forth, so I called the GSA who immediately backed me up. She told me they would scan if I would just do it. She refused to believe me that that wasn't how it worked. Though after that one, I enjoyed handing her back another coupon that wouldn't scan...then all of a sudden whether or not it wouldn't scan was no longer the criteria. I was really holding back giving her a piece of my mind. Apparently she's famous at our store for being a piece of work.

The TM may not have known better. She's flow, has probably never cashiered, and speaks very little English.

Yeah I had a couple girls who always try and scam coupons at our store come through the other night... Had like 20 of those coupons.com coupons, with matching coupon serials (obvious photocopies). They didn't like it when I told them we weren't taking any of their coupons ;) But it says right in the coupon policy that we reserve the right to refuse ANY coupon for ANY reason, so they can suck it!

Happened again today. I got it even worse today. I had to take a 2 minute crash course on how to do photo and do Guest Service on top of it. I was scheduled cashier, but those photo and g.s. team members called off, as did 2 cashiers. So I had to go do that. I had a man that came in with a store coupon that was supposed to be for frontline flee control for cat's/dogs. Buy one and get a 5 dollar gift card. It was not on sale. We were out of it. He handed it to me and asked for a rain check yelling "THEY DID IT FOR ME BEFORE!!!" I tried explaining to this dumb S.O.B. 100 different ways that I could not print a rain check for an item that was not on sale. Coupons do not qualify for rain checks. Every time I finished my explanation he would take the coupon and shake it violently an inch in front of my face as though I were the idiot. I was so red hot and pissed at the idiocy of this complete moron who couldn't get a simple concept through his thick skull. F****** MORON!!! He was raging for what seemed like a solid 15 minutes and tying up my line so bad. I had to have my GSTL helping me because both the Guest Service team member and the photo lab team member called off, along with 2 cashiers. I had the entire Guest service bay full of guests because this idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back