Interesting video from customer trying to return open box electronic item

How many times does the TM have to tell this idiot that he can't do the return?
And what part of "new and unused" does he not get?
Also, that second store doesn't know policy. That guest totally scammed that store. I'm willing to bet he didn't even try to turn on either laptop, especially the second one.

Last edited:
The guy that makes these video's is a well known nut job. I mean for petes sake, he secretly records EVERY single interaction he has with anyone. WHACK. JOB.

I hope someone beats his ass, such a sad little man.
"Beats his ass"? PHYSICAL VIOLENCE for someone who has done nothing physical? I think you're the sad little man. He has every right to voice his complaints about the customer service he receives, "nutjob" or not.

Don't take the videos, or the guy himself so damn seriously, and you might actually see them for what they are, FUNNY.

Go watch the other videos and see how he goes into different stores with the purpose of pulling this crap. He should take his complaints up with the corporate offices of the companies, not harass the employees. Tell me you wouldn't step in and fight someone for treating your wife or mother or daughter like that. Yes I hope someone beats his ass, pure and plain physical violence.

I think you are the sad little man.

I've watched a few of these guys vids and I side with the store employees. He fails to understand things. Whether our policies make sense or not, if you shop with us, that's how it is.

You realized this video was staged? I would that all parties involved are out to steal from spot. For 2 reasons:
1. By doing a full return without electronics tm or Gstl checking the item.
2. Buying the repackage item at lower price using tm discount, etc.
IMO.

Go watch the other videos and see how he goes into different stores with the purpose of pulling this crap. He should take his complaints up with the corporate offices of the companies, not harass the employees. Tell me you wouldn't step in and fight someone for treating your wife or mother or daughter like that. Yes I hope someone beats his ass, pure and plain physical violence.
I've watched plenty of his videos. Of course he goes looking for trouble, and I find it funny. If someone talked like that to my wife/mother/daughter, I would argue with him, with WORDS, not my fists. Because I'm not a moronic caveman that has to resort to violence to get his way.

stupid rules said:
I think you are the sad little man.
I would insult you back, but then you might BEAT MY ASS, you big tough guy.

GlobalTargetTM said:
I've watched a few of these guys vids and I side with the store employees. He fails to understand things. Whether our policies make sense or not, if you shop with us, that's how it is.
Policies are not laws, and he has EVERY RIGHT to voice his OPINION about them.

Guest Attendant said:
Look at his youtube user name

definethelaw

Clearly that says something about himself
That comment cleary says you judge a book by the cover. There used to be laws that were very negative concerning black people, should those laws not have been "defined"? Some laws need to be "defined", broke, and eventually changed.

Hardlinesmaster said:
You realized this video was staged? I would that all parties involved are out to steal from spot. For 2 reasons:
1. By doing a full return without electronics tm or Gstl checking the item.
2. Buying the repackage item at lower price using tm discount, etc.
IMO.
Umm, no. The video wasn't staged, he has many similar videos involving stupid "managers" with corporate sticks up their asess.

Last edited:

Formina Sage💯

Probably still better than you at the stacker
Staff member
Administrator
One of his videos shows him cashing out Target gift cards. This must be required by law in Cali, is it that way in any other states?

I am not convinced on that tm.
1: using a device to record stuff in spot.
2 then different angles on same guest.
3. No show by GSA/gstl. Sorry red!
4. No by tm's/tl getting reshop.

"Policies are not laws, and he has EVERY RIGHT to voice his OPINION about them."

Have an opinion? Yes. Violate the policies? No. That guy would get the boot out of my store really fast. Police respond in around 3 minutes or less. After being asked to leave and failing to, if he continued causing problems he would be arrested for criminal trespass and disturbing the peace.

If you don't like the policies of a store, don't shop there. Boycott them. Speak out in a useful fashion instead of bothering the other people shopping there and the employees that are forced to deal with you.

How about the TPS that LIED about him using the F word in the video I linked? Is it Target policy to LIE when dealing with customers? I have no problem with stores having policies, but I do get annoyed when Target robot managers (or Best Buy, Walmart, etc.) keep repeating corporate BS lines, OVER AND OVER. Talk like a real person, and stop saying "IT'S OUR POLICY!" a million times.

The guy is just screwing with various stores and businesses to be funny. If you don't like the policies of his humor, don't watch his videos. I'm sure he's not the worst customer in the history of retail. In my opinion, all the people making comments on his YouTube videos, saying how they would severely hurt him or KILL him if they met him in real life are much worse human beings.

The fact of the matter is that the person he is talking to--who IS the GSTL, by the way (You'll notice he's not the Service Desk TM, who is behind the desk, and is also wearing a headset)--is trying to let him know that what he is asking for is not possible.

Obviously, some people here who are ragging on the TM haven't a clue about how SDTMs/GSAs/GSTLs are supposed to handle customer complaints. We cannot violate policy. All we're supposed to do is apologize and restate the policy. So the TM did precisely what he was supposed to do--although I would have called for an LOD/AP after a few minutes.

frankly the guy is lucky he is getting the robot repetition of policy. If it were left entirely up to me I'd walk away or give him the boot. Target can handle having one less annoying person shopping there.

B

Barcode

frankly the guy is lucky he is getting the robot repetition of policy. If it were left entirely up to me I'd walk away or give him the boot. Target can handle having one less annoying person shopping there.
Yeah.. unless you're an ETL you can get in serious trouble for that :)

He isn't doing it for humor, he is doing it to try and prove some point about big business. Of course you are too immature to realize it. Keep fighting the fight. /brofist
Yeah, proving points in a humorous way. I'm immature? You're the one talking about beating people's asses on an Internet forum, genius.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
Some people simply have too much time on their hands so they wage these Quixotic battles to show that they're 'making a point/difference'.
If they *really* wanted to have an impact, they would write to corporate detailing the problem from the consumer's vantage, acknowledging the corporate vantage then offering a sensible compromise.
Instead, they take the easy route in hopes of getting their 15 minutes of fame under the guise of "helping the little guy".

Yeah.. unless you're an ETL you can get in serious trouble for that :)
I have permission from my ETL team to ask people to leave that are obviously disturbing other guests. If they refuse, I call for ap, explain the situation, and it is dealt with. I don't see how that is any different from any other store. Are regular TMs not allowed to ask people to leave? Naturally only AP can FORCE someone to leave.

B

Barcode

I have permission from my ETL team to ask people to leave that are obviously disturbing other guests. If they refuse, I call for ap, explain the situation, and it is dealt with. I don't see how that is any different from any other store. Are regular TMs not allowed to ask people to leave? Naturally only AP can FORCE someone to leave.
I don't think its BP at most stores for TMs to ask guests to leave... Think we're supposed to escalate the situation to a TL/LOD/AP first.

However if your ETL delegated this to you, you should be okay.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
The guy is nuts...Doesn't he realize he is on the grounds of breaking privacy laws by making these secret recordings.

I don't know if policy changed since I left. But I remember it as long as the item was broken and all item contents were in the box, an item could be returned.

I don't remember anything about exchange only and having to open the new item except for CDs.

But if an item was obviously used, then a TM is empowered to refuse the return.

talan123

Team Member/Troll
The guy may be nuts but I don't think he is breaking privacy laws. Target doesn't have signs saying no video taping in full view of the public which means they are in their right to take video of events that happen in full view of the public.

Formina Sage💯

Probably still better than you at the stacker
Staff member
Administrator
The guest is on Target's private property and is subject to their rules, just like the LOD said in the video. While there may not be a sign explicitly saying "No filming or photography", the Target employee stated that was the policy and the guy should have respected that. There aren't signs saying "No public urination" either, but does that give people the right to do so?

Dr Laytex

Thread Derailer
People shopping inside a Target don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy, so privacy laws would not apply. If it was inside a restroom or someones residence it would be different.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
However, you are on Target's property and are under the guidelines when you come through the doors and parking lot that you are being recorded by Target. Not by other guests. And was not authorized by Target to film on their property.

Even TV crews have to have verbal authorization from store management to shoot on their property.

And the guest concealed a camera and recorded the images of the TMs without their knowledge and published it on the internet without their consent.

"Private Property" with a business open to the PUBLIC, folks. "Private Property" laws are so old, they originally concerned farms and land ownership.

Do you think every picture and video with people "published" on the internet got "consent" from those people? It's not just this guy.

From the target.com website:

All returns and exchanges must be new, unused, and contain all original packaging and accessories. A form of personal identification may be required. Some items cannot be returned if opened and may only be exchangeable, including music, movies, video games, software and collectibles. Other restrictions may apply.

Wonder how ballistic he would've gone if they tried to charge him a 15% restocking fee: Restocking Fees: Some items are subject to a 15% restocking fee, including camcorders, digital cameras, portable DVD players and portable electronics.

Guest Attendant

Former Target Team Member
speaking of witch whats the deal with the headsets? The new cart guys at the store I work at wear them now. I guess its to be safer....

Technically, GSA/GSTLs are supposed to wear them (although no-one at my store does)... it gives what the GSTL hears more privacy so they can be given heads-up on certain issues. As for carts, it's nice to have because it's right next to your ear, so you can hear it over the carts easier.

laws differ by state. I can't state the laws in my state or I'd be found out pretty fast but in general it varies by state what privacy rights you have, where, and what reasons a store can kick you out. In general you have a privilege to shop not a right and can be removed if you break the public disturbance laws. Filming is different. If someone asks you to stop filming them, you generally don't have to stop. If the film is published however, in a movie that is sold, or in a newspaper article/website, then you need a signed waiver giving you permission. Otherwise that would be a hassle anytime you made a home movie. Police like to give everyone hell for filming them as if it is illegal. People have been arrested even. However it isn't illegal and those police officers get in trouble for that.

You cannot film in airports though.... I'm pretty sure homeland security has that one taken care of.

Dr Laytex

Thread Derailer
Really? So all the film of people being molested By TSA agents was obtained illegally? This thread has completely derailed btw.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
Back on subject...

The dude is nuts. He wouldn't even let the TM even explain the policy. He even chopped the most important part of the video to make it believable...the beginning.

But what was the exact story about this return to open the new item and being from a different store.

I never heard of opening electronics on exchanges. Has there been a update in policy.

Usually when I had a guest bring in an electronic item saying it was defective with a valid receipt, I always checked the contents to make sure everything was there. And processed the return. If the situation seemed fishy, I bring the GSTL over.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
But what was the exact story about this return to open the new item and being from a different store.

I never heard of opening electronics on exchanges. Has there been a update in policy.
I remember a while back we used to open merchandise that was being exchanged (or just break the seals on the new package) as an indicator of an exchange. This was in the event a guest would attempt to take the new item to another store to return for a full refund & was primarily done on electronics with a serial number (ie: TVs, iphones, ipods, idon'tknowwhatelse).
Like I said, it's been a while.

One guest had return an iPod in a box. gs took the return. When I had open the box, it had rocks in it! :facepalm:

Last edited:
I wouldn't find it cool at all to have some random stranger recording me and then posting it where other strangers could see it. I mean, if the guy doing it wants to be a douche or to "prove a point" or whatever the heck he's doing, it'd be nice if he'd at least have common courtesy to try avoiding any identifying visuals.

Isn't it against law in general to film/tape anyone without their permission? Or is that only applicable when it comes to evidence?

Eh.

I wish he'd at least just record/post audio of his crap, and if he really needs to let people know where he was at... then mention where the location was. =3=; General information, and less chance of whatever craziness could happen from his negligent (to me/imho) methods.

violet sky

Front End Doormat
I'm a GSA, Electronics, and GS TM and I just want to say that even if it was intended to be humorous, which it wasn't, by the way... it is NOT fun or funny to be harassed by guests over policy. We can only try the options that we're given.