Archived Instocks questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store is experimenting this thing with using Stand Alone OUTS instead of the In-Stock Tasklist to scan new outs except for two days a week (which are for full research), and the 11-o'clock CAF pulls have been removed from the backroom work load, so we could scan until noon.

Stand Alone OUTS, huh? How is your BRLA?

My store is experimenting this thing with using Stand Alone OUTS instead of the In-Stock Tasklist to scan new outs except for two days a week (which are for full research), and the 11-o'clock CAF pulls have been removed from the backroom work load, so we could scan until noon.
I wouldn't really call that an experiment since that's how every store used to scan Instocks; research in specific fill groups on set days during the week and then scan task list outs in every other aisle that isn't being researched that day.

Stand Alone OUTS, huh? How is your BRLA?
Backroom location accuracy is 99.6% the last time I checked

I wouldn't really call that an experiment since that's how every store used to scan Instocks; research in specific fill groups on set days during the week and then scan task list outs in every other aisle that isn't being researched that day.
We're scanning outs in the entire store everyday (no research), and only doing research on those two full research days--that's the thing. It's emphasis on doing just outs for 5 days without doing research.

With 99.6% BRLA, there's no reason you shouldn't be scanning research. I know it's not your call, but stand alone outs is a waste of your time concerning products with wrong OHs.

As for signs, we don't scan them in anymore; we just have to make sure we scan in the raincheck and make a proper substitute when applicable.

Yes my store is doing this also, stand alone outs through whole store then 2 days research. This is actually an experiment program given to some stores (our store is only one in district scanning this way) by corporate so they can see what works out better (yes they are thinking of changing the scanning process) I've been told it will last 2 or 3 weeks. I do not have any other details right now, but if anyone out there does please post. As I said only certain stores are scanning this way so it does not surprise me if most of you are not doing this.

we have been told that corporate doesn't even fully understand instocks and the ins and outs. makes it kinda hard to be consistent and figure it all out!!

we have been told that corporate doesn't even fully understand instocks and the ins and outs. makes it kinda hard to be consistent and figure it all out!!

I see what you did there.

Spot is like a two-headed monster. One head wants to push best practice but the other head wants to save money, leaving the body ineffective and unable to achieve either head's goal.

I see what you did there.

Spot is like a two-headed monster. One head wants to push best practice but the other head wants to save money, leaving the body ineffective and unable to achieve either head's goal.

Mr Right Hand, I'd like you to meet Mr Left Hand.
I know you never talk to each other and have been working at cross purposes for years but since you are on the same body I thought it would be nice if at the very least you were introduced.
Now carry on ignoring each other.

If we are going back to Outs scanning we might as well start waving the white flag. I'm a lot more interested in all the items that are acknowledged as being on our trucks that never show up. And I'm a lot more interested in why we are being discouraged in every way imaginable not to research our stores and fill them with merchandise. Do we really believe that are stores are actually fully stocked but its all sitting in the stockrooms?

If we are going back to Outs scanning we might as well start waving the white flag. I'm a lot more interested in all the items that are acknowledged as being on our trucks that never show up. And I'm a lot more interested in why we are being discouraged in every way imaginable not to research our stores and fill them with merchandise. Do we really believe that are stores are actually fully stocked but its all sitting in the stockrooms?

Nope, but tell the truth. I do find a lot more than I think I should in the back. I don't know if flow isn't pushing it or its scanned as back stock off the truck. Either way I am pretty much beyond caring. Management changes and not for the better, have left me looking for the door.

If we are talking about what constitutes the Scans with Locations metric, no I am not surprised. If you are going to emphasize speed over accuracy with your flow team they will look for short cuts. Backstock challenge should catch that(unless its Dairy/Frozen push) anyway if your people actually do it. Anything without pick labels( repacks,FDC,McClaine candy) will tend to be missed push. The bigger point is the merchandise is physically in your building and its painfully obvious that instocks teams are catching it as they scan. You don't shoot the messenger here and thats what is happening.
The metric thats important is do your guests percieve your store having what they want to buy in stock. Research is the only thing that fixes that issue, and the current system we have does it very effectively. Stop wasting the time of your instocks team with diversions and just deemphasize the Scans with Location metric. We should be concentrating on training our teams on exactly how the process works. Start explaining all the filters, how scanning produces label drops that dictate your truck, why critical lows are important. Just watching the knee jerk reactions of DTL's and GOL's the past six months tells me that they either do not believe the system actually works as built, they do not understand how it works or they are only interested in producing my performance measures that justify their jobs without actually achieving the performance in their stores.

If we are talking about what constitutes the Scans with Locations metric, no I am not surprised. If you are going to emphasize speed over accuracy with your flow team they will look for short cuts. Backstock challenge should catch that(unless its Dairy/Frozen push) anyway if your people actually do it. Anything without pick labels( repacks,FDC,McClaine candy) will tend to be missed push. The bigger point is the merchandise is physically in your building and its painfully obvious that instocks teams are catching it as they scan. You don't shoot the messenger here and thats what is happening.
The metric thats important is do your guests percieve your store having what they want to buy in stock. Research is the only thing that fixes that issue, and the current system we have does it very effectively. Stop wasting the time of your instocks team with diversions and just deemphasize the Scans with Location metric. We should be concentrating on training our teams on exactly how the process works. Start explaining all the filters, how scanning produces label drops that dictate your truck, why critical lows are important. Just watching the knee jerk reactions of DTL's and GOL's the past six months tells me that they either do not believe the system actually works as built, they do not understand how it works or they are only interested in producing my performance measures that justify their jobs without actually achieving the performance in their stores.
Have you been stalking my conversations with my ISTL and ETL??? When we were told that we needed to increase scans I asked them how? If it isn't out and it isn't a critical low, what exactly is it that you want me to scan? Isn't the ultimate goal to have NO scans??? I tell them that we have a pretty good system that is actually doing what it's intended to do - find the mistakes being made - but that nothing is being done to effectively fix them and that the IS team is becoming a scapegoat with them actually checking items to see if we scanned them (and they're always dumbfounded that we did and there is a backroom location!) We are being scolded if there is a backroom location and do not understand when I question them on why this is a bad thing for the IS team (aren't we supposed to bring out the merchandise that is in the backroom when we scan?) They simply think I'm nuts. I am and I know why.

Last edited:
The whole thing about acknowledged items not being on the trucks kills me, especially for the food trucks. I "own" the freezers, coolers, and produce area when scanning for instocks (every Monday is the only full research day during the week when there are no pallets sitting anywhere in the back for Logistics Zone), and I find high counts of stuff in the system that are not physically anywhere in the store every week. I have to write down every out and critical-low with on-hands higher than 5 or totalling over $50 missing I find while scanning, and I always have at least 20 on the list just from scanning in freezers and coolers. I hardly find mispicks for this stuff; stuff is simply missing.

Have you been stalking my conversations with my ISTL and ETL??? When we were told that we needed to increase scans I asked them how? If it isn't out and it isn't a critical low, what exactly is it that you want me to scan? Isn't the ultimate goal to have NO scans??? I tell them that we have a pretty good system that is actually doing what it's intended to do - find the mistakes being made - but that nothing is being done to effectively fix them and that the IS team is becoming a scapegoat with them actually checking items to see if we scanned them (and they're always dumbfounded that we did and there is a backroom location!) We are being scolded if there is a backroom location and do not understand when I question them on why this is a bad thing for the IS team (aren't we supposed to bring out the merchandise that is in the backroom when we scan?) They simply think I'm nuts. I am and I know why.

This kills me too. My LOD came up to me the other day and issued me a challenge to make MORE THAN 20 RAINCHECKS. In my head I was like "uhh.. why do you want rainchecks? Isn't it a good thing that we have everything in stock..?"... So frustrating, she doesn't understand anything regarding instocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back