I'm worried about my status as an aspiring leader.

Off the top of your head, do you know if Target keeps any tangible, physical records of TM's who wish to be a TL? Like, typing up some type of report and saving it, keeping them on file type of thing?

Idk if there is a physical record, but they are always supposed to have someone "on the bench" and someone in the pipeline.

Explain why you think this is bad advice.

If your ETL left the company you now have to prove to your new ETL that you are management material which might take six months to a year.

Therefore you are back to square one in the the process.

However if your new ETL is already in the store and knows you that's a different situation.
I think the criticism was that you shouldn't say any of this in an interview.

Interviewing outside of Target is a good idea. Telling your new ETL that you are interested in promoting is also a good idea.

But don't interview at another company and tell them that you're having trouble getting promoted at Target because the one person who believed in you has quit or got fired. That's how your previous comment came off, even if it isn't what you meant.

“However since they left you feel that you want to leave Target because you have to reestablish a new relationship with your the new ETL.”
In a job interview with a new company this is NOT what to do. You don’t want to show them that because your boss quit that you want to quit. Quitting makes you start all over proving yourself so a new employer is going to think you won’t want to prove yourself at new job if you’re not willing to do it again at old job. This also shows new employer that you have a really lame reason for leaving old job….or that you aren’t being honest about why you’re leaving.
Be a grown up. A professional. A high potential. Not a quitter.

“However since they left you feel that you want to leave Target because you have to reestablish a new relationship with your the new ETL.”
In a job interview with a new company this is NOT what to do. You don’t want to show them that because your boss quit that you want to quit. Quitting makes you start all over proving yourself so a new employer is going to think you won’t want to prove yourself at new job if you’re not willing to do it again at old job. This also shows new employer that you have a really lame reason for leaving old job….or that you aren’t being honest about why you’re leaving.
Be a grown up. A professional. A high potential. Not a quitter.
You are all right in that you shouldn't state you are quitting because your ETL just left.

I should have said is if you are stay at Target you are back to square one because your ETL doesn't know much about you.

So maybe give Target another six months and see if any promotion comes up while at the same time looking for management job somewhere else.

If they get a new TL from another store AND DO NOT BOTHER TO INTERVIEW ANYONE CURRENTLY at your store it is time to move on.

Idk if there is a physical record, but they are always supposed to have someone "on the bench" and someone in the pipeline.
So am I “on the bench”? I’ve talked to my GM ETL, we had a very brief sit down in which she came up with certain developmental tasks for me in the coming months, and the talk itself didn’t last more than five minutes.

One of the tasks is being the new DBO for seasonal and being in charge of the backroom Halloween purge once that comes up. She also mentioned being scheduled as a designated general sales floor leader every Sunday, but I don’t know if this means I’m on the bench and what this means for future prospects.

So am I “on the bench”? I’ve talked to my GM ETL, we had a very brief sit down in which she came up with certain developmental tasks for me in the coming months, and the talk itself didn’t last more than five minutes.

One of the tasks is being the new DBO for seasonal and being in charge of the backroom Halloween purge once that comes up. She also mentioned being scheduled as a designated general sales floor leader every Sunday, but I don’t know if this means I’m on the bench and what this means for future prospects.

Possibly. According to the other replies, you are in a good dept to prove yourself. Talk to your SD.

You are not on the bench. You are probably in the pipeline. On the bench means that you have already passed interviews for TL, and are waiting for a position to become available. In the pipeline means you are working toward that.

No. You’re on the bench if you interviewed with dsd and sd and were signed off to promote.

Last edited:
I've said this in other threads, but I'll say it again here too.

You either are or are not a leader. It's something you control, not Target. If you want to be a leader then go identify some ways you can build the success of your team, and then get to work.

Your management will either notice or they won't, but that doesn't change the value of it. Develop yourself as a leader for yourself, not for Target.

Last edited:
One of the tasks is being the new DBO for seasonal and being in charge of the backroom Halloween purge once that comes up.
Sea is the probably the most fun area in the store . However is not a walk in the park . Ptm is very importan , strategize, and come up with a plan of what you gonna set next so you can start condensing . You need to stay ahead even when dc dumps pallets and pallets last minute

I agree with talking to your Store Director, he/she is the big boss of the store so they're the one you need to really impress and show initiative by talking with them.
Impressing the ETL's is also important as they can push the issue with HR and the Store Director but as long as you get the Store Directors' attention I think you should be able to move up.

I recently talked with my Store Director about moving up within Target and I got a position that will train me even further to become a full-on Team Lead. So I'm speaking from first-hand experience.

Back