Archived Interview Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend is applying to a store near me, I am wondering what kind of questions they ask in an interview and any other tips. I tried searching on here but couldn't find anything. My old ETL-HR was my Mom's best friend so my interview was walking in and I was just offered the job lol (but the ETL-HR knew a ton about me and my previous jobs, I was only 16)

More important than the actual questions is how a person relates one on one. Anyone hiring is looking for a reasonably intelligent person who seems like they would be a good fit for the department. Does the applicant make eye contact, are they friendly, do they make conversation easily? As Target is getting more into guest service everyone is expected to be more willing to be friendly and an interviewee should reflect that.

Also, the questions are situational, so the only wrong answers are "I don't know" or "I can't think of anything".

But I see turn downs all the time. They pretty much all answered the questions so it really is trying to make a connection to the team lead doing the interview because that is likely going to be their team lead. Hope it goes well!!

Team member interview guide A is:

First tell me about yourself!

1.) Tell me about a time you exceeded the expectations of a customer or someone you worked with
2.) tell me about a time you worked with another person to achieve a goal
3.) tell me about a time you had to make a major change to your daily routine or prioritization set by your leader
4.) I am blanking on number 4 but I will circle back when I remember

I just did 8 interviews yesterday so theyre still engraved in my brain.

Last edited:
#4 must be truly scary if your brain is having selective amnesia. Maybe it's best for your emotional wellbeing to try not to remember it. 😁

#4 must be truly scary if your brain is having selective amnesia. Maybe it's best for your emotional wellbeing to try not to remember it. 😁
After the horrible interviews I had yesterday I wish I could forget them all

I believe you meant a warm body
Warm bodies aren’t required to make eye contact or be particularly friendly after they pass the interview. Not to say they can be dicks, but most only exhibit grunts and groans.

Basically to ace an interview be bubbly and helpful, listen well and ask great questions, give examples of how great you are at problem solving. Most important make them believe you drink the kool aid.

For the "why do you want to work here" question, I said that everyone in my family loved Target and we'd all been shopping there for years. (It was an honest answer... even all of my extended family shops at Target.) Anyway, they LOVED that answer and I think it really helped me nail the interview.

For the "why do you want to work here" question, I said that everyone in my family loved Target and we'd all been shopping there for years. (It was an honest answer... even all of my extended family shops at Target.) Anyway, they LOVED that answer and I think it really helped me nail the interview.

I put on a big smile for that one and said, "It's TARGET! I shop here and love it. And, I hear you treat your employees incredibly well."

Last edited:
Each work center has different interview questions now btw! I had to do an interview for a couple of my peers and I had to explain this to the applicant. You need to tell their friend that the questions are thinking of a situation, how or why they handled it and an outcome. I know when I do my interview just genuine reaction to why you would do anything to help a customer/friend. " Because its who I am" " I don't like to see people struggle" you can tell me what I want to hear but I can make you be you.

Team member interview guide A is:

First tell me about yourself!

1.) Tell me about a time you exceeded the expectations of a customer or someone you worked with
2.) tell me about a time you worked with another person to achieve a goal
3.) tell me about a time you had to make a major change to your daily routine or prioritization set by your leader
4.) I am blanking on number 4 but I will circle back when I remember

I just did 8 interviews yesterday so theyre still engraved in my brain.
#4 tell me about a time you influenced someone’s opinion

They made me do math. 😳
What kind of math was it? One of my friends applied maybe four or five years ago and they said they were given math problems at the interview. One type of math problem on there, they said they'd never even seen it before and couldn't describe it well to me. Sounded like a geometry problem from what they said at the time, but I could be way off with my guess.

They will ask “Why do you want to work for Target?” I’m still trying to come up with a good answer after 9 months...
The lamest question ever. I think the right answer would be "Because I want to be with guests, help them"

Mine were situational.
Name a time that you had to meet a deadline but almost didn’t make it.
Name a situation that didn’t seem to be what it really was.
Tell me about a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker.
How would you handle an irate guest?
Things like that.

●Call a manager or supervisor or call security depending on what the situation is like.

Glassdoor has a lot of questions posted if you go to their site and search Target interview questions.

●Call a manager or supervisor or call security depending on what the situation is like.
Before jumping to that, one answer is that most irate guests want to feel validated, so listening to them, paraphrasing back with words of agreement and a well placed apology or two can de-escalate without needing a supervisor. Add in that a lot of people get even more worked up when they have to wait to voice their frustrations until someone arrives, validating immediately can actually keep the level of upset lower than it would be if a supervisor is asked for immediately.

What kind of math was it? One of my friends applied maybe four or five years ago and they said they were given math problems at the interview.
It was a simple adding money question, lol. This was 5+ years ago at my first face to face interview.

Before jumping to that, one answer is that most irate guests want to feel validated, so listening to them, paraphrasing back with words of agreement and a well placed apology or two can de-escalate without needing a supervisor. Add in that a lot of people get even more worked up when they have to wait to voice their frustrations until someone arrives, validating immediately can actually keep the level of upset lower than it would be if a supervisor is asked for immediately.
The reason I put that there is because we had a guest that was likely on drugs and started cussing at a team member so the team member had to called security and have them deal with her. Also sometimes calling the supervisor is the ONLY choice when it comes to voicing their guest perspective and it MUST be directed to the appropriate audience. We are only team members and cannot change how the store runs. Perhaps guests yelling their concerns at a manager will help bring change.

There is a huge difference between someone on drugs and someone who's mad because they drove down for a specific item they were told over the phone/Target.com showed was in stock and it actually isn't. Plus, there are times when leaders don't really have the luxury of time to come and deal with a difficult situation, and they will be very happy with you if you can handle it yourself - and happy leaders can give nice payback, such as approving that day off you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back