Archived Is it normal for stores to have basically no training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working at Target for about a year now and I think it's pretty decent overall. However, probably the most negative aspect I've seen has been their abysmal "training" process.

I started in Hardlines and my "training" consisted of a TM showing me how to zone for 5 minutes then basically leaving me alone for the rest of the day. Nothing about CAFs, reshop, reading labels, using the MyDevice, etc. I just had to learn as I went along and by asking random people I saw questions. Luckily I had retail experience before so I managed to get by, but I'd imagine this would be even more intimidating for those who didn't.

At first I thought it might have just been Hardlines or a particularly bad trainer I got, but I talked to a Backroom TM whose training consisted of showing how to backstock and pull a CAF in a span of 5 minutes, then was thrown to the wolves. She said nobody showed her how to use the wave until she worked there 3 months! Also, a cashier told me he just shadowed another cashier for a measly hour, then was immediately put on his own lane.

I never touched a computer either, until deadlines approached and HR had to cover their ass and get me to sign stuff saying I learned stuff I never did.

Although I like Target, I have to say their "training" process (it's a stetch to even call it that!) is probably the worst I've seen, or even heard of for that matter. Is this across the entire company, or is my store just particularly bad at it?

thats Target training for you!

I'm a Backroom trainer. They expect us new TMs should be able to learn everything in just 3 days and should be able to work as fast like us.

People I've spoken to said they don't want there "hand" held, just formal, adequate training. I think it's Retailers Worldwide though, not just Target. With Hours being cut, don't think sufficient time can be given for "correct" training..

Yes. Just caught a new Flow TM about to cut into a multi-pack. Could we at least make sure these new hires know how to read both a pick label and a shelf label before we set them loose on the sales floor?

People I've spoken to said they don't want there "hand" held, just formal, adequate training. I think it's Retailers Worldwide though, not just Target. With Hours being cut, don't think sufficient time can be given for "correct" training..

I get that they don't want to "waste" productivity, but this really seems like a major case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Decent training would decrease mistakes and save TMs from constantly having to clean up the messes from newbies. For instance, I screwed up quite a bit in my first few weeks, most of which likely wouldn't have happened had I received adequate training. Also, people are more likely to stay and work harder when they feel comfortable and actually know what they're doing, as opposed to throwing them to the wolves on day 1. Then you wouldn't have to go through the long and expensive process of hiring someone else yet again. I'm nearly certain this "cost saving" measure of essentially abolishing training is almost certainly counterproductive.

Yes. Just caught a new Flow TM about to cut into a multi-pack. Could we at least make sure these new hires know how to read both a pick label and a shelf label before we set them loose on the sales floor?

Yeah, I remember a few days in I asked a random TM walking by to help me find an item's location, and they were completely appalled that nobody bothered to show me how to read the labels.

It's just as bad in Deli, which is horrifying to me since we deal with food. We basically start with, "this is how you use the slicers, don't stick your hand in there and turn it off before you take the chub off," with the rest of the training happening as tasks are done, which slows everything down. The trainee misses out on training if they get stuck on slicing while their "trainer" has to deal with the fryers or other tasks. It's a complete disaster, especially when a new TM is given their first closing shift on their own. I write up a list of what's left to be done, but I always seem to forget something. Plus I'm always terrified that the newbies are going to cut themselves cleaning the slicers if I've never seen them clean one before.

LOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like when they slash pouches of cat food not to just stuff it back into the box and backstock it. Yep leaking cat food that is fish based boxed for someone to find a few days later..

The we have given up on the multipacks after defecting over 15 of those six packs of dog food out. That every other week isn't a big enough deal to actually train or coach.

Nope, that's normal. I'm still salty because a girl who's only been here for a month and a half got to train a a guy I got hired here and another girl. I've been a cashier for almost half a year and now. Every time I walked by I checked in and all I saw was she basically made them shadow her, then she watched them ring up over their shoulders and switched back and forth between the two. I kind of get it, though. I picked up most of my cashier experience by just going with it and asking questions when an error came up. But she could of definitely done more than just "Hey, watch me, okay?" and "Okay, wanna try? I don't care hop on I'll be right here if you need me." (the last one may be an exaggeration and probably went more like "Okay, I'm gonna have you try now.")

I'm getting into Carts/Hardlines. When I got put on some hardlines/freight stuff because of an overabundance of cashiers (back in the good old days known as summer and seasonal working lol.) I got maybe a 3 minute run down and the rest of it was up to me to find out who the other workers were working and who the TL was on site... I had no idea. I found out eventually. My ETL actually told me how to read labels and schematics. I learned how to put shelves on and put labels on(this was when I had to find out who the TL was lol.) and it was overall okay. I was told how to read the schematics and everything else was basically common sense, I just couldn't let myself over-complicate it.

Today's my first full cart attendant shift and I've never received training on it... just that I've helped do carts before most days when we had only 2 CAs with REALLY limited availability. My GSTL asked me about it on my 90 day review a few weeks ago and I said "Sure yeah I like pushing carts" and the schedule had me for carts the next week lol. I have no idea how to clean spills, bathrooms, or normal CA routines besides pushing carts. As far as I know, I'm not certified legally to even clean spills according to Target in the case of not being trained... which I'm not.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you have a walkie ask for your TL and go to a different walkie channel and chat there. I've only ever had one TL feel annoyed to help me, and she was my GSTL. She's been nice to be for some reason for like the last few weeks, it's weird lol. It never bothered me much when she called me out in front of customers or sternly/rather loudly told me what I did wrong and how I could fix it and that I needed her approval to do ANYTHING(well, not everything, basically everything I guess in her POV.) but now that she's being nice and... friendly. It irks me.

My Signing TM Training, involved mostly, backstocking the truck, helping Pricing with whatever, Pushing Toy's in December, then when that's done I was to ask my TL/ETL what to do next... Never actually did my Signing Learning Plan.

I was a PA before, so thankfully, I knew what backstocking, pushing, and being the store's bitch was all about before...

I had zero training for my first hardline shift. I had to ask various TM's WTF to do.

Its a bad cycle. New team members get no training, old team members frustrated with new team members lack of training, new team members quit because they feel everyone hates them, Target hires new team members and give them equally bad training. Rinse and repeat.

I think it depends on your store though, the one I trained at the HR would fight with ETLs to let their new TMs get computer training. Some things you just learn by just doing it but not all.

I think it varies by store. During my first week I had 5 minutes of cashier training & I spent my first shift working with my TL and they made sure I did my computer training before I did anything else. The rest I kind of learned along the way. It's really not much different from when I worked at Walmart pretty much all my training was on the computer and then they threw me onto the floor and expected a coworker to show me how to do things and leave me to it.

I get that they don't want to "waste" productivity, but this really seems like a major case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Decent training would decrease mistakes and save TMs from constantly having to clean up the messes from newbies. For instance, I screwed up quite a bit in my first few weeks, most of which likely wouldn't have happened had I received adequate training. Also, people are more likely to stay and work harder when they feel comfortable and actually know what they're doing, as opposed to throwing them to the wolves on day 1. Then you wouldn't have to go through the long and expensive process of hiring someone else yet again. I'm nearly certain this "cost saving" measure of essentially abolishing training is almost certainly counterproductive.
I agree 100%. Just take the necessary steps and investment in developing everyone and trust me, the results will show.. Throwing into the wolves will NOT help your cause

Sales floor training? Pretty good.
Cashier training? The GSA that was supposed to train me didn't even interact with me at all. I don't think I ever saw her.
This new kid got lucky. He got really good cashier training from this nice older lady who's been with us for 20 years

I'm coming up on two years now and when I started, my training was two weeks and I had 20 hours both weeks. I had a learning plan that was checked off and followed up with. Now I'm moving to a new work center and my "training" was 20 hours total, no learning plan or any type of plan for what I needed to learn. I'm also training my replacement for my current work center and was only allocated 10 hours total to train her. Target is awful with training. You wonder why retention is so bad? It's because new hires with little or no retail experience feel helpless on their own and receive no support with training or after the fact. All I can do is make sure to do a kick ass job of training my replacement so I know I did everything in my power (with little resources) to set her up for success.

Target is kinda stoopid, IMO.

I swear... just promote me to a level where I could change/affect shit...

Watch the profits roll in.
aaf_shifty.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back