Is anyone else's store getting rid of cart guys?

My store recently merged the cart guy position (excuse me, FSA or whatever they're being called) with guest services. If you're hired for guest services, guess what, you are going to do carts at some point!

We've lost 3 people in the last month to this nonsense. And I quote "this is not what I was hired for."

This just doesn't make any sense...they know it's a shit position so they merge it with a slightly less shit one. It's not going to reduce turnover.

I was taking to our FSA just yesterday and he mentioned this.

He was watching the self checkout.

He also mentioned they just hired another FSA and gave him less of those shifts

How would this work at a busy store? On Saturdays we usually need 2 cart attendants and 2 guest services people. There is no way just 2 could do both.

I was taking to our FSA just yesterday and he mentioned this.

He was watching the self checkout.

He also mentioned they just hired another FSA and gave him less of those shifts
Our FSA has watched sco and cashiered for years. They also will work at guest service if needed. Sometimes when carts get really low, cashiers will get carts. Our front end tms are all trained to do all front end tasks. They don't necessarily ever do them all (most senior citizen tms don't do carts or drive up. Others will never be at guest service because they are not comfortable with the higher stress level for a variety of reasons. The reasons for some tms not doing some of the jobs they have been trained for is not my business. I'm sure the training is all part of some magic metric. )

How would this work at a busy store? On Saturdays we usually need 2 cart attendants and 2 guest services people. There is no way just 2 could do both.
At our store after 4 pm we had 2 GS people so...that tells you what you need to know about our store. We almost never have 2 cart guys on at once.

Last edited:
I've never seen my GSEs do any Cart Attendant duties, but our Cart Attendants do everything: Register, Guest Service, Starbucks Drive Up, plys all their normal duties... have for years

Back