Archived "I'm sorry, I'm off the clock"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they were wrong. No employer can dictate what you do while off the clock (unless you're salaried, but then you're always "on the clock"), provided those actions are legal. They can say whatever they want, but at the end of the day, if they tried to take any action against them, you could take them to court and you'd win.

I agree with this completely. Offering directions, getting the attention of an on-the-clock employee or pointing out call boxes or price scanners are not specific to employment. These things can be done by anyone familiar with the store whether they work there or not.

When I was still a GSA we had a day that the front lanes got hammered. We had every cashier trained TM on a lane (ULV). One of my cashiers held out as long as she could after she was supposed to be off and finally told me that she had to go, had to pick up her kids. I blocked her off and directed guests as best I could and one old lady with a huge load came up and started complaining that I was taking someone off the lanes. I explained that said cashier had worked 45 minutes past her shift and had to leave so she could pick up her children. The guest informed me she didn't care what the cashier had to do, she wanted to check out. I just gave her the fake smile, physically blocked the way and told her she would have to go to another lane.

To this day, I will never allow a TM to stay that long past a shift just so people can get their crap a minute quicker.

More OT; I apologize, say I am not on clock, and am unable to assist them per company rules. If someone doesn't like it they can complain to an LOD who is getting paid to listen to complaints or they can f off and die.

When I was still a GSA we had a day that the front lanes got hammered. We had every cashier trained TM on a lane (ULV). One of my cashiers held out as long as she could after she was supposed to be off and finally told me that she had to go, had to pick up her kids. I blocked her off and directed guests as best I could and one old lady with a huge load came up and started complaining that I was taking someone off the lanes. I explained that said cashier had worked 45 minutes past her shift and had to leave so she could pick up her children. The guest informed me she didn't care what the cashier had to do, she wanted to check out. I just gave her the fake smile, physically blocked the way and told her she would have to go to another lane.

To this day, I will never allow a TM to stay that long past a shift just so people can get their crap a minute quicker.

More OT; I apologize, say I am not on clock, and am unable to assist them per company rules. If someone doesn't like it they can complain to an LOD who is getting paid to listen to complaints or they can f off and die.

Wow what a terrible entitled "guest"

Our store is about the only shopping in the area, so many of the guests are regulars and know most of the tm's. They also know that when we are on break we really aren't supposed to help, but most of us will point them in the right direction. On the good side, to walk from TSC to the front door we have to go past the pharmacy, so usually I ask one of the tm's there to help out

This happened to me the other day when I was buying a soda when I got off work. I was standing in line and a guy asked me if I could help him get something in Electronics. I said "Oh, I'm sorry sir but I'm off the clock." He replied, "So you can't even answer a few questions?" I replied, "No I'm sorry, they're kinda strict about it" and gave him a shrug.

He complained to the LOD.

This happened to me the other day when I was buying a soda when I got off work. I was standing in line and a guy asked me if I could help him get something in Electronics. I said "Oh, I'm sorry sir but I'm off the clock." He replied, "So you can't even answer a few questions?" I replied, "No I'm sorry, they're kinda strict about it" and gave him a shrug.

He complained to the LOD.

You should have told him you are only a wage-slave not an actual slave! ;)

I got "talked to" by an ETL the other night because I was shopping and someone I know said hi then asked me where q-tips were. I was on my way out and would be walking right by them so I told him to just walk with me and I'd show him. We chatted a little bit on the way and I "dropped him off" in cosmetics and before I even got 5' away, the ETL was next to me asking me what I was doing. I told him what happened and he told me "next time, you should just ignore him". HUH!?!?!? I explained who the guy was (my husband is his boss) and said I would NOT ignore people I knew, that was just RUDE!!! He told me (and this is an EXACT QUOTE) "Rude or not, if you're not on the clock, you're not supposed to be helping guests". I said "If I saw him at WalMart and he asked me if I knew where something was, I'd do the same thing and I'll do it again if the situation arises". He said "Really? Well, maybe I'll have a talk with *the ETL-Rx* about going over policy with you then" I said "Whatever....I know the policy, but I refuse to be rude to my FRIENDS..(and as he started to turn and walk away)OOOHHH, since this is actually work related, shouldn't we be having this conversation ON THE CLOCK?" He stopped dead, looked at me, and said, "Ummmm....uhhhhhh......yeah....just don't do it again".

(and as he started to turn and walk away)OOOHHH, since this is actually work related, shouldn't we be having this conversation ON THE CLOCK?" He stopped dead, looked at me, and said, "Ummmm....uhhhhhh......yeah....just don't do it again".

Nice!

The funniest thing about the whole situation is that he never even used my name so I don't think he KNOWS it! When he walked up to me, he just said "ummm....excuse me.....can I talk to you?"

I've never had a TL speak to me about helping guests while I'm off the clock but they have told us to knock off the work talk when we're on breaks and lunches. Now I get the whole thing about not helping guests when not punched in, but when I'm sitting in the breakroom, especially when I'm off the clock, shouldn't I be able to talk about anything I want? My friends and I love to shoot the bull about weird, silly or downright stupid guests we've had. If we're all off the clock what's the big deal?

Yesterday was crazy busy because we had six call outs on the front lanes. Anyway, I'm cruising by the lanes while on lunch break, clutching my delish Target deli crap, en route to the GS office. Light on, cashier yelling at me to do a price check. I shrug my shoulders, point to my name-tagless chest and walk on. The LOD stops me, asks why I didn't offer assistance. I pointed again to my chest, explained that I was on lunch break. She actually said, "So the guest needs help. Would it hurt you to do a price check?" I just mumbled about best practice and walked off. What I meant to mumble was, "Why the hell aren't you doing a price check, honey? You aren't on lunch break. You're standing there berating me."

My ETL-HR told me in orientation that if anyone ever asked me to work when off the clock, I should contact him at which point he would fire that person on the spot. Hahahahaha. That would have been a lovely end to a lovely day.

Yeah, same thing happened to me on monday night. It was consumables inventory night, two mid shift GSAs, the closing GSA, myself, and a GSTL were all there. I was on break and walking by the checklanes when one of the cashiers asked me for a price check. I pointed to my name-less shirt, and directed them to the gaggle of GSTL/GSAs standing by Guest Service to help them out. Same thing when I was walking through again, but it was a different cashier with a coupon problem.

*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back