Archived Internal ETL Promotions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know management in different districts can vary greatly on things like this, but I'm curious what kind of representation is out there for the other end of the spectrum. In my area, it's very uncommon for a TL to be promoted to ETL. I get the impression it has to do with TLs already having the experience and understanding of how things actually work, versus how Target wishes they worked. A fresh out of college ETL can be molded into exactly what Target wants them to be, unfortunately, a lot of the time that means we end up with ETLs with no retail experience and, on occasion, without a clue.

We talk about how great it would be if we had more internal hires at ETL at my store, but around here it's wishful thinking. How does your experience vary?

I do want to clarify that this isn't a personal issue for me. While I would like to be an ETL, because I genuinely enjoy retail and think I could do worse than Target, I'm not eligible for promotion to ETL, as I don't have a bachelors degree (that's a whole other issue). I would probably seek some Mon-Fri employment elsewhere if I spent the time and money to acquire a degree. I've found some way to enjoy every job I've had and would take less money to have a 'normal' schedule.

There are quite a few internal promotions in my district. I'd say it's about 50/50 with external hires, which is crazy considering how impossible it is in some other districts/regions to internally promote to ETL. All of them do have degrees though. That requirement has only been looked past probably once that I can think of.

What about being a senior team lead or a team lead that's a keyholder? That's better than just being a team lead.

Two to three years ago it was noticeable that there were almost no internal promotions within my district. Most new hires out of college use Target as a temp job until they get into the field they really want. Countless others can't deal with the things we go through on a day to day basis and end up quitting.

This year is a different story I think more than 80% of the promotions to ETL were internals. It only makes sense that you would give the people who have been with the company and proven they can deal with the day to day the chance to continue to do so. I know I read a article at one point that the company was trying to cut down on the turnover within the executive ranks. Promoting within is the easiest way to continue to do this.

I couldn't say for sure, but moving to an internal promotion structure fits with Cornells vision for the company returning to its roots.

Internal promotes can be tricky, as the strong ones tend to not have a degree. Once they get rid of that idiotic requirement (just for internals, externals should have a degree or equivalent exp) then the quality of internal promotes should go up. College can't teach you how to lead, and you can't do everything yourself. So what was having a degree really accomplish?

It shows you aren't a complete dipshit, and sometimes that's questionable too.

It's been interesting reading though this thread as I have been asking the same thing at my store. I got hired as a TPS but I have my bachelor's and have management experience.

Honestly I think being a SR TL is better than ETL.

Depends on the store & situation.

I totally agree with you @MyTH.
In my ULV store being a Senior is better because you can just go home at 40 hours but the ETLs work 14 hour days to get the bare minimum done some weeks (especially when payroll is tight). However, things could be different at higher volume stores (I know ETLs are still expected to work 10 hour days but I imagine that's not nearly as much hands on as the ETLs at my store do). I haven't worked in a high volume store so I don't really know.

Honestly I think being a SR TL is better than ETL.
Being a Srtl is by far not better than being an etl, in any situation.

Especially in a lower volume store, because often there is more work than time, and you don't get freedom from that restriction, but you are still held accountable to the result.

Requirements for new ETLs
-4 year degree
-no older than 27
-has no clue, but an overbearing personality

Requirements for internal promotion
-20 years experience
-a major ability to kiss ass

One slight change, - no older than 24 - Since last 3 newbie ETLs were straight out of school. And it showed..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back