Archived Is it even worth it being a TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be biased, but I think BRTL is the hardest TL position there is, maybe next to PPTL.

I was already at TL pay from my previous position (I tried to negotiate there, was shut down hard), so I only got $2 for next paygrade and key carrier. I'm still not sure if it's worth what I've taken on, but I know I'm stronger and more capable than any other TL in the building. I hope your store culture at the leadership level is better than mine, or your life will not be easy.

If you're looking to be a TL and possibly beyond, it's not a bad role to take. Log roles are the toughest, and will further your development substantially.

I think I could argue that Flow TL (in HV stores where there is only 1, like mine) could potentially be harder than BRTL, but in all honesty I would agree that PPTL is the hardest TL position in the store (Honorable mention to SFTL over Market).

honesty I would agree that PPTL is the hardest TL position in the store (Honorable mention to SFTL over Market).

I agree. Takes a lot of planning. Ours left and I wouldn't take it even if they offered more.

Is PP - pricing and presentation? We have a seperate for each one.

A lot of stores combine the two positions. We used to have one for each in my store, then the Presentation TL got saddled with Price Accuracy. I imagine it works okay if you're in a smaller store and you have leadership that values the two work centers. But that's all I can do, imagine.

This is seriously such a depressing thread. It's helped me make up my mind though. ~6mos ago my TL (who is no longer at my store) asked if I had any interest in becoming a TL & I wasn't really sure- I thought so, but felt like I needed a bit more time.

Now I feel like (in terms of work knowledge) I'd be good to start the process (although I'm currently in a horrific spot in my personal life, so it'd definitely be a bad decision to pursue it at the moment lol) but yea...reading this and realizing, like someone said, I'd be taking home roughly $100 more each month...there's no way that's worth it.

That's really unfortunate. I think I could potentially be pretty good at it, but I feel like Target is literally draining every ounce of energy out of me even just as a team member...there's no way that would let up if I moved to TL!!

I think Flow is one of the hardest TL positions. Typically runs the largest team, works crazy hours (especially during holidays,) and has the most diverse team. If Flow falls apart, the whole store starts to fall apart. Largest team that has the biggest effect on the store.

No thank you.
Not to mention it's probably the most thankless job. You're in a crunch to get everything done ASAP, and as a result you gotta cut corners, then you get chewed out for everything. Everyone hates flow team and blames them for it.

Also, flow team did 9/11.

This is seriously such a depressing thread. It's helped me make up my mind though. ~6mos ago my TL (who is no longer at my store) asked if I had any interest in becoming a TL & I wasn't really sure- I thought so, but felt like I needed a bit more time.

Now I feel like (in terms of work knowledge) I'd be good to start the process (although I'm currently in a horrific spot in my personal life, so it'd definitely be a bad decision to pursue it at the moment lol) but yea...reading this and realizing, like someone said, I'd be taking home roughly $100 more each month...there's no way that's worth it.

That's really unfortunate. I think I could potentially be pretty good at it, but I feel like Target is literally draining every ounce of energy out of me even just as a team member...there's no way that would let up if I moved to TL!!
Its more than $100 a month if you get $3 its $240 a month if you get $4 its $320 a month which sounds pretty good but when you start to break it up its not worth it at all. At $3 its only $24 more dollars a day lol and you have to deal with stress, call outs, coaching, ect ect. No way its worth it!

I think I could argue that Flow TL (in HV stores where there is only 1, like mine) could potentially be harder than BRTL, but in all honesty I would agree that PPTL is the hardest TL position in the store (Honorable mention to SFTL over Market).
I still have to say its BRTL. Flow has a bigger team and all they do at least in my store is push and the flow TL is lazy. They dont do defectives, I do. They leave unpushed stuff laying around and they leave early. Even if its a small truck the BRTL has to deal with 700 transiton while flow TL all they do is stack on pallets. On top of that you have to deal with instocks, RFID scan, Receiving wich is an entire challenging position in itself, oh yeah and lets just throw them flex oh yeah and also ship from store! That 6 workcenters right there!

Try to negotiate being a key carrier as well. If the store isn't overnight, it will come in handy to be able to get in without having to wait for the Flow TL or the ETL.

Our BRTL is a key carrier for that reason. We even had a non-Sr PPTL key carrier so they could do overnight sets and come in early on Sundays.

How I wish I had keys. I once waited in my car for a half hour with 5 other team members.

Not to mention it's probably the most thankless job. You're in a crunch to get everything done ASAP, and as a result you gotta cut corners, then you get chewed out for everything. Everyone hates flow team and blames them for it.

Also, flow team did 9/11.

This is so true. Granted my flow TL rules. Flow team is by far the most hated team in my store and the one I trained at.

Most of them are good people but I swear every flow team has several lazy bums who have no regard for capacities, refuse to backstock, cant read labels and leave God awful messes in the breakroom and bathroom.

I still have to say its BRTL. Flow has a bigger team and all they do at least in my store is push and the flow TL is lazy. They dont do defectives, I do. They leave unpushed stuff laying around and they leave early. Even if its a small truck the BRTL has to deal with 700 transiton while flow TL all they do is stack on pallets. On top of that you have to deal with instocks, RFID scan, Receiving wich is an entire challenging position in itself, oh yeah and lets just throw them flex oh yeah and also ship from store! That 6 workcenters right there!
You consider RFID a workcenter? Its part of the instocks process. Ship from store is part of the Flexible Fulfillment workcenter.

At my store, Flow TL owns instocks. If we get transition, our PPTL and her ONE regular team member are in there breaking down the pallets and sorting them. idk, my store kinda babies the backroom. Its 1 o'clock. All leadership is helping pull the batches so they're really never in danger of being late. Hours get funneled into AM BR so they can come clean every day. Its nice having a clean backroom every day but it sucks up hours. Are we over hours and need to cut TMs? Those hours sure as hell aren't coming from BR.

idk, I don't think BR TL at my store would be too difficult. And I think it comes down to how your store supports each workcenter that determines how difficult it is. Our PPTL has one team member. Occasionally she'll get a BR TM dedicated to pulling batches for her but 2 people to do entire sets is absolutely insane. I wouldn't want to be in her position.

Mmmmmmm I'll pass. I'll just drive the forklift all day.

Thanks.

I'd be taking home roughly $100 more each month...there's no way that's worth it.
If it's a $3 raise, that's an extra $240 per paycheck (more if you don't currently work 40 hour weeks)...not sure where you get $100 per month.

When I was benched, the major point stressed to me is dont be in it for the money. The money will come, target takes care of their leaders. Promoting to TL opens many doors but its not about the money. Youve got to want the job.

Youve also got to be a good motivator. I think its worth it and I look forward to when the opportunity rises. Unfortunately my ETLs are in love with me so they dont want me to leave the store so ill be waiting for the opportunity to pop up at my store which is a long waiting game but im okay with that. Ive got a lot of mentoring left to soak in and knowledge to grasp.

It is worth it, you can change peoples lives.

I think a lot of people are looking at this in the wrong way.

My thoughts if your a backroom TL that opens a lot of doors.

Temporary Pain for Potential Long Term Gain.

If you succeed you have the potential to be an ETL which could in turn become a STL. Or you open doors to other warehouses like Amazon which pay a lot more.

Also they pay for college classes as a TL so why not?

I think a lot of people are looking at this in the wrong way.

My thoughts if your a backroom TL that opens a lot of doors.

Temporary Pain for Potential Long Term Gain.

If you succeed you have the potential to be an ETL which could in turn become a STL. Or you open doors to other warehouses like Amazon which pay a lot more.

Also they pay for college classes as a TL so why not?

Lets be real though, Target hires the majority of its ETLs from outside the company. Unlike Costco which truly promotes from within, a TL position is almost a dead end job.

Agree you could get a nice job with Amazon and the tuition reimbursement is nice. But it is not a ladder to the top of the company.

My 1+ year, i've seen a consumables TL promotion, starbucks TL promotion, BR TL promotion, flow TL promotion, TL -> SRTL and i think thats it wow. I agree, i think it is a dead end job.

Several ETLS, 3 STLs, and a DTL in the last five years. Also the equivalent positions at other companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back