Inventory 📦

SuperTarget

Former Team Member/Leader
A couple weeks ago me and another coworker went to another store to help with their remodel. I was so glad I could help them with Set Workload.

Because I agreed to help with a remodel store and because my store director must love me, he volunteered me to help yet another store but this time with Inventory. I agreed to help again because it’s roughly the same travel distance as I did before. This 2nd store that I’m going to is in a pilot for the new Selfcount app where all inventory counts are done in-house. That will be a completely new experience for me. I’ve never used this new app and I don’t really know how it differs from the typical Target inventory process.

On top of all that, my store is doing inventory next week and I’ve been assigned to count A&A because I think WIS does the rest for my store.

So much going on, which has pushed my training for team leader out a little bit but I’m happy to not only be helping my store but another fellow store with inventory.

Am I doing too much lol?

A couple weeks ago me and another coworker went to another store to help with their remodel. I was so glad I could help them with Set Workload.

Because I agreed to help with a remodel store and because my store director must love me, he volunteered me to help yet another store but this time with Inventory. I agreed to help again because it’s roughly the same travel distance as I did before. This 2nd store that I’m going to is in a pilot for the new Selfcount app where all inventory counts are done in-house. That will be a completely new experience for me. I’ve never used this new app and I don’t really know how it differs from the typical Target inventory process.

On top of all that, my store is doing inventory next week and I’ve been assigned to count A&A because I think WIS does the rest for my store.

So much going on, which has pushed my training for team leader out a little bit but I’m happy to not only be helping my store but another fellow store with inventory.

Am I doing too much lol?
I love helping other stores. I enjoy doing different things and as a tl I tend to be doing the same thing most days. Definitely more then I did as a TM. Meeting new people amd seeing different ways of doing things is probably the best part.

Does inventory affect BRLA? I thought it strictly was financials/on hands and did not correct things like baffles/ghosts. Am I wrong in this?

Didn’t want to make yet another thread so a slight necro on an existing old thread.

two things to spell doom

no prep inventory
RGIS or whoever they morphed into

bonus fact

TMs are counting the backroom.

the hilarity will be epic.

Our is in a few weeks.

I hope our store spends time auditing backroom locations because I have to do it constantly.

I am just kidding our store will do nothing beforehand as usual.

I offered to audit a couple of aisles a few years ago but told my TL I would only come in do that.

He said no even though it would have only have taken a few hours.

I guess they rather have a bad inventory!

Our is in a few weeks.

I hope our store spends time auditing backroom locations because I have to do it constantly.

I am just kidding our store will do nothing beforehand as usual.

I offered to audit a couple of aisles a few years ago but told my TL I would only come in do that.

He said no even though it would have only have taken a few hours.

I guess they rather have a bad inventory!

Auditing the backroom before hand won't change inventory numbers. Inventory counts what you have in the building and compares it to what the system says you should have. Whether it was correctly located or not in the backroom doesn't change the outcome.

Auditing the backroom before hand won't change inventory numbers. Inventory counts what you have in the building and compares it to what the system says you should have. Whether it was correctly located or not in the backroom doesn't change the outcome.

So as long as the counts match the location(s) don't matter?

Last edited:
But if an item is sitting unlocated in the backroom, if that DPCI shows up in an audit, odds are it gets wiped out, so you have more than the system thinks. So no, auditing the backroom does nothing on its own, but if the backroom is 👌🏻 then when you do audit the on hands, you know you're not missing anything.

But if an item is sitting unlocated in the backroom, if that DPCI shows up in an audit, odds are it gets wiped out, so you have more than the system thinks. So no, auditing the backroom does nothing on its own, but if the backroom is 👌🏻 then when you do audit the on hands, you know you're not missing anything.

Inventory isn't looking at the current on hand it's looking at the book inventory which we never see.

For example say Item A had 10 counted last inventory. Over the year you received 90 on the truck and sold 88. You also correctly damaged out 4. Your book inventory level is 10 + 90 - 88 - 4 = 8.

Even if you had an audit during the year that changed the on hand to 4, what gets counted in inventory is compared to the book on hand (or really book $ value of the inventory).

(Note: Poor on hand changes during year can cause shortage or padding during price changes as well)

But you're not wrong in what you said. An accurate backroom keeps physical on hands more accurate and prevents a lot of unnecessary freight.

Last edited:
It just dawned on me AFTER our inventory last year how screwed up everything was in the backroom.

What sort of prep are stores supposed to do?

Go through a back room locations and organize same DPCIS together, remove trash and Salvage, precount assortment pallets, put deep stickers where needed and write eaches on case packs where needed, assortment cartons need scan sheets printed and attached. All repacks from soft lines should be worked or sorted onto racks. Ideally the sales floor would be zoned to planogram. Anything that should not be counted in inventory needs a Do Not Inventory Post-it note (this includes non-retail supplies and displays)

Inventory isn't looking at the current on hand it's looking at the book inventory which we never see.

For example say Item A had 10 counted last inventory. Over the year you received 90 on the truck and sold 88. You also correctly damaged out 4. Your book inventory level is 10 + 90 - 88 - 4 = 8.

Even if you had an audit during the year that changed the on hand to 4, what gets counted in inventory is compared to the book on hand (or really book $ value of the inventory).

(Note: Poor on hand changes during year can cause shortage or padding during price changes as well)

But you're not wrong in what you said. An accurate backroom keeps physical on hands more accurate and prevents a lot of unnecessary freight.
So FDC "sending" me stuff I never get, or throwing stuff on a pallet that's not on the manifest, that I can't properly fix because we don't get pick labels, is going to completely screw my shortage numbers.

Back