Answered Is my lead in the wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story long, i've been a DBO of consumables since 2018 up until right now, corona hits i take 2 weeks off bc doctor quarantined me, later on get a negative covid antibody test so take 30 days for vulnerable leave, upon returning i'm not in consumables anymore and theyve removed me from owning any area in consumables, still to this day have not mentioned this to me, then cut my hours in half and put someone new in consumables, the problem however is, i was informed by my peers that i was removed as a DBO because of my "attendance" which has never been mentioned to me, went to look at my attendance and ive only called out once this year and have not been shown as late either, Aside from me finding it really disrespectful for a lead to tell my coworkers about my work performance as it is nobodys business but my own, i find it very odd that it is an issue yet it has never been mentioned to me. Feels shady lmao, thanks in advance if anybody reads this.

That's how corporate America is. Sucks. Years ago while working with a Fortune 500 engineering firm some of the guys were seeing medical professionals for a variety of afflictions. Shit happens, minor injuries, test results that need remediation, general Dr visits to insure well being etc. We were retaliated against using the bullshit "attendance" crap. At the same time a couple of employees who shall I say were protected species called out constantly, were habitually late, were very difficult to work with among other things were favored. Guys over 55? Best advice: save your money and protect yourself. Yes we had appointments and no, hardly any call offs.

Long story long, i've been a DBO of consumables since 2018 up until right now, corona hits i take 2 weeks off bc doctor quarantined me, later on get a negative covid antibody test so take 30 days for vulnerable leave, upon returning i'm not in consumables anymore and theyve removed me from owning any area in consumables, still to this day have not mentioned this to me, then cut my hours in half and put someone new in consumables, the problem however is, i was informed by my peers that i was removed as a DBO because of my "attendance" which has never been mentioned to me, went to look at my attendance and ive only called out once this year and have not been shown as late either, Aside from me finding it really disrespectful for a lead to tell my coworkers about my work performance as it is nobodys business but my own, i find it very odd that it is an issue yet it has never been mentioned to me. Feels shady lmao, thanks in advance if anybody reads this.

Just making sure I understand this correctly, you took 6 weeks off in total? 14 days quarantine (paid) and 30 days vuln leave (paid)?

Did you file for FMLA? If not, I would look specifically at the policies for the leave periods, and see if it mentions anything about holding positions under leave. If it doesn't, while they are asshats for shafting you, they're not breaking policy. Unfortunately morality isn't something they often factor in.

Sorry that this happened to you.

no i just expect my lead to not discuss my work performance with my peers as that seems inappropriate and not their business, also I took my LOA well after the rest of the team so i did work the worst of it lol.

If you haven’t addressed this with your Leader then... all I hear is gossip. And trust me, there are a LOT of team members milking COVID and unemployment right now. Not because they give a shit about there health, but because it’s 2020 and every lazy 20 something year old has 32 social media platforms that advertise there fun weeks rioting like worthless wastes of society.
Assuming your leader conducting themself unethically is the same as assuming you are taking advantage of the times while you can.

I would confront your tl, he should never have said anything to the others. As others have already said, things have drastically changed every single day and you shouldn’t be upset for losing the DBO spot. You weren’t removed because of a grudge. You were removed because that job has to be done, and like
it or not, no employer can just wait around like that
yeah i do not care about being DBO as i do not want him as my lead anyhow, just dont appreciate him telling my peers i have an attendance issue as it is not their business and it is not true

Sounds like a pretty shitty scenario, and not at all the norm IMO. I took a 2 month leave because I live with my 75 year old grandmother, and she was sick for a while and I didn't want to endanger her health by going to work and interacting with guests every day.

Between this week, next week, and the two weeks before this one I've worked (or will work for the days that have yet to pass) 144.75 hours (ie. 36.1875 hours per week), definitely not had hours cut in retaliation for taking my LOA, nor do I think anyone should be punished for doing such.

Everyone in my store that took leave did not have their position when they came back. Our 36 hour week for 4 years electronic TM now get 12 hours cleaning carts. They all get little hours and the worse jobs. Which I feel bad but I knew it was going to happen. Someone had to fill the spot.
That's absolutely horrible. That is worse than retaliation. This company by and large was known as being very decent about medical LOAs related to COVID-19 and quarantine requirements. Somebody at your particular Target who was shit-canned or mistreated ("did not have their position when they came back") should get this story out on social media.

I took almost 2.5 months of LOA and I’m getting 40 or close to 40 hrs every week excluding the week I came back to work . I’m doing the same work and a little more in fact . So this is not the case with all stores . That’s why you better clear your side by talking directly than assuming things.

I don’t remember exactly the timeline that have given. I read in their LOA clause that if you take loa for more than a certain period , you will still get your job back but might not be in the same department .

I plan on just having a meeting about it I’d like to find it in writing that it is a rule of target to not discuss these things with team members but I can’t find it in writing, they don’t really like being called out on anything as I’ve done it a couple times at this point over issues far worse than this even, almost not worth trying
This is something that doesn't need to be in writing. Discussing details about your job performance with your co-workers just should not be done, and your TL should already know that. I used to work in HR (totally different industry) and even in situations where people worked with the same client, I would never discuss one employee's job performance with another one at the same level. (There were times when it was appropriate to talk about this with someone else at my level or above, but I'd never discuss an employee with one of their coworkers.)
Keep your meeting professional, maybe jot down some notes in case you might get upset and lose your train of thought. What your TL did is not kosher. Their boss and/or HR should know about it too.

I had a scenario when our VM (she was leading that closing night and this was a few years back) walkied me to coach me. Long story short I only had 5 minutes before the end of my shift. She wanted me to “super zoned” an area with that 5 mins. I did what I can with the time I was given. When I was on my way to the timeclock, she called me on the walkie to go on another channel to let me know that “I did not try hard enough to zone the area etc” over the walkie. And of course I have team members next to me and for all the guests to hear.
Then a few days later when I came back, I asked to talk to her in private. I told her that it was not professional to coached me over the walkie as there was a chance for people to hear. And if she needed to coach me, she can pull me aside for a one on one in private. I told her I am open to be coached, but it’s has to be done where we can talk like adults so we can discuss what we can do to improve especially the zone that night. We both apologize to each other and met halfway. I guess for my situation, we were able to discuss it before it gets to next level. And she also realized what she has done was not professional especially when guests can hear the conversation very loud on a walkie.

I would confront your tl, he should never have said anything to the others. As others have already said, things have drastically changed every single day and you shouldn’t be upset for losing the DBO spot. You weren’t removed because of a grudge. You were removed because that job has to be done, and like
it or not, no employer can just wait around like that
So why can employers wait around for 12 weeks of FMLA? That's even longer, gotta be put back in the same position you left, employers manage that miracle all the time.

So why can employers wait around for 12 weeks of FMLA? That's even longer, gotta be put back in the same position you left, employers manage that miracle all the time.
i took two weeks in early march and then the month of june, they actually didnt have anyone covering my spot until i got back and then they moved someone over there and scheduled me front end for two weeks and now theyve just stopped scheduling me for the most part lol.

If you were on FMLA then the loss of hours would be extremely suspect for retaliation. Talking to the appropriate government agencies (don't recall which one right off) would make your Target cry.

I havent replied to this because i don't want to come off the wrong way but if the TL replaced you with someome else they obviously didn't want you back. Your probably better off under a different leader. Id assume all positions in the store would be considered an equal position considering everyone is the same pay grade now. As for loss of hours that sucks but knowing target it would be pretty hard to prove IMO. I would never tell you to not fight it if you feel strongly enough but having seen this stuff a number of times from other loas if you are a hard worker theyll give you your hours back pretty quickly. Somebody else will be the new scapegoat and be the next person screwed
Edit to add about tl being in the wrong
They shouldn't say anything about performance or attendance, but ive seen so much stuff get over exaggerated by other tms that i cant say he did or didnt say anything malicous. Its best for all tl to just not say anything, which obviously they didnt do

Last edited:
I havent replied to this because i don't want to come off the wrong way but if the TL replaced you with someome else they obviously didn't want you back. Your probably better off under a different leader. Id assume all positions in the store would be considered an equal position considering everyone is the same pay grade now. As for loss of hours that sucks but knowing target it would be pretty hard to prove IMO. I would never tell you to not fight it if you feel strongly enough but having seen this stuff a number of times from other loas if you are a hard worker theyll give you your hours back pretty quickly. Somebody else will be the new scapegoat and be the next person screwed
Edit to add about tl being in the wrong
They shouldn't say anything about performance or attendance, but ive seen so much stuff get over exaggerated by other tms that i cant say he did or didnt say anything malicous. Its best for all tl to just not say anything, which obviously they didnt do
thanks! im switching departments as soon as possible and i have my hours back so i guess bringing it up made them sweat lol.

thanks! im switching departments as soon as possible and i have my hours back so i guess bringing it up made them sweat lol.
Good the asshole should not have aired your personal business or removed you from your role just because you were quarantined. Retaliation should not be tolerated in anyway. Good you got your hours back. Also that you got away from that ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back