Archived Inbound: General job duties and/or tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have used the search function on this site and have not seen many comprehensive discussions of the job duties for inbound. I am scheduled for this tomorrow morning (kind of late for a post, I know) but I do want to prepare for it as much as I can. Even though I know the basics of the position from seeing the results and reading posts (sort product off loaded from the truck onto the correct U-boats or Flat beds) I would like to know if I am missing something, what will exactly be expected of me in this position and if there are any subtle nuances and/or tips I should know. I want them to not have to explain to me every detail of the operation so I can just jump into it quicker.

So I have used the search function on this site and have not seen many comprehensive discussions of the job duties for inbound. I am scheduled for this tomorrow morning (kind of late for a post, I know) but I do want to prepare for it as much as I can. Even though I know the basics of the position from seeing the results and reading posts (sort product off loaded from the truck onto the correct U-boats or Flat beds) I would like to know if I am missing something, what will exactly be expected of me in this position and if there are any subtle nuances and/or tips I should know. I want them to not have to explain to me every detail of the operation so I can just jump into it quicker.

The new modernization requires inbound to zone and backstock their u-boat before moving on to the next task. You will be expected to work in a timely matter on top of helping guests.

At my store, if you're willing to learn and do the job well (and you sound like you do), the veterans will guide you. If you're not sure about something or don't understand how it works, just ask someone. Chances are they'll be nice and helpful and teach you. They want to keep it running smoothly.

I know everyone will be helpful. One of the TLs didn't want me working it today (I was rescheduled the day before to a later shift, consumables-push) because she was the only one there and she didn't have time to train me. Tomorrow more people will be there to help. I already know most of the operations (pushing, backstocking, zoning, everything SFS or OPU related, etc), I just have never worked the line before and want to get as much of a head start as I can, without them having to explain everything to me, if possible

Last edited:
The new modernization requires inbound to zone and backstock their u-boat before moving on to the next task. You will be expected to work in a timely matter on top of helping guests.
At my store inbound ONLY unloads the trucks. Then they go home. A second wave of people come in to push uboats and they’re scheduled in Hardlines.

At my store inbound ONLY unloads the trucks. Then they go home. A second wave of people come in to push uboats and they’re scheduled in Hardlines.

Yeah....that's not how the end 2 end process is supposed to work. It's gonna suck for your store when you switch over

Yeah, this is how it is in my store. It is a pretty big store and when I am pushing, I am told to push quickly and then leave the backstock close to the appropriate area in the backroom for the backroom team to deal with. I really wish I could zone the whole area perfectly (it can really be a mess) and backstock myself, but I just don't have the time.. As far as I know, inbound team is mostly concerned with unloading the trucks, and maybe push if there is time.

Yeah, this is how it is in my store. It is a pretty big store and when I am pushing, I am told to push quickly and then leave the backstock close to the appropriate area in the backroom for the backroom team to deal with. I really wish I could zone the whole area perfectly (it can really be a mess) and backstock myself, but I just don't have the time.. As far as I know, inbound team is mostly concerned with unloading the trucks, and maybe push if there is time.
At my store, you push your uboat and you backstock it yourself. The backroom team of only like 4 TMs does the pulls, empty locations and backstocks pallets of paper towels that you have to use that machine.

At my store, you push your uboat and you backstock it yourself. The backroom team of only like 4 TMs does the pulls, empty locations and backstocks pallets of paper towels that you have to use that machine.
We have a lot more TMs than that all over the place, but I work at a big store in a highly populated area (we are highly understaffed imo). They would want me to push a certain amount (a lot) in an allotted time, and then leave backstock for other TMs.
A big problem I see in general is it seems like every department has their own agenda of things they need to get done and they are not completely working together to make everything the best it can be for each branch. One top of that, usually a lot of mistakes eventually fall onto SFS at the end of the line. We often can't find items because someone messed up at a certain point in the process. It can be so infuriating sometimes. Once again though, understaffed, blah blah.

(I) got completely off track from the original question... Thanks for the input everyone!

Last edited:
So I did it earlier today and it went really well. The TL mentioned to me that I did good, which is always nice to hear in general. It was not an extremely large amount so I had some time to acquaint myself with various procedures. I will still need some time to get perfect at it, but it was not hard to pick up the basics. We finished in less than 2 hours and started pushing for the rest of the shift. I didn't have time to backstock all of my backstock though. I really wish I didn't have to leave it for someone else, but I had to clock out at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back