Archived Internal to Intern? Process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paidtosmile

Former Team Leader
Hey friends, I was hoping to get a little information from you.

What does the process of becoming an intern look like when you're a current team member?
Who do you interview with/how do you apply/did you get an assignment near your home/school? Etc etc.
Also, what does it take to become an extended intern? And what do you do differently as an extended intern vs a regular intern?

Does anybody have experiences they'd want to share? (First hand experiences, specifically, would be awesome)

There are a couple different ways. I did all Three:

1. On campus recruiting events
2. Apply online
3. HR/STL pipeline (resume gets passed along)

Like I said, I did all of these and got an email with instructions and a personality quiz. 20 EXTREMELY difficult questions in 20 minutes (EX: Jim took the train at 8:00, Dean arrived 15 minutes after Tom, when did Tim arrive).
Then I had a phone interview with questions that can be searched online. Extremely personality based.
I then found out that because I was/am a TM, that I'm not eligible. It depends on the district, but in general it is very difficult to get the internship internally.

They are looking for juniors mainly that have little experience and have a lot of leadership (Also helps if you are attractive; sad but true). You need to fit the Target ETL form. They have gotten away from these roots but it's still there. They want to form you to their mold.

Recurring is usually November-January, but some (like mine) are still looking for applicants. This is frustrating because they are missing out in my opinion.

You can be placed at any store in your district so they are looking for someone extremely willing to travel for the 10 week program.

In some cases (mainly if your intern school is near your school) you can ask to be extended until May and work a piddly amount of hours during the week. Other than the extra 9 months, there is no difference between regular vs. extended.

Mine was very simple. The STL brought it up to me a year before I was eligible and I told him I was very interested. About year later I emailed him (because I was out of state for college) and he told the recruiter. The recruiter called me and we had a short conversation over the phone. I interviewed with her and the DTL in August (normally people interview in January-March) because I was out of state later that month. I got a phone call before I even left the offices with an offer. My suggestion is to talk to your STL because you will need their recommendation to get in since you're internal. I'd do it ASAP if you're looking for this summer.

I didn't extend the internship, however, you have to do well in the 10 week internship and I'd say the difference is that you're essentially a TL with more responsibility because you have no keys. The internship was awesome, pay was great and I highly recommend it

Hey friends, I was hoping to get a little information from you.

What does the process of becoming an intern look like when you're a current team member?
Who do you interview with/how do you apply/did you get an assignment near your home/school? Etc etc.
Also, what does it take to become an extended intern? And what do you do differently as an extended intern vs a regular intern?

Does anybody have experiences they'd want to share? (First hand experiences, specifically, would be awesome)
Its possible but from my experience, its very rare. One thing is that you have to be in your last years of college or already obtained a Business or Retail related degree. Second, put in the word in the ear of your STL and DTL. Inquire into the Corporate Recruitment and Exec related training.

"Rarity" must depend on District.

Two team members at my low volume store are set to become interns this summer. Their path was to talk to the STL (who manages the intern program/process) and express their interest. Both have been Target TM's for a couple years each while they have been in college. Obviously the STL thought they had potential, they did interviews with leadership and the DTL, and after passing were offered intern positions. For both of them their pay is going to nearly double while they work as interns. They are both very excited about it.

Thanks for all the responses so far! I just wanted to clarify that internal interns are not rare in my district.

I think I should rephrase my question to better address what information I'm looking for: What is the process for becoming an intern? Number of interviews, and with who? Store assignment, is it usually in your district or do they move you? How long does the entire process take? Things like that

I think I should rephrase my question to better address what information I'm looking for: What is the process for becoming an intern? Number of interviews, and with who? Store assignment, is it usually in your district or do they move you? How long does the entire process take? Things like that

Not speaking personally (obviously), but this is what I've seen from both our current intern and the two new interns. They basically did ETL interviews. So they interviewed with an STL, DTL, and HRBP. All have been assigned stores in their current district, but none were able to (or will be able to) stay with their current store. The process of prepping for it, interviewing, and then being offered the intern positions took several months. The two TM's who are starting as interns this summer completed their interviews over the holidays, and were offered the internships in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back