Archived Is it true that former employees that were marked “non rehirable” are actually eligible for rehire now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine works hr at some store and said they no longer check or no longer keep track of this or whatever and I just found it impossible to believe.

She said it has something to do with the extreme levels of turnover but frankly I don’t believe her.

Does anyone know one way or the other? I don’t want to come back... I walked out of an 80k a year job with target for 35k and I’ve never been happier in terms of my work life but you never know what the future holds...

It has to do with target switching to workday.

Our etl hr told us that the only thing that will be flagged now is serious conduct terminations that headquarters will catch. Other than that, store side we can no longer access the old system to see if someone has ever worked for target.

Yes but.. If we remember you and why you left then it's likely you will get hired.

It has to do with target switching to workday.

Our etl hr told us that the only thing that will be flagged now is serious conduct terminations that headquarters will catch. Other than that, store side we can no longer access the old system to see if someone has ever worked for target.

This is what I was looking for. Thank you.

On a completely unrelated note, I was talking to a TL and they said that management had approached them about development to become an ETL. I said, you can't be an ETL, you don't have a college degree. The TL said apparently that is no longer a requirement. This TL is one I respect and does not make things up. Also, I had a degree when I started for Spot, and after a week at my first store knew I would never want to be an ETL.

Anyone else know if this is true? Just curious.

I have an interview for today, and I was almost certainly marked as being nonrehireable four years ago. I wasn't aware of this change before applying again, I just did so with the expectation that the application would be tossed, but that if it was I wasn't really losing much by trying, and that if it wasn't - great.

Of course, getting an interview, and getting re-hired are two different things.

An old SrTL I worked with is now an ETL at another store. He never finished his degree. I know another non-degreed person in development to be an ETL.
Spot may also be contemplating lowering the starting salary of new ETLs. Don't want to pay for that degree and get TMs &TLs to jump at making a livable wage.

Spot may also be contemplating lowering the starting salary of new ETLs. Don't want to pay for that degree and get TMs &TLs to jump at making a livable wage.
I wonder. They're also teaching TLs to do a lot of what used to be ETL-only fare (CO, etc.) and having some carry keys. They can't ask the hourly TLs to work 50-60 hours a week, but that's the expectation for an ETL, according to more than one of mine. (At least two in our store work stupid long hours. I'd like to take their salary, do the math, and see how much they're really making.)

The problem with being salaried is that places will work you into the ground. When I worked in my degree field, I made far less money than I'm making at Spot, especially taking all the OT I pulled into account.

No degree requirement is a great thing IMO.

I don't mean to discredit the time and effort someone put into earning their degree if they have one.

That said, if you have, for example, a degree in cosmetology, it doesn't have a lot of practical use working at Target, except that it may allow you to suggest what kinds of cosmetic items guests should purchase. It's useful on the job, but not something that makes someone a great ETL necessarily.

Having a degree that relates to your job is great, any other degree is far less useful.

The problem is many employers used the argument that a degree shows work ethic and drive. And they're right, it does. As such, when two outside applicants both apply for a job, I am all for hiring the one with the degree.

There is however a flipside. Know what else should show work ethic and drive? Work history, especially work history with the company in question. If I have worked for a company for five years, that should tell them far more about my work ethic and drive to succeed than someone else's degree should.

I wonder. They're also teaching TLs to do a lot of what used to be ETL-only fare (CO, etc.) and having some carry keys.

That stuff was never ETL-only.

When I used to be the closing GSA, I was usually closing alongside a SrTL, not an ETL.

Oh, me, too, but not a TL (without the Sr.) pre-modernization. Now, TLs often close the store on weekends where I am (though that could be ASANTS).

I was able to promote to ETL exactly four years ago this month... without a degree. I was one of the first through the wall and definitely the first in my district after a very long period of nothing but degree holding ETLs.

I can't say for sure, I can only speculate... but my guess is that as the job market improved for job seekers, Target realized they could no longer get away with such a stringent requirement for a position that tenured TLs would be better at than a first job in my life college kid would anyways, and as such, they dropped the requirement. It's either that or they just realized how many of these kids coming out of college were just straight up failures at their job with no idea in the world how to lead... or maybe some combination of these things.

Like, who the hell wants to go to school for four years to end up at Target? No offense to Target employees... I did it for 10 years. I'm not too good for it. Nobody is... I'm just saying... I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars and countless hours and endless classroom boredom.... just to go to work for Target. No thanks. That's one of the reasons besides the aforementioned, that their ETL turnover was ungodly high, even when the job seeing market was bad for job seekers.

And to whoever said that you don't mean to belittle someone's degree and time and effort put into getting it... by all means, please do. Going to college for four years doesn't prove anything. You can still be a complete and utter moron with that piece of paper in your hands. I know too many people that meet this description. A four year degree means absolutely nothing. A masters means absolutely nothing. Doctorate? Now we're talking, it's usually only smart people that go that far, but even still... it's not a guarantee.

Last edited:
And to whoever said that you don't mean to belittle someone's degree and time and effort put into getting it... by all means, please do. Going to college for four years doesn't prove anything. You can still be a complete and utter moron with that piece of paper in your hands. I know too many people that meet this description. A four year degree means absolutely nothing. A masters means absolutely nothing. Doctorate? Now we're talking, it's usually only smart people that go that far, but even still... it's not a guarantee.

I think it means a fair amount if it is in a relevant field, but very little otherwise. Far too many jobs in my opinion have a listed requirement of, "A Bachelors Degree".

A "Bachelors in Computer Science" for a programming position is fair, as is a "Bachelors in Mathematics" for a job working as an actuary, but neither of those degrees are super useful for a job at Target.

I think it means a fair amount if it is in a relevant field, but very little otherwise. Far too many jobs in my opinion have a listed requirement of, "A Bachelors Degree".

A "Bachelors in Computer Science" for a programming position is fair, as is a "Bachelors in Mathematics" for a job working as an actuary, but neither of those degrees are super useful for a job at Target.

Oh, I agree, but... off the top of my head pulling this out of my ass, the only degrees worth anything that apply to working at Target stores would probably be psychology related degrees... and even then that's only so useful. There is nothing done at Target stores that requires higher education. Absolutely nothing. From the STL all the way down to the cart attendant working 4 hours a week... those jobs are all a joke, intellectually speaking. Emotionally challenging, some of them, but that's about it.

When I moved Indeed was still sending me job alerts from the old place. Both are major metropolitan areas not that far apart. I would see alerts for jobs that matched my experience, had the same experience requirement, had identical job duties. But nearly all in the old area required a high school diploma and nearly all in the new area required a Bachelor's, usually in business. I never understood it.

I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars and countless hours and endless classroom boredom.... just to go to work for Target.

I have a feeling that many newly graduated people look at their college loan debt and see what Target is paying. It is a good way to get a quick start on paying down that debt, gain real world job experience, and use that starting Spot salary to negotiate a hirer rate at their next job.

Oh, I agree, but... off the top of my head pulling this out of my ass, the only degrees worth anything that apply to working at Target stores would probably be psychology related degrees... and even then that's only so useful. There is nothing done at Target stores that requires higher education. Absolutely nothing. From the STL all the way down to the cart attendant working 4 hours a week... those jobs are all a joke, intellectually speaking. Emotionally challenging, some of them, but that's about it.
Umm, well, you don't need to be a genius, but a certain level of intellect is helpful and even necessary. I take umbrage at being told my job is intellectually a joke. Considering how many of my peers seem to have trouble even putting a piece of clothing on a hanger properly, I think it's safe to say that my duties require a few brain cells.

Hmm, not sure how rehireable I am, but at the very least I can seemingly get interviews.

Rejection email literally nearly beat me home today from the interview.

I saw one of the SrTL's from my old store at the store I interviewed at, she was as friendly as could be, and said she looked forward to working with me again and named another employee from my old store who had also moved to this store. She however didn't actually do my interview, and her shift ended during my interview. I'd expected that the people that did interview me would at least speak to her before sending an email response, but I'm guessing they didn't.

That said, they seemed to be primarily interviewing me for Flexible Fulfillment instead of Guest Advocate which I'd have preferred anyway.

I decided to apply to my old store after seeing the email they sent regarding the interview, and they responded less than 15 minutes later asking me to interview with them as well.

Umm, well, you don't need to be a genius, but a certain level of intellect is helpful and even necessary. I take umbrage at being told my job is intellectually a joke. Considering how many of my peers seem to have trouble even putting a piece of clothing on a hanger properly, I think it's safe to say that my duties require a few brain cells.

Yeah well I did everything from photo lab team member to ETL Logistics overnights in an 80-90 million dollar store... once you've learned the job, it's just repetitive muscle memory... sorry, I'm not insulting your intellect... but your job does indeed not require much brain power. Just because you have coworkers that are brain dead doesn't mean you're doing something intellectually challenging. Your personal IQ could be 150 for all I know, though I doubt it based on that response... my point is that not even the STL has an intellectually challenging job. It's... retail...

For the record, my IQ is pushing 140 and the job I have now is even less intellectually challenging than Target was, for what it's worth... don't take things so personal.

Last edited:
I don't think I was ever particularly intellectually challenged working at Target. Crunched for time to finish tasks? Sure, but that wasn't a matter of intelligence, it was a matter of superiors not scheduling enough people.

That said, I had plenty of colleagues that struggled with the most basic of tasks. That however doesn't make the tasks hard, it just makes those people inept.

If Target jobs have an IQ barrier, I'd consider it in the ballpark of 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back